Atkins Diet

Options
VickiDiane22
VickiDiane22 Posts: 118 Member
What is the groups opinion of this diet? Just started checking BG and yesterday 2 hrs after breakfast was 202 and today after breakfast was 189 had Honey Nut Cherrios both days. So was thinking of doing maybe a modified Atkins cutting out as many carbs as I can. I'm on Methformin 1X day Thanks

Replies

• alsoagood1
    alsoagood1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I followed the traditional Atkins diet a few years ago and lost 35 pounds My A1C went down as well as my daily blood glucose readings. I believe however you want to loose your weight is your decision and it shouldn't be anyone else's place to tell you
    you are doing things right. Good luck to you!!

Carole
  • VickiDiane22
    Options
    Thanks. I'm starting out cutting back on carbs and then will start Sun on Atkins induction
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I too did the offical Atkins diet way back in it's prime. Yes I lost weight, but what I found, was I got bored really quick on what foods to eat. I realized, I could not eat like that the rest of my life.

Soooooo

I took a book I had from years ago (a doctor gave me when I said I was going to lose weight). That book is pretty much just basic healthy eating. so much fruit, veggies, bread/cereal, meats and dairies a day (the pyramid of food we all learned back in 3rd grade)

What I did, was follow that book, but I incorporated the "Atkins" approch. My veggies and fruits would be lower in carbs. Even my cereals/breads I would eat etc.

I still follow this pattern to this day. I really don't limit myself on variety (as you have seen in my food diary). I need variety or I get bored and will just eat what ever. If I want a fruit that is too high in carbs, I just eat a smaller amt, so I keep my carbs in check to what my body has decided to do according to my BS testing.

Now, when I say variety, I am talking healthy foods. not junk foods too. I really have done this way of eating for so long, that I really don't crave the sweets, cakes, cookies etc. When I get that sweet tooth, a good flavored Carb Master Yogurt, followed with a black cherry suger free jello usually does the trick.
  • VickiDiane22
    Options
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of doing this as well! I just bought an Atkins Diabetes Revolution book. I'm hoping it helps me lose a little more weight and also give me plenty of low carb ideas to add to my diet. I have been slipping this summer with food since I've been a lot more active overall and I need to get back on track. I'd really like the see the lower # both on my meter and on my scale. I was thinking of starting next week because I have a doctor appt a week from Monday so I can have some data to bring in.
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I'm having good luck skipping wheat and other grains. Following that rule steers me toward vegetables, fruit, good fats, etc. and away from high calorie, high sugar breads and pastas. I wouldn't say I eat truly low carb, but avoiding grains is close. My blood glucose has stayed nice and low since this switch.

Best of luck in whatever works for you!!
    Margaret
  • kathyvalliere
    Options
    I asked my nutritionist about the Atkins diet. Be careful! Although it is low carb, it compensates by being high in fat. If you happen to buy their frozen dinners, you will notice the carbs are low, but the fat content and sodium are very high. Just a word of caution.