How to know it's not just water weight?

Options
40DayFit
40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
edited October 2016 in Social Groups
Hi fellow LCDers!

I started my keto adventure on 10/30/16. I keep my net carbs at 20g, protein 90 g, on a 1800 calorie intake (a deficit for my ~2100 BMR).

In the last 10 days, I've dropped 10 lbs on the scale. Super thrilled and a bit weirded out, since I was trained to appreciate a slow, steady fat loss of 1-2 lbs/week.

So. I know most of this is water released since dropping carbs so low. And with the reduced inflammation and "pudge," I am VERY grateful. Still, I'd sure like to know: At what point can I know that the drop on the scale most likely reflects fat loss? This assumes a steady commitment to my 20g net carb limit and staying within my calorie ceiling. Which, I should add, I have transgressed a few times, by ~100 calories.

I know you can't give any prescriptive medical advice, but your thoughts & experiences welcome!

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Tape measure and skinfold calipers. Get each, and become proficient with them. It won't tell you exact BF% (nothing is 100% accurate) but they will allow you to track trends.
  • 40DayFit
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder about measurements, @Gallowmere1984. I have both of these, but think the calipers aren't all that useful at my current ~45% bodyfat. I'll start taking monthly measurements and keep them in MFP for comparison over time. Thinking I should also brave up & figure out how to take consistent body shots as well, around the same time I'm measuring.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    They're never going to be completely accurate, but even at your current weight, they'll be good for seeing trends. With as heavy as you are, it can be pretty easy to get discouraged, because though you shrink, everything just kind if still looks the same until you get to a more reasonable bodyfat. Hell, I looked practically the same from 25% on down to about 18%. It was just a slightly smaller version of the same body. It wasn't until the past few months where thing really started to define, when I started lifting again.
  • 40DayFit
    Options
    Good thing I don't focus on the scale for my sense of self! I'm so thrilled to be out of inflammation, feel so light in my step, so clear in my mind... I just want to have a proper sense of when I'm actually reducing fat...I'm guessing I can't be dropping water weight forever!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I lost quick my first week and then settled into a consistent 1-2 pounds per week, so after that initial 7 pounds I figure it's fat loss.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You've lost the water, now anything you lose will be... not water. Unless you gain some water back, which does happen and is where you will certainly see some fluctuations on the scale.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    When you lose weight, it is going to be a mix of fat, water, and muscle mass.

Eat enough protein to retain as much muscle mass as possible, and if you are into it, get into a resistance training routine. That will help retain muscle as well.

Water weight is always going to be part of your 'weight'. You lose so much of it when you start because your glycogen stores are depleting and releasing the water. When your stores are depleted and you aren't refilling them, you will feel less 'puffy'. But you can retain water during events like time of the month and that is going to effect the number on the scale (if you check).

You're always going to fluctuate but if you track the trend over time, take measurements, and pictures, then you will notice the fat loss.
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    After the first week you've lost your water stores. The rest is always a mix, as Samantha says, but basically from the 2nd week in you'll be losing 'fat' not just flushing water.
  • 40DayFit
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Helps to know what other folks have experienced.

I'm approaching my cycle right now, so I'll wait another week or so to take "baseline" measurements and photos, and go from there. I figure by now I'm in the "not just water weight" stage, so I'll trust that the combination of these measurements will say something meaningful over time.
  • grafixfrh
    grafixfrh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use a smart scale although not completely accurate it does show me some signs of what mass ratio I am losing or gaining as I only weight once a week so the numbers are more defined. I agree after the first 2 weeks any losses will be a combination of each. That first week of low-carb will definitely be alot of water just make sure to replace it with water and sodium so what fat does manage to break away can be cleared out.