Just starting and I'm a bit overwhelmed

Options
2»

Replies

• MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Okay good, I understand that I need a daily calorie deficit to loose but the way that article was written it almost sounded like you should not set up a deficit.

Last question should I set up my diary so that it gives me calorie adjustments for my activity (I wear a fitbit)? In the past I've kept my settings at sedentary and then let the fitbit adjust my calories as my day goes on. I teach so M-F I am definitely not sedentary.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    MKknits wrote: »
    @Sarahb29 there is an add on script you can use to make it calculate net carbs...would you like me to link you to the directions? It only works on the Web based, but on my app I just know to subtract fiber from my total fat.

Can you link me to the directions too please?
  • MKknits
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @marm1962 Here are the directions I used http://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/

I noticed when I was going through the launchpad last night that these directions are there as well, so it seems they are reliable!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Many will suggest to you as you head into a low carb lifestyle start by not worrying about calories and then once you are adapted change your calorie goals. I personally did not do it that way but I understand it can work well for many. That may be why the article read as it did.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Well said @Sunny!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Okay good, I understand that I need a daily calorie deficit to loose but the way that article was written it almost sounded like you should not set up a deficit.

Last question should I set up my diary so that it gives me calorie adjustments for my activity (I wear a fitbit)? In the past I've kept my settings at sedentary and then let the fitbit adjust my calories as my day goes on. I teach so M-F I am definitely not sedentary.

I do have my fitbit connected. I average about 18-20k steps a day. My experience is even with MFP set at sedentary, I have to put in that I am trying to lose 0.5 lbs a week in order for it to be accurate to maintain. This runs in line with what my fitbit shows also.

What I would suggest is having it track, but also keep track of actual progress in losing weight and adjust accordingly. Either way, don't feel like you have to eat back calories burned through movement/exercise. If you can go without eating because you aren't hungry, that just helps you lose faster. For me, the more active I am, the less I feel like eating. Combine that with keto, and losing to my goal was not difficult. My only issue is I really LIKE to eat, not so much that I am hungry.
  • MKknits
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ Thank you I think that is what was driving me nuts, there are so many opinions about what to eat/not to eat/how to eat/when to eat. I've previously done very prescribed type diets (or "lifestyle changes" as Weight Watchers likes to say) so the freedom to make some of these choices based on how I feel and what I feel I need feels like I'm doing something "wrong". And I want to do this right - but I need to change my mindset and remember that my right is not anyone else's right.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ Thank you I think that is what was driving me nuts, there are so many opinions about what to eat/not to eat/how to eat/when to eat. I've previously done very prescribed type diets (or "lifestyle changes" as Weight Watchers likes to say) so the freedom to make some of these choices based on how I feel and what I feel I need feels like I'm doing something "wrong". And I want to do this right - but I need to change my mindset and remember that my right is not anyone else's right.

The nice thing about this group is that everyone is willing to share what works for them, without making you feel like that's what you need to do. It's a great way to get ideas. :) It's a very YMMV group. :heart:
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I agree with YMMV. And I'm learning that my needs evolve and change with the wind so hearing how that happens to others and how they handle it has been really helpful. The first couple of days I had where I felt like I was starving after feeling so satisfied for so many days was awful. It only took a minute to find others in the same boat, who had been in the same boat and who had strategies for handling it. I took what I thought would work for me from what I learned and moved forward with some success instead of struggling.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I do have my fitbit connected. I average about 18-20k steps a day. My experience is even with MFP set at sedentary, I have to put in that I am trying to lose 0.5 lbs a week in order for it to be accurate to maintain. This runs in line with what my fitbit shows also.

What I would suggest is having it track, but also keep track of actual progress in losing weight and adjust accordingly. Either way, don't feel like you have to eat back calories burned through movement/exercise. If you can go without eating because you aren't hungry, that just helps you lose faster. For me, the more active I am, the less I feel like eating. Combine that with keto, and losing to my goal was not difficult. My only issue is I really LIKE to eat, not so much that I am hungry.

The bold is real. You can set things however you want to set them but you have to track how it is working for you.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options

Regards Fitbit adjustments. You teach kids, have kids, etc. you are not sedentary, so up your activity level if you want adjustments, otherwise they will be way over for you to have a deficit. You might want to check out the Fitbit groups FAQ
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy#latest
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    As an obese lady myself who have lost 40kg's by now, I didn't lose on 1900 calories.
    1400 calories or less, 65%-70% fat, 20% - 25% protein and 5% carbs is my sweet spot.
    But again, you activity level, height and weight plays a big role.