Maintenance: What carb level?

Kurzweil
Kurzweil Posts: 14 Member
I've lost 156 lbs through counting both carbs (under 50 total per day, usually under 30 net) and calories. I'm now edging my way up to maintenance and want to stay lowish/moderate carb, but as I look at my macros and long term sustainability, I'm wondering what the right balance will be.

Right now I'm thinking I will end up somewhere between 1700-1900 for maintaining and am thinking roughly of 20% carbs / 40% protein / 40% fat. That would put me in the 80-100 total grams of carb per day, which is a range I have lost on in the past. I feel like staying at a lower carb level would force my fat higher than I am comfortable with.

Thoughts? I especially welcome those maintaining, but no matter where you're at, I'd love to hear your plan and rationale!

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited October 2016
    I think it's individual and will take some experimentation.

I had lost weight at similar carb levels. I hit maintenance weight in March and experimented with what my maintenance levels. I tried to gradually increase cals and carbs to find my sweet spot.

For me, unfortunately 80-100 seems like too much. I dealt a lot more with hunger and carb cravings and ended up wavering about 2-6 lbs over my maintenance range for a long time. (Might not sound like much but it was all in the belly so it definitely affected clothing fit.)

I think I'm going to need to stay at 50-80 (total), maybe 50-60, long-term for maintenance. :/ We'll see though.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    My macros are about the same, just more of everything. Carbs are 5-10%, protein about 20% and fat is about 70%. Carbs are under 50g total per day. Usually closer to 30g. When I was losing it was about 20g.

I feel better very low carb so I see no need to change what works. I left the old "don't eat too much fat" mantra of yesteryear behind. ;)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    That is fantastic! Must be a great feeling to be transitioning to maintenance. B)

If you want to stay in ketosis, you might want to keep your carbs down and protein limited, then vary your fat intake as needed.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Kurzweil wrote: »
    I've lost 156 lbs through counting both carbs (under 50 total per day, usually under 30 net) and calories. I'm now edging my way up to maintenance and want to stay lowish/moderate carb, but as I look at my macros and long term sustainability, I'm wondering what the right balance will be.

Right now I'm thinking I will end up somewhere between 1700-1900 for maintaining and am thinking roughly of 20% carbs / 40% protein / 40% fat. That would put me in the 80-100 total grams of carb per day, which is a range I have lost on in the past. I feel like staying at a lower carb level would force my fat higher than I am comfortable with.

Thoughts? I especially welcome those maintaining, but no matter where you're at, I'd love to hear your plan and rationale!

What's your concern specifically about fat?
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    I have nothing useful to add in regards to your question but WAY TO GO!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Congrats on reaching your goal & heading into maintenance! It will just be a process of experimenting and finding your sweet spot.

I maintained fine on 100-125g net carbs for over a year & 1/2, but then started to get complacent (didn't log) and it edged up in combination with higher fat grams at the same meal (think tortilla chips, etc) - a combo that promoted the storage of said extra carbage. So technically I've had 8 lbs too much but have been maintaining that for about a year. I've cut it back to <25g net to lose again, but will be edging up toward 100 again later to again maintain at my goal weight. I think I may see if I can do well with the cyclic WOE - VLC for a few weeks and then a healthy version Mediterranean Diet with a lower amount of gluten free grains for several weeks. Never actually had bad cravings from the carbs, but only ate relatively healthy unprocessed carbs (except for tortilla chips but at least they were organic and just non-GMO corn, oil, salt.)
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Just experiment and log food

Activity requires fuel

Food is fuel

It is that simple really

Good luck!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I've been maintaining a 60 pound loss for a couple of years. I lost via ~40c/30/30 and spent most of maintenance there with only the last 6 months keto for a reason unrelated to weight management.

The only suggestion i have is to raise your carbs slowly and give yourself a month or more at each increment to observe satiation and cravings - if craving applies to you. I have found maintenance with keto easier than it was with a higher carb level. The fat seems to squelch the gosh awful hunger I felt on maintenance calories prior to keto.

I like the comment above by @Working2BLean. Food is fuel. I try not to "romanticize" food or the behavior of eating.

Congrats on that loss. Lots of tenacity, determination and dedication there.

• Kurzweil
    Kurzweil Posts: 14 Member

What's your concern specifically about fat?

I don't believe fat is the demon the low fat craze has made it out to be, but I personally feel most comfortable with a bit more balance. I think there is a lot about nutritional science we just don't know. I am convinced on the value of keeping carbs lower than standard recommendations, but I'm not convinced there aren't still some downsides to an excessive amount of protein (we know for sure excessive protein isn't good for many people) and fat. 70%+ in fat would make me uncomfortable and also just feel unsustainable for me due to food preferences. Sustainability is the #1 thing for me, wherever that puts my macros.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! Keeping an eye on cravings as I increase my carb level is an excellent reminder. I'm currently increasing my limit about 5 grams a week.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    I've just started my maintenance phase. So far I keep net carbs around the same as weight loss. Close to 30 or 40 tops. I have things like Halo Top a little more often than when I was actively losing and I've tried a few low carb cookie recipes with Swerve. I don't really plan to increase my carb goal because I use keto to keep inflammation from RA under control. Rarely I might have a sushi roll, a gluten free cupcake, or a small serving of real ice cream but it's no big deal as I'm fat adapted and go right back into ketosis. I just don't do that with any type of frequency.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    I'm following this thread, as I'm less than 10lbs from the bottom of my goal weight range. Currently, I'm <25g net carbs, but do imagine I'll be increasing carbs somewhat in maintenance. Definitely once I'm fully fat adapted.

My long term goal is avoidance of all grains and lactose (I'm a little sad about the lactose, but I can't any longer). However, I do find potatoes, winter squashes, and pulses/beans very nourishing foods for me. A maintenance carb goal of 50-75g ought to allow me a small serving of those when I want them.