Sign-ins, November 4

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• Jesslosingweight
    Jesslosingweight Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes I excercised 20 minutes and I have tracked food all day and kept within my goals!
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    l1k126307x7t.jpg

Good day from Rick:
    As I was growing from young to old as a lawyer, I had a great law partner. One of the biggest differences between the two of us was that as we got older, he became more and more convinced that his opinions were facts. I became more and more convinced that my opinions were opinions.
    Here is one of my opinions about a topic that was raised yesterday by @Shutterbug and @fitqueenbess
    There question was, "How do you treat your exercise calories....do you add them to your calorie limit and then feel ok to eat them?" (a little paraphrasing, but..ok)
    IMO: there is more than one right answer. and what is right for one person will be wrong for someone else.
    Here is what works for me, Rick. I have a thrifty metabolism. I also use a Polar Heart Rate Monitor to calculate calories. I have found it to be very accurate for me. I add exercise calories to my daily limit. Some days I do eat to that augmented calorie limit, and many days I don't. I am on maintenance, and I still lost 1.5 lbs last month.
    As they say, "Your mileage may vary!!"
    Today, please share what works for you!
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    BTW: @2020pinktogo I want to be accountable to you, since you sign in early. I promise to do at least 40+ minutes of Cardio/Strength HIIT today.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    You do that Rick!!! OK and I will try and stay away from the Halloween candy but as people keep leaving me stuff all over the place this is getting to be hard. I guess we normally have a ton of kids pop into the bank well not this year so we have a lot of candy. Yesterday I did good at work only to proceed to come home and eat my husband's m&ms. LOL
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    By the way on 11/3 Yes x 3 ;)
    If I'm hungry I may eat some of my exercise calories. I'm not a foodie when I started this journey What I realized was I was not consuming enough as soon as I started to mark everything I ate and ate more I lost weight. I need the accountability of journaling to make sure I am eating 1. healthy and 2 getting everything I am suppose too. It's very easy for me not to get enough protein or sodium. I refuse to go on a salt pill. LOL
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Great question Rick & I'm very interested in the responses. I've actually been testing this theory myself (more people I know only eat back 50-75% of their exercise calories.)

For me, I noticed that I seemed to lose more when I ate back more. Now, perhaps being heavier had something to do with that. I've been eating pretty well & exercising like a maniac & leaving hundreds of calories for the day, and I've actually gained the last two weeks! Now women have it harder than men - we have monthly fluctuations and loads of water retention, but this is really getting frustrating! I'm also afraid that some of my gain may have something to do with all the new-ish medications I had to begin taking over the last month or so.

I measure again in two days, so I'll compare those numbers and see where I am.

I've got to figure this out ASAP!
  • phoebelayla
    phoebelayla Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It is a beautiful sunny day here in California.

As to the question about eating back exercise calories, I would agree with Rick and think it is different for different people, different ages, different body weights, different levels of exercise.
    When I was younger in my 20's, I used to eat back any exercise calories over 300. Well, now I am in my 40's and unfortunately that does not fly!! If I want to lose weight, I usually don't eat back my exercise calories. The exception would be on days with a really intense, long workout (and you all know in your heart which ones those are!). On those days, I think it makes sense to eat some of your exercise calories back to keep that metabolism up. Don't want your body thinking it needs to go into starvation mode! This really is a great question. I guess it takes some experimenting with your routine, which isn't what we necessarily want to do when we are working hard and want to lose weight now. Gee, you all have me thinking if I need to make any changes.....
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    In my experience with women and weight loss (please do not start throwing things at me), I have noticed that many women grossly under eat protein and they are overly fixated on what the scale weight reads. Men tend to over eat protein and fat, but are not fixated on the scale weight and most believe they even though they are 100 lbs heavier than their most fit weight, they still believe they are a stud-muffin.
    All of that to say: body measurements with a tape measure are the best way to determine whether or not you are getting fitter, more appropriately sculpted and eating/exercising right. It's the Non-Scale-Victories (NSV) that count in the game of life.
    Rick
    (you can go ahead and throw things now)
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Nov 4th
    I just wrote a really long reply but it isn't here so I don't know where I posted it oops! If I find it I'll copy and paste it here.
    Shorter version:

Exercise: yes
    Calories : yes
    Tracked:.yes
  • sal144
    sal144 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Exercise: yes
    Calories : yes
    Tracked: yes

• lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    I am using Pass Day #1 today.

