Low carb bread/tortilla recipes?

Options
2»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My stepmother had a nerve knicked when she had some dental work done a few years ago that knocked out her tastebuds for almost 6 months. She hated eating because without taste the texture was gross to her and ended up losing 35 pounds. That would work for me too. :D

Wow! That's a new one.

"Tastebud Knockout Diet"
    Has a certain ring to it....

"Nothing but slimy & mealy stuff you can't taste."
    Hmm, might be TMI....

• silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Tapeworms will also work for that purpose.

Hahaha, I draw the line at that! I have had enough intestinal issues in my life already.
  • RalfLott
    Options

Hahaha, I draw the line at that! I have had enough intestinal issues in my life already.

Me, too. But far fewer these days than e'er before.

Most people are at least mildly intolerant of wheat/gluten, and I suspect giving them up was part of the solution. (I wish I'd gotten the antibody test back then, but no harm done I suppose if I just continue avoiding them.)
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    No recipes, but the Mission Carb Balance are very good. My favorite is Joseph's Lavash bread with flax. If the food is really soggy, the tortillas are better.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Sorry @silverfiend... I didn't mean to sound preachy :( I have to stay far away from any wheat/gluten as I am celiac, and a lot of people have gluten sensitivities. Besides I hate paying food prices for ground up sawdust, lol ;)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @canadjineh -

Dr. Tom O'Bryan had a lot of interesting info at the Keto Summit about the surprising prevalence of gluten sensitivity.

As I recall, he said it's more common than celiac disease, and he believes it's often related to all sorts of nasty symptoms, ranging from intestinal fireworks to depression....

(If forced to choose, maybe eat at the sawdust instead?)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    It's a huge deal in thyroid issues too. I've been listening to the Thyroid Connection Summit this week. Probably the same doc, lol, I think a lot of them spend most of their time on speaking engagements/podcasts. Good info though. Sawdust isn't always so safe either... I have 2 cousins who are allergic. One to cedar and one to birch.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Sounds like the effects can be pretty wide - ranging. My poor mom had autoimmune issues in her later years, and I sure wish we'd thought of possible trigger foods.
  • randiewilliams72
    randiewilliams72 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am always on pintrest looking for low carb recipes. I haven't tried too make many bread recipes . I find most have ingredients I'm not going to stock. The mission tortillas are the only thing I've tried on the regular basis, but I still try to limit to 1 or 2 a week at most .
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I dunno, silverfiend.... ingredients in those Mission tortillas are modified food starch (GMO corn), whole wheat flour, extra gluten, hydrogenated GMO soybean oil, and MORE Gluten and to bring down the carb count via more fibre, powdered cellulose (which is wood pulp).

still taste better than any homemade I have attempted, plus they are easy. I don't give a dam about gluten or GMO. This is a temporary measure to reduce body fat. I can worry about how "clean" my food is when I reach maintenance.

@RalfLott ...... :D<3