Jo jo dieting

Options
Bonny132
Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
Some of the posts on here has made me think. I am sure a lot of us has been really silly in the past and tried out a lot of the fads, and learned a lesson or two. So let's share how silly we have been in the past, trying to loose the weight the wrong way. I will be the first one to admit the following:

1 I have been an idiot in the past

2 I wish I discovered this WOE many years ago. Currently my SO, my step daughter and her other half are all following this WOE with great results. We all love the food, options and how good it makes us feel.

But we (myself included) have tried every fad under the sun in the past.

So for a bit of fun, why not share your diet horror stories so we can all have a laugh at how silly we have been in the past, and compare notes. I am sure I am not the only one here, who wishes I was introduced to this WOE years ago.

So let me start:
Cabbage soup diet
Imagine 5 girls living together, eating cabbage soup for a week! We all lost between 6-10 pounds each in a week. Incredible you say? Sure, grumpyness and no energy was the least of our worries. The house reeked of cabbage. It took us days with all the windows open to get rid of the smell. We had to febreeze all the curtains, bedding and the sofa's.

All the laundry had to be rewashed as it smelled of cabbage, and here is the clincher, a week later, after suffering a week of cabbage soup hell... we all had put most of the weight back on again, and none of us could bear looking at a head of cabbage for years after that.

So over to you guys, please tell me you can top my stupidity and remind us all that fad diets just do not work, but this WOE does!

Replies

• Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Herbalife ~ Had a month free trial through a friend on this garbage. You did lose weight but when it was over the weight came right back on + friends.

In my younger years, DEXATRIM - OMG I'm surprised I didn't kill myself. Dexatrim and coffee. That was cool. Talk about peeling me off the ceiling. It pretty much assured I wouldn't eat for days. I'll give it that.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Alli. Do I need to day more?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    +1 on cabbage soup diet - to drop weight for prom because my dress didn't fit when I got it.

Amphetamines, Dr. Bernstein diet, eating only 1000 calories per day (but then binging after 3 days), RICE CAKES (lol), any diet pill you could buy at the drug store...I was an idiot.
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I did lighterlife (TFR) - lost loads of weight ended up having an almighty binge on KFC and ended up in hospital thinking I was having a heart attack - thankfully was just indigestion, I have done TFR since then but always been careful about what I ate when I have gone back onto food - although find LCHF much better - lose about the same rate and easier to keep the weight off
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Metabolife! I lost like 15 pounds taking that "healthy" speed! Felt kinda awesome on it though. That was before my ADHD diagnosis and I think it actually helped with that! Lol
    Then when I started Adderall I did drop about 10 pounds and found that so motivating plus my attention and time management and focus was so good that I was able to start exercise that I stuck with for about 8 months and eating less, low fat, low calorie and lost 65 pounds that year. I had to work really hard at it though.
    Went from 205 to 145 and then gained 20 of that back over several years. Was 165 when I started keto. Am 140 now and it didn't really feel like much effort beyond the first week. Didn't stick with any exercise either. Go figure!
  • HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oh boy...probably the first time my husband and I tried regular low carb MANY MANY years ago. We ate so much bacon. I still have flashbacks anytime I see bacon now. I do eat it on occasion but only if someone else has cooked it for me. I can still remember the type/package we bought at the store.........
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    CICO, exercising strenuously 6 days a week, salads with low fat dressing every lunch and dinner, vegetarian diet, vegan diet, 900 calories a day diet. . . Those are just the ones I can remember - lol.

None of them gave me the kind of results I'm getting with LCHF and moderate exercise 3-4 days a week. I think I'll stay with this WOE, thank you very much!

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers. It helped to re-establish portion size for me but that dumb points system left me so hungry all the time! Ugh. I think I lasted 6 weeks and lost a pound per week. Not bad but I lose 2-3 times faster when low carb.

