Lilydale Turkey Torture :(

Options
Kimo159
Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
**I hope that this post is acceptable for this group, if not, I really apologize.

Hey low carb peeps! As low carbers most of us eat a fair amount of meat. Thanksgiving is over but Christmas is a few months away so I'm sharing this video/petition that I came across yesterday. It's a video of one of the lilydale slaughterhouses in Canada. The treatment of these turkeys in their last moments is absolutely horrifying. I signed the petition and will no longer be purchasing any lilydale products from here on out. I'm currently also looking at sourcing local meats from suppliers with humane slaughtering practices. Thankfully it's just myself and my boyfriend at home so we can afford the premium on humane meat. I'm also a hunter so half of my meat comes from the wild game that I kill myself but I still buy a lot of beef and chicken throughout the year, and of course turkey at the holiday season.

This is a very graphic video, so if you're squeamish maybe don't watch it...it's extremely upsetting. At least sign the petition though if you believe in humane slaughtering of commercial meat, please.

http://www.lilydaleturkeytorture.ca/

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Pretty brutal, but with an easy solution: a bigger kill-blade, or a more restrictive line.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to have deer for our T Day and Christmas! Killed by Rowdy, with one clean shot just for our family :wink: Not to steal the thread but last year was a horrible hunting year for him with all the rain we had. His spot was under water most of the season. This year he's finally seeing deer at least. And for an early birthday gift (which is in Dec) I bought him a crossbow. His arthritis in his elbows has gotten so bad he can't pull back and hold steady a compound any longer. So yep....I see venison in our future!
  • CinderellaDaisy
    CinderellaDaisy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm in Alberta and there is lots of local farmers that treat their animals well. They also are not certified organic but use the same practices as its costly to become certified. Also organic certification has but many many farmers out of business because of the cost.
    I'm hoping to either do a bulk chicken and turkey order or a pig order right before Christmas to last us through my husbands 2 months of trade school while we do not get much income from his EI (I'm a SAHM). Good luck finding good sources of meat.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I'm hoping to have deer for our T Day and Christmas! Killed by Rowdy, with one clean shot just for our family :wink: Not to steal the thread but last year was a horrible hunting year for him with all the rain we had. His spot was under water most of the season. This year he's finally seeing deer at least. And for an early birthday gift (which is in Dec) I bought him a crossbow. His arthritis in his elbows has gotten so bad he can't pull back and hold steady a compound any longer. So yep....I see venison in our future!

Warning: Graphic description of hunting experience follows.
    The first deer I shot was running so fast that my shotgun slug went in the front of his throat and exited the side of his throat (he ran right into it and apparently advanced forward an inch or 2 before it exited). When I cut him open for field dressing, it was very clean and beautiful inside without any blood on the meat. I only wish I had taken the time to cut into the neck more and drain more blood out first; because when I was field dressing, of course a lot of blood spilled inside at that point and then the meat was covered in deer blood. Anyway, apparently shooting it in the neck made it bleed out and kept blood from getting on everything internally.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm from a small town in the interior of BC so it'll be difficult to source the meat. I do go to Alberta a fair bit so maybe I just have to go with a big cooler and source some meat, pick it up on one of my trips, and then bring it home to fill the freezer.

@RowdysLady awesome to hear that Rowdy is seeing more deer! Hope the crossbow works for him too! Those compound bows can be difficult at the best of times to pull back...except mine...I need a new bow with more draw weight haha.

@midwesterner85 Nice shot! It's nice not to have to spoil any of the meat.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    @midwesterner85 Nice shot! It's nice not to have to spoil any of the meat.

Well...
    Blood got all over the meat anyway because when I cut everything at the throat on the inside while field dressing, the rest gushed out. And that was a lot of blood, actually. This is why I say I should have cut the throat and let it bleed out so there was very little blood remaining to get on the meat.

But no, I don't spoil the meat. I gave some to my brother and ate the rest. It's disheartening when I see trophy hunters taking something to mount, but wasting the meat. It's illegal and unethical.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I agree @midwesterner85 and now you know :wink: It isn't always easy to field dress - you can wind up in some precarious areas for sure...especially if the deer keeps going for a bit before dropping. If you can wait a few minutes to make that first cut the blood should pool a little and not give you quite the gush I'd think...

Thanks @Kimo159. He had a miserable year last year and that's like the one thing he does for himself. So I always want it to be the best experience for him.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I agree @midwesterner85 and now you know :wink: It isn't always easy to field dress - you can wind up in some precarious areas for sure...especially if the deer keeps going for a bit before dropping. If you can wait a few minutes to make that first cut the blood should pool a little and not give you quite the gush I'd think...

I did wait, but should have cut the neck more and positioned it in a way to help, then waited. This deer didn't go anywhere after being hit, he did a cartwheel (I think the effect was as though he had been "clothes-lined" while running) and landed within just a few feet.