Working out ?

Options
I keep hearing that we "need" carbs prior to working out ... And afterwards to recover. Yet, wouldn't this just throw us out of ketosis? I'm training for a half marathon and play water polo for a couple hours without breaks a few times a week - so I feel like my body should need ... Something? What have you all learned about keto and working out?

Replies

• jpmcbride
    jpmcbride Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm new to Keto and I workout, today I had Tuscan Broccoli (low carb) and steak before i exercised. Afterwards I had pepperoni and a cheese stick. I do a lot of cardio and I was able to push through without feeling fatigue.
  • stlslayerac
    stlslayerac Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So this is a very common question. When doing any kind of burst quick energy exercise you will notice a decrease in performance because the lack of glycogen stores in your muscles. Ex. Sprinting, power lifting... But the body actually likes using ketones when doing long term events such as marathon or couple hours of water polo. See you don't need the carbs unless you need utmost performance. There is a subreddit. http://
    Reddit.com/r/ketogains that will assist you with more information.
  • sisisisepuede
    sisisisepuede Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This is really helpful:)