anyone ever done an egg fast??

Options
Egg fast anyone?? I was just wondering if anyone has tried it, and if so, what were your results? I was thinking of trying it to reset from the weekend and make menu planning easy for a few days. A few pounds lost wouldn't be bad either.

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I tried to egg fast and it made me so hungry I couldn't stand it. I think I ate about 4000 cals each in the first two days in eggs and butter. I quit after day two.
  • HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have looked at it and considered it...and then thought about how many eggs you would seriously have to eat. The thought made me nauseous -- a few here and there I definitely do...but not every meal for days. :( Plus, I really like food. And things that taste delicious.
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I never thought I could do it before, but since I have been eating this way for several months, my cravings and hunger has gotten much better. I would love to get a jump start before Thanksgiving, and start lowering my daily calorie intake. It seemed like an easy way to do that without too much thought and effort. I have 3 teenage boys, so it gets hard to food prep for all of us. Eggs are easy. I am only thinking 3 days a week for this month before Thanksgiving. Not an extended fast. I may give it a whirl..
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do an egg fast but would be open to a zero carb WOE for a few days, ie eggs, bacon, heavy cream, fat bombs, tea, coffee, water.
  • missippibelle
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    I wouldn't do an egg fast but would be open to a zero carb WOE for a few days, ie eggs, bacon, heavy cream, fat bombs, tea, coffee, water.

I have seen a variation where you can have bacon too. I think I am going to try eggs, or maybe eggs/bacon and bulletproof coffee for 3 days a week until thanksgiving. Maybe M-W or, T-Th. I think zero carb would be good for me. I have too much carb creep, and I need to get away from nuts!

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Nope. When I want to cut fast, I follow an actual protocol, not some random person's terrible idea. Where the hell did that thing even come from?
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    What are you specifically trying to accomplish w/this? I see harsh food restriction for the purpose of weight loss as a slippery slope toward disordered eating. Crash dieting is notoriously harmful. If this is about testing for food allergies or something like that, well, eggs-only might not be the friendliest route.

If it's about pulling back from low-carb treats or other indulgences, I imagine any simply-prepared, whole-foods, high-nutrient value feeding plan would work!
  • tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love eggs. I already eat between 3-7 per day. I'd be willing to bet this wouldn't be that difficult for me, lol.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    The egg fast plan that's I tried wasn't just eating eggs. It's making foods from eggs such as keto pancakes with eggs and cream cheese. For the eggs that you eat, you eat fat with them. BPC was on plan even. So if you are thinking it's just eating eggs, boiled, fried, scrambled, etc and nothing else, that's not how the plan is set up. Regardless, for whatever reason I couldn't feel satisfied or like I'd eaten enough of whatever it was I was eating. I think for some it can work to help kick start ketosis if you are already lower carb or do a reset as the OP suggested. And this fast is only meant for a few days. It is not meant to be a long term solution to anything, but is truly meant as a kick start to whatever it is you want to kick :smile:

I'd add that there are many, many people who would say our WOE - LCHF/Keto is a slippery slope toward an eating disorder as well yet here we all are...Keto On.

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast.html
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I love eggs so this fast would probably be really easy for me, BUT I find anything that is too restrictive puts me on a slippery slope.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I did it for 3 days just eating eggs cooked in butter sometimes with cheese. Never got tired of it at all. My food just needs to be good and good for me. I don't need it to be fancy or different. It's just food.
    That said, it didn't help me break my "stall". I felt perfectly fine the whole time and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I thought I needed to eat so simply for whatever reason.
  • missippibelle
    Options
    I did it for 3 days just eating eggs cooked in butter sometimes with cheese. Never got tired of it at all. My food just needs to be good and good for me. I don't need it to be fancy or different. It's just food.
    That said, it didn't help me break my "stall". I felt perfectly fine the whole time and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I thought I needed to eat so simply for whatever reason.

This is how I was looking at it too.

I work 10 hour days and have 3 teenage bottomless pits to feed, who also play sports. Some weeks are crazy with traveling to away games, etc... I was looking for something easy and mindless to feed myself and maybe get a little boost. I only get 30 minutes for lunch, so being prepared is a must. I keep a few Atkins frozen meals at work for days that I am desperate, but I would rather eat real food. I actually love to cook, and I usually prep for the week on Sunday, but this weekend was packed and I didn't have time for myself. I prepped for the boys instead. I just thought if it made a few days of this week, (or other really busy weeks) easier to prepare for myself and maybe helped me stay on plan it may be an option for me.

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've not done a "fast" but kinda, sorta get the point in regards to simplifying foods/intake. The end result may be that you find that simple is better in the long run. Food does not need to be complex. It just needs to fuel your body's functions.
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've done it. Made me feel incredibly unwell and lost about 3lb in that week so no faster than usual, really.
    Meat and eggs I can do but I'd never do just eggs again.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    The egg fast plan that's I tried wasn't just eating eggs. It's making foods from eggs such as keto pancakes with eggs and cream cheese. For the eggs that you eat, you eat fat with them. BPC was on plan even. So if you are thinking it's just eating eggs, boiled, fried, scrambled, etc and nothing else, that's not how the plan is set up. Regardless, for whatever reason I couldn't feel satisfied or like I'd eaten enough of whatever it was I was eating. I think for some it can work to help kick start ketosis if you are already lower carb or do a reset as the OP suggested. And this fast is only meant for a few days. It is not meant to be a long term solution to anything, but is truly meant as a kick start to whatever it is you want to kick :smile:

I'd add that there are many, many people who would say our WOE - LCHF/Keto is a slippery slope toward an eating disorder as well yet here we all are...Keto On.

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast.html

Yea this is what I think of when I hear/read egg fast. Not just boiling, scrambling, frying eggs but eating high fat foods made mostly of eggs. I have never tried it though because it still seems too restrictive and lacks protein and also seems like it may not provide a lot of nutrient diversity.