Vegenaise, brown rice syrup, fasting state and ketosis?

Options
solska
solska Posts: 348 Member
Hi,

I love vegenaise. I was also happy that it's out there as a health food and it has zero carbs. I noticed, however, that brown rice syrup is listed in the ingredients. Does this mean that the carb amount is somewhere up to 0.99 per spoon and they don't report it? I'm not so much worried about the total carb amount as one can't eat that much of it, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks/knows there may be enough carbs in this to throw one out of a fasting ketosis (as in bulletproof coffee fats). Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I would say that yes there are definitely carbs in this but the serving size is low enough they can legally label it 0. I guess it's fine to eat if you stick to small amounts. You'd probably need to eat a good bit to get out of ketosis provided your other food choices are very low carb. Are you vegan or unable to eat eggs for some reason? Otherwise I think real mayo has a lot better looking ingredient list and I'd choose that personally. However if you prefer this to mayo it shouldn't hurt anything in small quantities.

Edit to add...I just saw the part about fasting/bulletproof coffee. Are you adding this to your bulletproof coffee? Or are you just eating this with no food for the purpose of fasting? Either way then yes I think as far as that is concerned it will not count as a fast. It should be pure fat like butter, coconut oil, or MCT oil.
  • solska
    Options
    Thank you for the response. I hope that is so!
    I usually eat this with things. I wouldn't add it to bpc. I've been trying to cut down on coffee/tea (because, sleep)... and the other day before I left I wanted to take some fat in but didn't want to eat butter or oil straight. I love the taste of vegenaise so I thought it's also fat I'll have a couple of spoons of that to longer the fast. Then a close look at the ingredients, and I saw brown rice syrup (I saw nutritionists write this is sthg that may act like MSG in foods promoted as being healthy). And I got concerned that a few spoons of this might kick me out of ketosis.

I was vegeterian (pesceterian) for fifteen years, ate little meat before than. I was vegan briefly when I felt great and my weight was definitely lower than average but it wasn't sustainable for me as I love yoghurt and cheese.

I started adding meat about a few years ago after doctors and other literature pointing out there might be a link between my thyroid tumors (I also have a pituitary tumor), not eating any meat, and eating too much soy products. Since then I cut most of the soy and I try to get organic nongmo soy when I do, I eat some red meat and sometimes bacon. I don't eat chicken or other poultry. I eat lots of eggs nowadays since I'm trying to be low carb and I can get fresh eggs from a farm nearby. But there are times when I won't have an appetite for eggs for months... It's one of those things for me. So I started eating vegenaise back on my vegeterian days but I eat it mostly because it tastes so good and I haven't had any mayonnaise (other than the rare homemade) that didn't make me nauseous. If anyone has suggestions for a mayonnaise they like, I'd give it a try.

For now happy to hear that my vegenaise is still ok for low carb!

A couple of other foods also concern me in terms of breaking a fast. I tried to search but it's impossible to search just this forum. I guess I should open other threads for them, but I'm wondering about sugar free lifesavers, they have sorbitol and the small amount of sugar in kombucha (gingerade by GT). These are foods that make me feel good. I'm on Dostinex and it makes me nauseous and they help. But I also don't want to be stalled especially now that I'm determined to start losing and want to commit to low carb.

coffee/tea
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I would say that yes there are definitely carbs in this but the serving size is low enough they can legally label it 0. I guess it's fine to eat if you stick to small amounts. You'd probably need to eat a good bit to get out of ketosis provided your other food choices are very low carb. Are you vegan or unable to eat eggs for some reason? Otherwise I think real mayo has a lot better looking ingredient list and I'd choose that personally. However if you prefer this to mayo it shouldn't hurt anything in small quantities.

Edit to add...I just saw the part about fasting/bulletproof coffee. Are you adding this to your bulletproof coffee? Or are you just eating this with no food for the purpose of fasting? Either way then yes I think as far as that is concerned it will not count as a fast. It should be pure fat like butter, coconut oil, or MCT oil.

