Diabetes and EM2WL

Options
ibtmas
ibtmas Posts: 111 Member
edited October 2016 in Social Groups
Dear friends and EM2WL team! Yesterday while discussing my EM2WL jouney with hubby he got interested joining in too. He is 44, 5'11 and weights 86kgs and according to his stats he got his TDEE at 2100 cals while sedentary. He will be working out with be with the dumbells once he recovers from his back pain (being my home trainer at the moment :) ) Getting rid of the extra fat over his belly area is the target. The matter of concern is that he is diabetic and is on insulin since 18 years. Can eating more help him with the control over his weight and glucose level in blood? How can his diet help him in building muscles?

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Diabetes can be "controlled" with a proper diet. Type 1 relies on the insulin shots, but your eating still has to be pretty good to keep things in check. type 2 can definitely be controlled by diet. Eating more doesnt mean you will be eating a ton of crap food and such, so there should be no issues with increasing cals and still keeping his diabetes in check. You have to think eating more doesnt mean eating "junk" it means eating to give your body the energy to function correctly. He just needs to continue eating the way he should be, whole foods, watching the sugar levels in everything. It also doesnt hurt to have a discussion with the doc about it. He doesnt need to say hes increasing calories, as many Docs dont quite yet understand about metabolic damage, but he can at least get some ideas on what foods to avoid to stop a spike.

I would question is TDEE level. Unless he is wheelchair bound, he is not sedentary. No one is. Bump immediately to lightly active for the time being, and then when he starts training more, that get bumped up again to moderate or higher.
    You cannot spot train any particular area, like his stomach, however when fat loss happens in men, it tends to go from the belly first. This would be a good reason to take "before" pics of him. His weight may not change much, but the fat losses can show big results.

Hope this helps a bit. Im no means an expert when it comes to diabetes, but as long as his sugars dont spike, eating more should be a really good thing for him.

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    How awesome is it that you are having such a changing and positive influence on your husband.!

This blog might be useful reading as Jeanetta dealt with insulin resistance.
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/jeannetta-a-transformation-story/

Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Also not an expert on diabetes, but considering the experience I had with my father-in-law (who was diabetic), increasing the protein intake will definitely help decrease the intake of carbohydrates that could cause a spike on blood sugar. Also that will help him feel satiated, diminish cravings and help with building muscle (which is what will help burn the excess fat and keep it away).

It will definitely be good to have you joining you on your journey!

Tereza
    EM2WL Moderator and Team Member
  • ibtmas
    ibtmas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    @TerezaToledo @Rayyn @empressichel thankyou for your words. These help keeping us in consideration. He have already started working on more of proteins ;)