Eating Out

Hi guys,

So since this challenge is a chance for us to develop long term eating habits, I want to highlighlight the topic of eating out. It's just unrealistic to completely avoid it. Nowadays people go out for dinners for special occasions, to catch up or socialize, try different cuisines, or just because. I just find that it's impossible for me to stop completely. That's what most people my age, or at least most of my friends, do when want to meet up to catch up and whatnot.

Anyways, do you have any recommendations for healthier options (besides the obvious choice of salad)? Healthier cuisines, apps, entrees.

Lmk! :smile:

Replies

• sarahruns20
    sarahruns20 Posts: 12 Member
    I go out to eat weekly with my family. I plan ahead and look at the menu. I try to find as close a match as possible on my fitness pal. If I want a steak, I just make adjustments to the rest of my day. Planning ahead is key!
  • ewalkerr2932
    ewalkerr2932 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks Sarah- super helpful answer! I do not want you all to avoid social situations because of of the WLC! Social interaction is very important to health :)

Planning ahead is important for eating out. Look for fish, grilled chicken, lean meats with sides of vegetables. Avoid gravies and creamy sauces. Look for white wine, broth, lemon, lighter sauces instead. Don't be afraid to ask the waiter what types of oils they cook in- and to limit the amount of fat cooked with your food. Avoid pasta dishes, risottos, anything heavy. For sandwiches skip the bun or do half the bun and get a side of salad, veggies instead of fries. Beware of shared appetizers-- these can get dangerous! And make sure to skip salad dressings. Instead ask for lemon, olive oil, and balsamic and dress your salad yourself.

Hope this helps a little!