Bodyweight Training for Beginner

Hi All

I am starting again on KETO after doing it many many years ago. One thing I notice is that weightloss is more if you mix both keto/LCHF with weight training. Now I have never been to the gym, and will never go to do weights at the gym. I was just curious as to get peoples input on basic bodyweight training I can do at home.

Here is my suggested starting point. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Push Ups: 3x12 reps
Dips: 3x12 reps
Dumbell Curls: 3x12 reps (strictly
Chin Ups: 3x12 reps (although I will probably only do 3!) lol
Lunges: 3x12 reps
Squats: 3x12 reps

Please also let me know of any that I can add to my list :)

PS I could not locate any previous threads about this :)

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Know that for the first 12 weeks or so on keto, you will have diminished returns on your training. Make sure to focus on your sodium and keeping it up, especially anytime you workout and/or sweat. After that 12 weeks, your muscles will be wired to fully use fats for fuel and you should notice increased performance.

Bodyweight Programs I've been told are decent:
    You are your own gym
    Convict Conditioning

I've not done much in this arena myself. Maybe others have more advice?

@baconslave @Shadowmf023 @Gallowmere1984 Others?
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Thanks for your input @KnitOrMiss
    I understand that, yet this wont stop me haha

I will have a look at these programs for some ideas. Thank you.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Convict would likely be your best bet. If you can get a pullup bar, a bedsheet (or rope), and a weighted vest, you'd be amazed at what kind of resistance work can be had.

But yeah, expect your performance to suck for the first few weeks.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Agreed with the suggestions for the programs above. I don't do much bodyweight anymore, mine's more a mix of machines and barbell training now. I only use bodyweight for ab work and warming up these days.

That said, on keto, I didn't progress as quickly as I would have with carbs. I did gain strength very slowly. But eventually you adapt to it, I couldn't stick with it long enough before becoming inpatient because in my eyes I wasn't progressing fast enough.

I'm not doing keto currently though, more moderate carb at 100-130g range. I get much more 'explosive lifts' with that.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Thanks for your input @KnitOrMiss
    I understand that, yet this wont stop me haha

I will have a look at these programs for some ideas. Thank you.

@the_new_mark_2016 - I am glad it won't stop you. I wasn't attempting to discourage you. In fact, I just wanted you to be aware so you would NOT give up!
  • the_new_mark_2017
    Thank you Knit - I have seen your posts all over the place. You know what you are doing haha
    Have a good day :)
  • the_new_mark_2017
    Thanks all for your input. I really appreciate it.