What are your favorite fermented foods?

Options
BT_rescuemom
BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
I like sauerkraut. Homemade is quite easy to make. Kombucha and kefir are also ones that I like, and have made myself previously, although I haven't eaten either so far on Keto. Right now I have a jar of Meyer lemons fermenting. I plan to use them in chicken dishes.

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    That sounds good! I like sauerkraut, kefir and kim-chee myself. Haven't tried to make any of them because I am the only person in the house that will eat any of them.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I like sauerkraut. Homemade is quite easy to make. Kombucha and kefir are also ones that I like, and have made myself previously, although I haven't eaten either so far on Keto. Right now I have a jar of Meyer lemons fermenting. I plan to use them in chicken dishes.

Cool. Got a site or guidebook you like?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    My gut seems healthy so I've never targeted eating fermented foods. I eat yogurt and sauerkraut. I like them. I'll try kimchi sometime. Cabbage and spicy is appealing to me. When I was a kid we always had a crock of sauerkraut fermenting but I've not made it yet. I did make my own yogurt back in my hippie days. Pickles are fermented. I make my own salt water pickles just like my Grandma's. She always had a crock in the basement especially during "pickle season" in the garden.
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Cool. Got a site or guidebook you like?

Pinterest is my friend. I think I have a book at home but I can't remember the name offhand. I'll check later. But mostly I just look up recipes on the internets.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I love making kraut, but I've just been too busy lately. I've been thinking about making soymilk kefir or yogurt for my oldest son who can't have yogurt due to lactose intolerance. The soy yogurt they sell is full of sugar and ridiculously priced.
  • starbean
    starbean Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I make homemade whole milk yogurt and sauerkraut. They are delicious and so healthy! Good digestive flora even supports mental health and mood.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I love sauerkraut, kefir, and kimchi (not too spicy, though). I make my sauerkraut and started making milk kefir (ridiculously easy, imo). Kimchi I buy, but haven't since moving to Nevada; haven't found a Korean market close to me.
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    Oh kimchi. Yum. I want to make that too. Pretty soon I'll have jars of random fermenting things all over my counters.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I've never thought about making sauerkraut but now I'm intrigued..
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    I've never thought about making sauerkraut but now I'm intrigued..

Oh it's so easy and so good. And you get a workout doing it! Just cabbage and salt. I like to use Real Salt brand.
  • kdz0444
    kdz0444 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love sauerkraut. I eat it everyday. I drink the juice like some people drink pickle juice. We don't make it though. I buy Bubbies Sauerkraut at sprouts usually.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I mean, do I just toss salt and cabbage in a jar and stuff it down? I'm not sure what's involved, haha.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Sauerkraut, kimchee, yogourt, and fermented fish sauce if you want to count that, because we only use it to season recipes - we don't dunk food in it as a condiment, lol. I am intrigued by Iceland's hakarl (fermented shark meat) and súrir hrútspungar (sour ram's testicles) and hvalspik (whale blubber cured in lactic acid) but I'm pretty sure I will never try them.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    I mean, do I just toss salt and cabbage in a jar and stuff it down? I'm not sure what's involved, haha.

Stupid Easy Sauerkraut
    https://stupideasypaleo.com/2012/05/16/make-your-own-sauerkraut/

My method deviation is that I don't use that much salt. And I divide the cabbage smashings into four rounds instead of 2. I find it easier to break it up like that personally. I almost never add water. I mash that cabbage until it gives me enough of its own juice.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    We love sauerkraut and kimchi in my house! I also use fermented black soy beans, miso paste and gluten free soy sauce.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Kimchi is definitely my favorite, with saurkraut as a close second. They both pair amazingly well with eggs. Until I started my runs of CKD and now RFL, that was my breakfast every morning. 6-8 scrambled eggs, with Kimchi dumped on it. The textures work well together, and the fact that I always liked hot sauce on my eggs made it all the better.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi and pickled fish. I am Norwegian so we love our pickled fish mmmm think rollmops but 100% better!
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Lutefisk? Or is that something different?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    In Laotian cuisine, they use this fermented fish sauce called padek and it is the stinkiest thing ever. But it makes things taste really good! It imparts an umami flavour onto food.

But it is one of the smelliest things I have ever dealt with. My mom used to keep it in a margarine tub and young me would go into the fridge to grab the margarine for my toast (pre-LC of course lol), open up the container, and get hit with a wretched smell. Blegh.

But I do like it in food!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Lutefisk? Or is that something different?

Oh Jesus Christ... it is fish in lye... there is a reason it is served with potatoes, bacon, butter and as much mustard as your taste buds can handle! Any fish that looks like jello gone bad should make you all run for your lives!

Sursild is the word you are looking for and OMG it is yummy!