Is there such thing as too slow?

Options
HaleCry
HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
So, I'm on W4D1 which is the day I gave up a few years ago. I usually walk at 3mph and jog at 4mph.

Today, I jogged at 3.5mph and finished it without feeling like I was dying.
Is it ok to carry on at this speed? Or should I try and push myself faster?

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too slow. During your C25k, you should be "running" at a conversational pace, meaning you should be able to talk or sing while you are running. You are building endurance now. You can work on speed later.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    the slower the better.it's mostly your legs that need to adjust to the new exercise. soon you'll be able to run pretty far without much strain. you have to make sure to slow yourself down when it happens. this is when a lot of people get injured. our lungs adjust faster than our legs.
  • kibbe1jc
    kibbe1jc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I needed to hear this! I'm getting ready to restart the program for like the 5th time. A few times I quit simply because I didn't have the motivation, but the last couple of times I stopped because of injury. I've always pushed my self with the running, not to the point of collapse or anything, but to the point where I would be quite winded after each running portion and have to push through a moderate amount of pain in my legs. I will definitely try slowing my running down to a more comfortable pace to hopeful avoid anymore injury!
  • RxDreamer2
    RxDreamer2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So glad you asked this question! I'm the slowest runner in my Crossfit class but I also am now able to run all the runs without ever having to walk,thanks to C25K, where others have had to walk. But I still felt self conscious bc I am always so slow.
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K last week, and still run at only 3.5mph but I run all of it! Who'd have ever thought I'd be able to do that?! Now I'm just going to increase my endurance so I can run a 5K, I don't mind how long it takes me, speed will come later!
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    HaleCry wrote: »
    I completed C25K last week, and still run at only 3.5mph but I run all of it! Who'd have ever thought I'd be able to do that?! Now I'm just going to increase my endurance so I can run a 5K, I don't mind how long it takes me, speed will come later!

I am the same way. I have increased to about 3.7 now. I just love running even if I'm not going very fast!