pEDaLing GoAdiEs monday Monday!!

Options
podkey
podkey Posts: 5,089 Member
From 1 gear to a CVT or a gazillion gears, 1 mile to whatever. Tell us your fun on 2 (maybe 3) wheels.
How was your week-end??

Replies

• podkey
    edited October 2016
    Options
    OK I was in SoCal during the record and near record setting heat from Wed night to Sunday. I chose not to seek out a rental bike as I had a busy schedule. I did ride my hilly loop (roughly 1300' of climbs in 13.5 miles) before boarding the plane and again rode it late yesterday afternoon after getting off the plane.
    Honestly the last time I tried to ride up Mt Baldy on a rented/demo bike in 90 degree plus heat the gearing was too high for the upper part above Mt Baldy village and I melted in the sun like Icarus. My successful assault came a year or too later on a cooler day with my lower geared Ti bike. I had toyed with the idea of riding up to the village but doubt that the 96 degree heat would have been the best thing for me anyway.
  • klmackey893
    klmackey893 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good call Bob. I did not get on the bike again this weekend the leaves were calling rake me, rake me and then once the leaves were gone I needed to mow. Probably only have 1 at most 2 more times to mow. I need to lower the deck of the mower so the grass is shorter and then the snow will blow into the neighbors driveway easier :smile:

colder ride(upper 30's) to work today with a slight head on cross wind. Time to get the cooler weather gear out. should break 3100 miles for the year this week.
  • podkey
    Options
    Nice Kevin.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Trying to read and type with an eye patch sucks. Especially since the eye that I'm using is the one that had the macula hole fixed 2 years ago. I still have a wavy line right in the middle of small text. I'm getting my right eye ready for cataract surgery in December. Had scar tissue taken off my cornea yesterday. So let's see if my response makes any sense.

Went up to Wisconsin Friday & Saturday to do more hiking of the Ice Age Trail. I do point to point hikes so use my bike as a means of getting back to my car. I rode 7.5 miles on Friday and 16 miles on Saturday. The fall colors were very nice and I always enjoying riding on quiet country roads - something that I don't have easy access to in my area of the Chicagoland sprawl.

I hope to get in a couple more weekends of riding before the slippery conditions move in. Maybe I will get over 1,200 miles this year. I think I only made it to around 500 miles in 2014.
  • klmackey893
    Options
    What part of Wisconsin were you at gadgetgirl?
  • podkey
    Options
    Nice gadgetgirl. I still have some "double vision" from an incident in January. My sister has AMD (macular degeneration) but so far I don't. Fortunately for me I do OK biking as the vision is OK with the right head tilt. I do wear a patch to red my tablet though. My big screen computer is ok. Good luck with your vision.
  • lilybbbbb
    lilybbbbb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hello, my pedaling pals!
    Didn't know you were all pirates, too!
    I've been a bit of a wreck with a cycle of weight gain, slower speeds, reluctance to participate, blahblahblah...
    So I'm happy to report that I got out on the bikes quite a bit in the past couple of weeks!
    Laaaaaaaast weekend, I took a friend/coworker out on her MTB, then I took my parents out on the paved trails in the park near them. Felt great to share with beginners when I'm not feeling very comfortable and confident. Reminiscent of "some days you need the meeting; other days the meeting needs you"--good to take on a different role.
    Last week I rode twice during the week, once on CX and once on MTB, then this past weekend, a friend and I spent the weekend on the Eastern Shore and did the Between the Shores ride that supports the Eastern Shore Bay health. We had originally registered for the 40-mile option, but dropped to the 25-miler (as did many other riders!) because of gale conditions on the island. It was kind of a fun experience battling a few of the headwinds--got a bit of a core workout from laughing at the ridiculousness of it!
    Yesterday, a couple of my friends finally closed on a house less than two miles from me, so I shimmied on over on my beach cruiser to welcome them :)
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    Being a pirate wench isn't all that is made out to be @lilybbbb. At the moment, the massive amount of adhesive tape holding my eye shut is making me crazy in terms of skin irritations. I see the doctor tomorrow morning. If all goes like the last time around, I'll get a fresh patch and will see him on Friday morning before being released from pirate duties.

@klmackey893 - On Friday I was near Dousman to do the Scuppernong segment of the IAT. On Saturday, I started at Whitewater Lake (Whitewater Lake, Blackhawk, and Blue Spring lake segments) and finished up at Emma Carlin near Palmyra. There is an extensive set of dedicated mountain bike trails at Emma Carlin so I saw lots of people out enjoying the trails.

• podkey
    Options
    Hey Carmen/Lily it is soooooooooooooooooooooo good to see ya. Sending all the tail winds we can find to keep ya happy and smiling. i am a little rusty having been in SoCal for a few days without a bike but happy to ride yesterday on my nearby hilly loop.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    @lilybbbbb - how great to share the experience of riding with those new to the sport!
  • lilybbbbb
    Options
    (((Bob))) You will never be rusty! Thanks for the love!

Yes, I really like sharing the experience! I have such an innate teacher personality, anyway, but it's especially good for renewed enthusiasm :)
    I'm actually helping with a ride for school-age girls this Sunday (I also made the flyer for it!) and as soon as I got to work today my coworker asked me if I could take her riding again this Friday. Made me so happy.
  • klmackey893
    Options
    Welcome back Lillybbb (aka Carmen)
  • Swtdwy
    Swtdwy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Nice to see you again Lily!

Our local organized ride was Saturday. But we didn't go. :smiley: It was also our anniversary so DW and I drove to the coast, and biked up into Ojai. Moderately uphill, 22 miles. Beautiful area. Had a nice lunch, and rode a more direct path down. 37 miles altogether.

Sunday we rode our group ride, which was basically the same route we did the previous week. No biggie. Since that big fire we had awhile ago, a lot of the roads are still closed and a number of our standard routes aren't available at this time. Anyway it was nice because we had a new rider and most of the strong riders either didn't show, or they were coming off the 100 mile ride from the day before so they were in recovery mode. 42 miles total for the day.

Not a bad weekend!
  • lilybbbbb
    Options
    Thanks, guys! happy anniversary, Mark!

yeah, i'm totally into the beginner rides these days ;)