Keto and LC Communities...

Options
~~~ disclaimer ~~~
This post is more rant than anything. I'm not naming names of people or groups publicly. If you want to know the name of the group which gets a five star rating from me... ask via message please.
~~~. ~~~

So I've been slowing picking up groups on FB. By slowly I mean two. Both are groups formed by and from the podcasts I listen to.
I recently have found one to be rather a let down as of late. The other is shining brighter than ever!!
Both "podcasts" I should say are claiming to be attempting to make these groups into a place where they are helping others on The Ketogenic path. Helping people heal and get healthy.
One group for the last month has just been a let down. One admin in particular who seems to have a huge chip on their shoulder is quick to wag fingers at people about posts re: cheats or slip ups. Their claim is that they never nor will ever cheat! They up front post that these people who cheat are just wanting attention by posting things about their off plan eating and want hugs and back patting. (My words not theirs).
Drives me crazy!
If you want to be looked at as a "figure" in this culture of people, having an attitude like that is just plain wrong. Be helpful, not hurtful!
Now there is a post going about fat consumption. Seriously, this post is akin to those poor folk here who go to 'the area I shall not mention' and get slammed by people who are clueless to this WOE.
What's worse is that this post as all based off a tweet from the shirtless doctor. (Sorry honestly his name is a blank starts with a N)

Now the other group I belong to is proving to follow through with their claims! They just started a new sister group where they have taken Keto to the next level. You tag your posts to clarify what your goal is as to PREVENT confusion and bad information!! They also have sticky posts to hold information targeted to your goals! Links with helpful information for macros, food, exercise, the emotional side... oh my!!

I'm posting this because my only hope is that this group here stays on the path it's on and only gets better! So far so good!
Let's not ever turn into a rabid shark tank!
Be helpful! Not hurtful!!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I find it surprising how hurtful some groups can be. Groups I've belonged to in the past (about new motherhood and a celiac group) were very helpful. But diet and nutrition based sites? Yikes. So many can get nasty. They seem to lack empathy and can be egocentric.

Love you all here! <3
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm on those same lists I think. Personally, I just scroll past and do what works for me. My Keto lifestyle is by no means perfect, but it works for me. Sadly, I usually don't post on those other lists because I don't want to be slammed. I like it here ... Everyone has been most helpful and supportive. I have never been one for "support" groups - I always went to weight watchers, weighed in, and promptly left, but I do like the people/environment here so I feel comfortable making comments and asking questions - and that's what it's really all about. While we are all on different paths (no-carb, Keto, low carb at varying levels of carb intake), I find a respect here for those not on the same path that you just don't find with many other groups. That being said, I'm just about 2 months in, and while I am a strong willed, independent sort, I couldn't have done it without eveyone in this group!
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    "One admin in particular who seems to have a huge chip on their shoulder is quick to wag fingers at people about posts re: cheats or slip ups."

Ugh...I'd like to know who is perfect? It's just not helpful.
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have only been here a few months, but I really love how everyone is open to the fact that we are all different and the level of carb restriction is very personal to each person's body. I personally see that for me, I think I need to be VLC, but if higher works for you, then that is awesome! (Still trying to figure out my carb limit) This is a very informative, supportive environment.