Carb blocker supplements

Options
Have any of you ever heard of carb blocker supplements and if they are safe to take? Have you ever taken it? What has been your experience?

Replies

• bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I have heard of them and I was actually wondering the same thing recently. I actually have some Garcinia Cambogia which is supposed to block some carbs from being converted into glucose but I haven't used it in a while. I'm afraid to use it while doing keto because the few carbs that I eat are required by the brain so I would hate for it to have an adverse effect on my health. Would love others opinions. Never used GC consistently enough to see results.
  • HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hmm, well, there really isn't any scientific evidence on the over the counter ones in regards to efficacy or safety. If you are using the ones prescribed by a physician that block amylase, that might be a different story.

If you are eating LC, I guess I'm not sure I see a use. I just wouldn't want you to waste your money and time.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm always skeptical. I regulate carbs by my food diary in MFP and following it. I know that sounds snarky and I apologize for that. "Carb blocker" in an over the counter product seems gimmicky to me.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I'm always skeptical. I regulate carbs by my food diary in MFP and following it. I know that sounds snarky and I apologize for that. "Carb blocker" in an over the counter product seems gimmicky to me.

I agree, what's the point if low carbing anyway?
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I messaged you :smile:
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Most over the counter weight loss aids (which would include carb blockers) don't really work that well. But, if you eat LC you don't even need to bother with them anyway. Save some $$ :)
  • missholls910
    missholls910 Posts: 27 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I haven't heard of these before but after Ally became a thing, I'm skeptical of any "blocker" type product. If the carbs come out the same way fat did with ally, that's not a side effect you want.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you are looking for something to counterbalance an unplanned carb overage, Chris Masterjohn, PhD recommends getting at least 20% of calories at any carby meal from MCT oil to maintain a level of ketogenesis. I'm currently working to add MCT oil in to each of my meals to see if it helps my brain/body function and thyroid simultaneously...since those two things currently seem at odds.

EDITED TO ADD: I haven't don't any additional research on this yet, so it's currently fully experimental.
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    What's the difference btw. MCT oil & regular coconut oil? EDIT: Nevermind, I found the helpful MCT thread!
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    When I read up on them it seemed like the over the counter ones were largely ineffective. It's one of these X can block carbs if you take 10000mg of it. We have X in our product*!

*but only 200mg so it won't have much effect.
  • crystalsan726
    crystalsan726 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help!