IF and coffee

Options
kimmydear
kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
I apologize since I know this has been asked more than once before, but at the time when I read those posts, I was not at all interested in intermittent fasting. Now I am! Weight loss has stalled since mid July and I need to try different things out. So....I think I can fast and only eat 11am-7pm, but how does coffee work into that? I don't think technically I am fasting if I am adding heavy cream, right? Can someone remind me that rule?

Replies

• MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I've heard less than 50 calories (1T HWC) and you're good.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    If you can do butter or MCT oil with your coffee it is a bit better because pure fats do not affect insulin response. There is a bit of carb in HWC - not much for 1 TBSP though, so it shouldn't really affect you. Dr. Fung (IF guru) suggests bone broth as an option if necessary.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks ladies, that's the info I was looking for. I've done butter and coconut oil in my coffee before. It's not my favorite, but I guess I'm ready to try other things to get past this stall.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You don't have to add anything st all if you don't want. But the reason that cream and some sweeteners end the fast is that they feed certain gut microbes and turn off FIAF (fasting induced adipose factor). The real problem with that is that it can trigger hunger and makes the fast more difficult. So using coconut oil, mct and/or butter don't feed the microbes and that's why it is often considered to not break the fast. It would make it so that you're using that fat for energy over stored body fat though, so keep that in mind.
    All of that said, fasting at all is better than never fasting, so if you simply cannot make yourself drink black or only BPC without cream, then do whatever you need to do.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    . . . the reason that cream and some sweeteners end the fast is that they feed certain gut microbes and turn off FIAF (fasting induced adipose factor). The real problem with that is that it can trigger hunger and makes the fast more difficult. So using coconut oil, mct and/or butter don't feed the microbes and that's why it is often considered to not break the fast. It would make it so that you're using that fat for energy over stored body fat though, so keep that in mind.

I did not know that. Thank you for the insight, @Sunny_Bunny_ !
  • kennygang
    kennygang Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cup of coffee when I wake up with about 1/2 T of hwc and then when I get to work I have my bpc with coconut oil and Kerry gold butter and it fills me until about 2p-3p. I do sometimes have some broth or another cup of coffee, black before I break my fast though. It's amazing that once you get used to not eating in the am you are not hungry. Its a great feeling.