Ketosis Test Strips!

Options
I just wanted to get it known out there that this is the only diet where you can actually see if you are doing it right. They have KETOSIS TEST STRIPS! Walgreen and CVS carry them and you can buy them online. What better motivation than to get a verified result you are doing the diet correctly!

Replies

• sisisisepuede
    sisisisepuede Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Got mine yesterday! I checked just for fun (no ketosis after just 3 days;) ) but I think I'll do my real check on day 5, what do you think?

Another thing, these test strips are usually geared toward diabetic patients- so there is a warning on the label that if it's purple(ketosis) you should seek medical attention. Just be aware that this is only for diabetics who are in diabetic ketoacidosis (all of their blood sugar is in their bloodstream so their cells don't get nutrition and the person go into ketosis for fuel).

What is a good"goal" level for ketones when we use these strips?
  • jpmcbride
    jpmcbride Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Day 5!! Purchased strips today from Walmart $6! I believe I'm on the right track and seeing results!! Keto on!!!!66sp0t3eg5y5.jpg
  • sisisisepuede
    sisisisepuede Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Me too! I'm starting day 6 and I'm a nice comforting shade of light purple:) It's a great motivator, right??
  • jpmcbride
    jpmcbride Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes it is @sisisisepuede!!!
  • strangepantheon
    strangepantheon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Costco has these in packs of 100 for about $18!
  • Carafeelsfree
    Carafeelsfree Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm 29, a mom, dx with PCOS, BMI 36 Weight 255 Height 5'10.

I have been researching Ketogenic lifestyle and I wanted to share my experience so far.

Here is what i am doing.
    I set my caloric intake at 1500, with 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbs.
    I am increasing my water intake to at least 160z a day (approx. half my body weight) drinking 32oz first thing in the morning. 32 oz Green tea is included my water count.
    What am I eating? I have been doing 1-2 tbsp each of grass-fed butter and coconut oil in my coffee, eating protein, and the recommended vegetables (leafy greens, cruciferous veggies). I've busted out my digital food scale, and re-logged into MyFitness pal.
    I'm also trying to use Intermittent fasting from 3x a week, from 2pm to 2am.

I am on day 4, and it is a fasting day.
    The Keto diet seemed really scary....like it could backfire and I would end up gaining more weight....Still, the more I read more about HFLC eating, the more intrigued I became. I am a nursing student so I researched for peer-reviewed studies to learn the science behind Ketosis/lipolysis. It made me think back to my organic chemistry class. It made sense to try. It started as an investigation, just out of curiousity, but WOW, i can feel my energy is totally different and my face looks downright LUMINOUS. I am not having any crashes of energy. I do feel a little shaky, clamy, and Fuzzy-headed from time to time. This might be what I learned is the "keto Flu" caused by carbohydrate withdrawal and a resulting electrolyte imbalance.
    I read that i should drink sugar-free electrolyte sports drinks to combat this feeling. I will try the following sugar-free keto electrolyte replacement recipe (¼ teaspoon of lite/low-sodium salt* + ¼ teaspoon of regular salt + 1-2 teaspoons of Epsom salts, dissolved in as much water you need to make it palatable.)

So, that's about it for now!

CHEERS!
  • GoldwingGrandma
    GoldwingGrandma Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work. I'm new to keto also still struggling with the high fat aspect of this plan. Makes sense....need carbs or fat for energy. If I cut the carbs I need the fats. My macros are same as yours. Biggest fear....blood work! I know my blood sugars have come down, but won't know cholesterol, etc levels for a few months.
  • 4quam4n
    4quam4n Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late in joining this group, but I just wanted to put my two sense in about the keto strips. They measure the amount of ketones in your urine. It you are well hydrated the amount of ketones in your urine will be diluted and the reading won't be accurate. Same as if you are dehydrated, the results will show higher levels. Not saying to not use them, just to keep those things in mind and not to rely on them as a tell-tale sign of ketosis.
  • schellereid
    schellereid Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've also read that the shade doesn't matter. Even a "trace" means you're in ketosis.