Funnily enough, I have almost always instinctually dropped baked goods and sugars when trying to lose weight. It worked. Mostly. My problem was reintroducing those foods. I would start slow but it was like a snowball rolling down a mountain... eventually you can't stop that momentum and I would regain it back. ;)

When I was younger I would add on more exercise too. That made more of a difference back then, but the exercise I could do was more vigorous than now. Want to drop 15 lbs? Train for a marathon and run 5 hours each weekend. Now? My hips hurt after walking an hour. LOL
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    My dad signed us both up for nutrisystem when I was 13. Eating disgusting dehydrated food did nothing to foster better eating habits for me. I think I lost 5 lbs, which I promptly regained. At 17 I would buy giant tubs of diet pills from Costco, which made me feel so high that I wanted to throw up all the time, making eating very unappealing. Guess that's why they took that stuff off the market. I lost 20 lbs and regained when I stopped taking the pills.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Oops

Ate LF for years.
    But developed CVD.
    Diabetes too.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    From the 60's, I vaguely recall some hell brew of lecithin, apple cider vinegar and brewer's yeast, to be gagged down three times a day. As an appetite suppressant, it worked wonders. For your digestive tract, not so much.

I believe that was about the same time when we were told we could achieve physical fitness by lying on the couch while a sinister looking gadget "exercised" our muscles by shooting electrical current into them. Don't know about the lecithin concoction but the gadget was banned after several people died so I'm thankful that my zany younger self knew at least enough not to send in a check or money order for THAT one.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    My mother, who unfortunately has been seriously overweight since she was a todder and morbidly obese as an adult has tried all kinds of crazy things. Ayds, a diet candy that was supposed to control appetite and the grapefruit-egg diet were two that seemed particularly awful. I tried Lean Line and Weight Watchers - they worked for a while but ...
  • RalfLott
    Options
    +1 on cabbage soup diet - to drop weight for prom because my dress didn't fit when I got it.

Amphetamines, Dr. Bernstein diet, eating only 1000 calories per day (but then binging after 3 days), RICE CAKES (lol), any diet pill you could buy at the drug store...I was an idiot.

Hmm. My regrets include not being on Dr. Bernstein's diet! Betcha the above Haiku would have had a different plot twist...
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    on the advice of a friend I went over the border to a "nutritionist" who just handed me a rx telling me to take one of them in the morning and one at night. Dropped 35lbs in 2'mos I was scary skinny (I was not big when I took them but in my 20s when thin is IN .no matter what lol) Well I applied for a job and had to drug test. I got big red NO to the job cuz my drug screen came back positive for METH what the heck! I didn't know the Dr gave me drugs! it's was terrible withdrawing from them, gained the weight back and then some :(
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    on the advice of a friend I went over the border to a "nutritionist" who just handed me a rx telling me to take one of them in the morning and one at night. Dropped 35lbs in 2'mos I was scary skinny (I was not big when I took them but in my 20s when thin is IN .no matter what lol) Well I applied for a job and had to drug test. I got big red NO to the job cuz my drug screen came back positive for METH what the heck! I didn't know the Dr gave me drugs! it's was terrible withdrawing from them, gained the weight back and then some :(

Duuuude! That is brutal!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    From the 60's, I vaguely recall some hell brew of lecithin, apple cider vinegar and brewer's yeast, to be gagged down three times a day. As an appetite suppressant, it worked wonders. For your digestive tract, not so much.

I believe that was about the same time when we were told we could achieve physical fitness by lying on the couch while a sinister looking gadget "exercised" our muscles by shooting electrical current into them. Don't know about the lecithin concoction but the gadget was banned after several people died so I'm thankful that my zany younger self knew at least enough not to send in a check or money order for THAT one.

Ah, the good old days!

And to think these were radical improvements over such illustrious predecessors as the Cigarette Diet ("Pass me a Lucky, and I'll pass on the sweets!") and the always enchanting Tapeworm Diet....
  • missholls910
    missholls910 Posts: 27 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Medifast...... ugh. I was always hungry and the food was terrible. It was glorified starvation.

There was also the b12 injections. The diet was keto but the "doctor" had me on supplements that must have had speed in them along with the b12 injections. I couldn't sleep, all I wanted to do was pace around the living room and chain smoke. I didn't want to tell me family that I was trying to lose weight so they were all convinced I was on drugs.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Medifast...... ugh. I was always hungry and the food was terrible. It was glorified starvation.

There was also the b12 injections. The diet was keto but the "doctor" had me on supplements that must have had speed in them along with the b12 injections. I couldn't sleep, all I wanted to do was pace around the living room and chain smoke. I didn't want to tell me family that I was trying to lose weight so they were all convinced I was on drugs.

Sounds allot like my afformentioned 'diet'.... And, @genmon00 omg!!!!! That's just wrong.

And @RalfLott tapeworm lololol, makes Kelly in The Office come to mind!