Hubby and I go out once a week for our "date night" meal. We did lunch today at a Mexican buffet close to our house that opened a couple months ago, and we hadn't checked it out yet. Hubby had the day off from work, and I work from home so went on my lunch break. It ended up being very good. We haven't done a buffet in forever! I was going to go the gym for a mega calorie burn to end under my calorie goal, but I only had 5 hours of sleep last night (up at 5 a.m. this morning to work my 10-hour day). I DID end up going for a 20-minute outdoor walk, though. I didn't want to break my exercise streak for another MFP challenge I'm in.

After a good night's sleep tonight, I should be good to go tomorrow!
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes
    85 minute walk + 7 minutes Rajio Taiso + 20 minutes 30 Day Abs + Legs + Glutes Challenge + 25 minutes 30 Day Shred + 5 minutes stretching

Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • fitqueenbess
    fitqueenbess Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    NOVEMBER 4
    Exercise: Yes, 3.57 mile brisk early am walk, 35 minutes of Body Pump class at noon. (160 cal added to my day)
    Calories: Yes
    Tracking: Yes, (only 60 to spare)
  • fearlessinmy3rdact
    fearlessinmy3rdact Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes - 90 minutes strength training
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes. I had to make up for feeling yuckie yesterday so I kicked out 127 minutes of exercise today and hit a record for my steps today at almost 20,000! I'm so proud of myself!
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes!
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Absolutely, every little thing.
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    l1k126307x7t.jpg

Good day from Rick:
    As I was growing from young to old as a lawyer, I had a great law partner. One of the biggest differences between the two of us was that as we got older, he became more and more convinced that his opinions were facts. I became more and more convinced that my opinions were opinions.
    Here is one of my opinions about a topic that was raised yesterday by @Shutterbug and @fitqueenbess
    There question was, "How do you treat your exercise calories....do you add them to your calorie limit and then feel ok to eat them?" (a little paraphrasing, but..ok)
    IMO: there is more than one right answer. and what is right for one person will be wrong for someone else.
    Here is what works for me, Rick. I have a thrifty metabolism. I also use a Polar Heart Rate Monitor to calculate calories. I have found it to be very accurate for me. I add exercise calories to my daily limit. Some days I do eat to that augmented calorie limit, and many days I don't. I am on maintenance, and I still lost 1.5 lbs last month.
    As they say, "Your mileage may vary!!"
    Today, please share what works for you!

For me, I have mine set at slightly active and try to eat at least 1500 calories. That doesn't usually require me to eat back my exercise calories but I listen to my body, if I feel famished, I eat back some, if not I don't. Most days I keep it right at 1500. But, I have a lot to lose still AND don't have a HRM so my exercise cals are guestimates. I find not eating them works best for me right now. However, if I had myself at sedentary, I definitely have to eat some back. So, it definitely varies depending on person and how they have everything set. I also do a 40/30/30 plan. Like you said Rick, I was grossly undereating my protein and eating way too many carbs (I plateaued for 2 months before realising) But now that my macros are in check it's slipping off like hot butter hahaha. And yes measurements and progress photos are SO important. :smile:
  • Shutterbuggg
    Shutterbuggg Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes X 3 today B) No gym work out today but several short walks.
    I am loving the conversation about the exercise calories, I appreciate all of you sharing your stories. I wear a Fitbit with HRM 24/7 so I keep track of burned calories that way. I always am skeptical about my actual burn but the more I look into it the numbers seem reasonable. I do my best to hit my protein for the day BC I know how important that is, especially when weight training. I'm going to change it up and stop eating back for a couple weeks.
  • jtkatch
    jtkatch Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    November 4

Exercise? Yes (trainer for 60 min circuit)

In calories? Yes (catered for moms 70th so tough to know ingredients but over estimating just in case)

Logged all I ate and drank? Yes (Perrier all night and probably over logged to stay safe)

I did well tonight given the food was AMAZING!! Catered!! They made me special vegan meals and didn't finish as I wasn't sure all the ingredients or weight of items. Stayed away from all the candy, jelly beans, licorice etc and Cake! Warm chocolate chip cookies baked on the spot! OMG...all to die from.

I DID IT!! I said NO and drank my warm water and lemon! Yay me :) didn't even take home! OMG that was a tough challenging night but succeeded.

Looking forward to working out tomorrow morning...feeling strong and motivated since I survived a tough night.
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    Today was a big NSV success for me. I have been a consistent and disciplined exercise fan for decades, but in the summer, my exercises focus on horse back riding. That can be a cardio activity, and it is definitely a core-fitness activity, but I do lose cardio/strength from April 15-October 15. Now, I am working my cardio/strength back up while focusing on walking most days.
    Exercise: 48 minutes of cardio/strength intervals for 390 cals, after 27 minutes of Active Isolated Stretching; 82 cals
    Tracking: great
    Calories: great.