Upset stomach?

Options
moonlights
moonlights Posts: 141 Member
What low carb food do you eat when you have an upset stomach?

For the last few days my stomach has been unsettled and I've been feeling a bit nauseous. I'm feeling off meat - which happens sometimes - and eggs this morning didn't go down well at all.

I might try a coconut flour muffin or similar low carb bakes good later and see if it's bland enough not to bother me - but what do you eat when your stomach is rebelling?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I tend to cut back on meat but that's just because I am not a meat lover. Too much can make me squeamish so less is helpful when I feel off.

I'll eat cheese, pork rinds and cheese dip, nuts and pepperoni. BPC.

How is your sodium intake? Some find when electrolytes get low that nausea and fatigue sets in. Are you gettintting enough salt? 1-2 teaspoons per day (or 3000-5000mg sodium per day) can be helpful to some people, especially during the early weeks or months of a LCHF diet.
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I find taking a probiotic or two helps me when I'm feeling queasy. I am eating a lot of coconut oil and this in turn does give me reflux and a upset tummy. I am thinking to get some lard and try that instead.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,049 Member
    Options
    Bone broth, ginger Kombucha, bland seasonings on my food, homemade cauliflower cheese soup, chia pudding
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs and broth, separate and together (egg drop soup!).
  • moonlights
    Options
    Sodium intake is fine - I have naturally low blood pressure which gets worse while on Keto (because surprise! It's actually carbs that keep people's blood pressure high and salt isn't nearly as much of a culprit - my gastro will tell me that but the government recommendations won't) so I have always heavily salted my food and I'm careful to add even more while Keto. I might try a little pickle juice though just in case.

Can't face eggs really even though they're bland. Though I'm going to try making one into a coconut flour mug cake...

I'm not having coconut oil, my fat is mainly on meat or food cooked in butter, but I think I'll have some simple avocado and cheese tonight, maybe some tofu, no meat and see how things go.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    If your stomach is temporarily rebelling why eat? Peppermint tea, ginger lemon tea, licorice tea all help. Broth is always good too.
  • moonlights
    Options
    I have various medical issues meaning I can't fast a full day, but I'm only having two meals at the moment.

I also hate herbal/mint/fruit teas! I'm too picky I guess. Not tried liquorice though I might look out for it. Broth also isn't appealing right now, but my tofu and avocado seems to have been ok.
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Fennel is traditional for digestion in Indian foodways-chewed after meals or can be brewed as tea.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Fennel tea is good but it really affects the bladder, you will be on the pee pot more than usual, lol.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What have you been eating?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs and broth, separate and together (egg drop soup!).

I second the egg drop soup. It's my go to when I'm feeling sick or nauseated.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Check into whether you might have low stomach acid. When I started feeling "off" on whatever I ate or on my proteins/fats, I realized that it was in part due to difficulties with digestions. There were a number of articles posted on this in the sticky. I'll just say that whether or not you have it, it really never hurts to check it out.

After I identified this likelihood, I added in ACV and digestive enzymes, and I've never been happier with my digestion in my life...and that's without a gallbladder, and all the digestive drama that entails...
  • moonlights
    Options
    I have a cold now so I think the nausea was down to the cold starting - couldn't face eggs so egg drop soup was out but I tried chicken broth, tofu with veggies and cheese to get me though.

If I am still feeling off when the cold passes I'll look into the stomach acid thing but I have so many health issues it's usually hard for me to go by symptoms lists.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @moonlights - I SOOOOOO hear you on that. I remember being 6 weeks postpartum after having my daughter, having been in intermittent pain since before she was born, only to find out I didn't have 2 of the 3 diagnosing factors to confirm that not only was I passing gallstones, I'd been passing them while pregnant, having doctors tell me it was heartburn, in my head, etc. 6 weeks, multiple doctors appointments, then found out completely accidentally.

So yeah, if there are a top 3-5 symptoms, I often won't have 50% of them, or more...

I just know that I hit a wall 3 times with my foods, burping, flatulence, alternating loose/tight stools, solid foods in my waste, heartburn, indigestion, nutrient deficiencies, anything in that arena - all pointed to stomach acid issues.

I hope you feel better soon!
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Kombucha tends to help my upset tummy.
  • moonlights
    Options
    KnitOrMiss - you poor thing. I went to the doctor crying in agony to be told the pain was all in my head - a couple of years ago now.

Turned out to be a severe gastric ulcer. Doctors don't tend to diagnose overweight people very well.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I was overweight, but not horrible so when I was pregnant. The majority of my weight came on after my delivery, as the hormonal storm that went on there kicked my PCOS (heretofore unknown) into overdrive. I think it was more that I didn't have the normal symptoms they were told to observe, and honestly, and OB/GYN and a Primary Doctor probably didn't have that much experience with gallstones, etc. That and I'm sure they thought I was making it up. I even remember them saying once, "I would think this was gallstones except she doesn't show XYZ or QRS..."
  • dk6boys
    dk6boys Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    carom wrote: »
    I find taking a probiotic or two helps me when I'm feeling queasy. I am eating a lot of coconut oil and this in turn does give me reflux and a upset tummy. I am thinking to get some lard and try that instead.

I too have been getting serious reflux and heartburn from all the excess oil. Tried mct oil and every time I get an intense week long acid problem. I've been trying to research to see if other people have this issue and how to resolve it!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @dk6boys - Coconut oil is actually a big part of what helped me figure out that I really did have low stomach acid (like what you say above)... I would ask how much MCT Oil you were taking at a time, and when/how. I take it with my meal. On an empty stomach, it's a straight ticket to Hades for me. 1-2 tsp, probably, 2-3 times a day. But I had to build up. Used to be disaster pants.

I can tell you that the "acid problem" you hint at is likely due to you missing a key acid component and your body overproducing the other acids to compensate to help break down the MCT oil... If I had to guess. Lots of info on this topic in the sticky post.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    It is so strange, but I just recently developed an egg allergy at 54 years old. I get really bad tummy aches after eating eggs very soon after consumption. Then about 2 hours later I break out in hives. This is something totally new. I've been drinking peppermint tea and water. Seems to help a bit. Of course, the only thing I found that really works is to figure out what is causing your upset stomach and then avoid it. Feel better.