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Labels (at least here in Australia) have nutrition per serve and nutrition per 100g. I always look at the nutrition per 100g to get a true idea of how "carb rich" something is.
  • solska
    Options
    Wish it was like that here too!
    Labels (at least here in Australia) have nutrition per serve and nutrition per 100g. I always look at the nutrition per 100g to get a true idea of how "carb rich" something is.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    solska wrote: »
    Thank you for the response. I hope that is so!
    I usually eat this with things. I wouldn't add it to bpc. I've been trying to cut down on coffee/tea (because, sleep)... and the other day before I left I wanted to take some fat in but didn't want to eat butter or oil straight. I love the taste of vegenaise so I thought it's also fat I'll have a couple of spoons of that to longer the fast. Then a close look at the ingredients, and I saw brown rice syrup (I saw nutritionists write this is sthg that may act like MSG in foods promoted as being healthy). And I got concerned that a few spoons of this might kick me out of ketosis.

I was vegeterian (pesceterian) for fifteen years, ate little meat before than. I was vegan briefly when I felt great and my weight was definitely lower than average but it wasn't sustainable for me as I love yoghurt and cheese.

I started adding meat about a few years ago after doctors and other literature pointing out there might be a link between my thyroid tumors (I also have a pituitary tumor), not eating any meat, and eating too much soy products. Since then I cut most of the soy and I try to get organic nongmo soy when I do, I eat some red meat and sometimes bacon. I don't eat chicken or other poultry. I eat lots of eggs nowadays since I'm trying to be low carb and I can get fresh eggs from a farm nearby. But there are times when I won't have an appetite for eggs for months... It's one of those things for me. So I started eating vegenaise back on my vegeterian days but I eat it mostly because it tastes so good and I haven't had any mayonnaise (other than the rare homemade) that didn't make me nauseous. If anyone has suggestions for a mayonnaise they like, I'd give it a try.

For now happy to hear that my vegenaise is still ok for low carb!

A couple of other foods also concern me in terms of breaking a fast. I tried to search but it's impossible to search just this forum. I guess I should open other threads for them, but I'm wondering about sugar free lifesavers, they have sorbitol and the small amount of sugar in kombucha (gingerade by GT). These are foods that make me feel good. I'm on Dostinex and it makes me nauseous and they help. But I also don't want to be stalled especially now that I'm determined to start losing and want to commit to low carb.

coffee/tea
    anglyn1 wrote: »

If you are able to make progress with any adaptation you make to a technical fast for your own preferences, then I wouldn't sweat the details.
    Technically, even a bulletproof fast isn't a real fast. But the work around is that coconut oil, MCT oil and butter do not stop FIAF (fasting induced adipose factor) so they arguably don't end a fast. Things with sweeteners, sugars, protein, fiber and such will end FIAF and the real problem with that is that it signals hunger and makes continuing on the fast more difficult.
    At least according to what Dave Asprey says about it anyway.
    But, even he has said that fasting at all in any way you need to do it to get it done is better than never fasting at all.
  • solska
    Options
    Thanks, yes, exactly. I'm trying to figure out if the "brown rice syrup" in vegenaise could act like sugar, cause that would sabotage the whole fat fasting.

If you are able to make progress with any adaptation you make to a technical fast for your own preferences, then I wouldn't sweat the details.
    Technically, even a bulletproof fast isn't a real fast. But the work around is that coconut oil, MCT oil and butter do not stop FIAF (fasting induced adipose factor) so they arguably don't end a fast. Things with sweeteners, sugars, protein, fiber and such will end FIAF and the real problem with that is that it signals hunger and makes continuing on the fast more difficult.
    But, even he has said that fasting at all in any way you need to do it to get it done is better than never fasting at all.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Thanks, yes, exactly. I'm trying to figure out if the "brown rice syrup" in vegenaise could act like sugar, cause that would sabotage the whole fat fasting.

I think anything that isn't butter, coconut oil or MCT oil stops FIAF.
  • solska
    Options
    So I wrote to the company that makes the vegenaise and they wrote back pretty fast and said that it's 0.5 grams of carbs per serving. 3.4 gr per 100grams. Not too bad. Though not sure if that's enough to throw one out of a fat fast.