Day 4 of reset - It is ok to lift right???

Options
sassiebritches
sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
So far so good, had my breakdown at the store, my shock at getting more then 20g carbs in and I am day 3 of my cal intake and my macro intake. I am tired alot, which is hard, seems I feel like I need a nap alot now, and I have a headache. These were things I was happy to be rid of when I did Low carb.....but I am sure that this will pass.

All that was not the reason for my post :P Just want to be sure of a couple things. I am planning to stay on my reset eating at my TDEE for another 4 weeks easy if not 6 weeks, I did gain 2lbs and it is gone, I am still at same, so far :P. My TDEE is set for lightly active 3 days a week (I do ride horseback too when not too hot out). It is ok for me to be lifting or doing HIIT right? I am warming up with a short 10 min cardio warmup and then 15-20 mins of beginner HIIT. I have no weights yet, so I am using 1 gallon Milk jugs :P and my own weight (push ups, planks, situps). My question is, should I be sitting for 4-6 weeks resetting at TDEE or is this short 30 min every other day ok? I do not wanna screw anything up on the reset - I am not in a hurry. (that hurry stuff is what got me here). I think I might be confused about the Bulking too. I have read a bunch on the site and I just might not get it. Is lifting and eating at the TDEE bulking? IS there a link to what people do for workout / eating when bulking? I do want to gain muscle, so I am guessing it is ok....but again, if I am at my reset point, is HIIT gonna screw with that reset???? I am 234 pounds, so obviously want to lose some weight, at least 80 lbs, but I do understand the benefit of muscles to get me there.

Replies

• princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Ok im am a newbie at this too but my understNding is.. if you are working out... your TDEE will be higher then if you were sitting around chilling out for 4 weeks.. so I would think it would be fine to work out.. just make sure your eatting enough cals to reach your TDEE... make sence??
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    Ok im am a newbie at this too but my understNding is.. if you are working out... your TDEE will be higher then if you were sitting around chilling out for 4 weeks.. so I would think it would be fine to work out.. just make sure your eatting enough cals to reach your TDEE... make sence??

Yes ! Totally makes sense, I have my numbers in for my TDEE....perfect!
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options
    Lol.. your gonna always get about 5000 different opinons... but thats what id do if I was reseting... im ok at the moment... kinda doveinto it... but im lucky I wasnt on a vlcd.. zo I think my mmetabolic rates ok.. lol... will see how I go.. just started weights today..
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are off to a great start! Yes, you are right that it can be hard at the beginning. Most find the first two weeks to be the hardest (both mentally and physically...) as the body acclimates and adapts.

Absolutely, you can start your weight lifting program. Weight lifting is what transforms the body, and there is no time like the present to start... HIIT is fine as well, and it is recommended to do two 20 - 30 minute sessions per week, in addition to the three days of weight training. Just make sure that when you have figured out your TDEE, that this exercise program is factored into your calculations.

As far as the question about bulking: Bulking is a period of eating slightly *above* maintenance (or TDEE) calories, while lifting heavy in order to build muscle. This is followed by a period of Cutting, where you reducing the cals again to remove the fat that's covering the muscles.

In contrast, you are doing a metabolism re-set. You are eating *at*, not *above* TDEE in an effort to remind your metabolism of what its true maintenance level is.

So, there are three "options" or different phases:

Cut = below TDEE,
    Maintenance = at TDEE, and
    Bulk = above TDEE.

Some never do the Bulk phase and just alternate between Maintenance and Cut in order to drop the fat, while others do the Bulk/Cut cycles in order to really try to build muscle mass.

Hope that makes a little sense :-)
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just got off an 8 week reset and exercised that whole time (cardio and Body Pump classes). It seemed to be just fine for me and after YEARS of not losing, I am FINALLY losing again. OMG I am so happy!! I hope to be a success story one of these days for EM2WL :)
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options
    I am sure you will be :)
  • llangstraat
    llangstraat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are off to a great start! Yes, you are right that it can be hard at the beginning. Most find the first two weeks to be the hardest (both mentally and physically...) as the body acclimates and adapts.

Absolutely, you can start your weight lifting program. Weight lifting is what transforms the body, and there is no time like the present to start... HIIT is fine as well, and it is recommended to do two 20 - 30 minute sessions per week, in addition to the three days of weight training. Just make sure that when you have figured out your TDEE, that this exercise program is factored into your calculations.

As far as the question about bulking: Bulking is a period of eating slightly *above* maintenance (or TDEE) calories, while lifting heavy in order to build muscle. This is followed by a period of Cutting, where you reducing the cals again to remove the fat that's covering the muscles.

In contrast, you are doing a metabolism re-set. You are eating *at*, not *above* TDEE in an effort to remind your metabolism of what its true maintenance level is.

Cut = below TDEE,
    Bulk = above TDEE.

Some never do the Bulk phase and just alternate between Maintenance and Cut in order to drop the fat, while others do the Bulk/Cut cycles in order to really try to build muscle mass.

^^^^^I would listen to this lady, she knows what shes talking about and has the success to back it up! :)
  • sassiebritches
    Options

Cut = below TDEE,
    Bulk = above TDEE.

Yes this was AWESOME!
    I am not really lifting like I wanna, cause I am a poor girl, so right now I am using milk jugs, til I build up the budget for some real weights -(Hubby gonna start lifting too) and I am doing that with my HIIT right now. I also plan to be Horseback riding 2 days a week, which can be quite a cardio workout. Right now with the 20 mins of milk jug lifting (8.34 lbs each) and situps, push ups, planks 3 days a week I have my TDEE set to 3 days lightly active. I tend to do these on the days that I might eat out or have a bit extra on something I would not usually have. I am maintaining pretty much where I have been for 7 months, so I am confident that after my 4 (maybe 6) week of resetting I will cut and maintain a program and see how we do. I have realized that my goals have changed some from all this research. I wanna be fit now, not skinny. What good is wearing a size 7 Miss Me jeans if I am flabby and skin-ny under it all.....Not to mention the fact that I want to be HEALTHY......So ok, I will continue my HIIT and start lifting when I get better weight system.....YAY!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are off on the right foot - and congratulations on committing to a full 4 - 6 week re-set. It seems so daunting at first, then by the end you probably won't want to cut!

And great job trying to get in some strength training - there are tons of body weight exercises (like you are already doing), and they are totally free! Especially since your hubby want to get involved, keep an eye on Craig's List, and maybe you can pick up a set of dumbbells cheap. Personally, I got all of mine at WalMart and just added to my collection over time - now I have my own complete home gym :-)

And you are so right, fitting into small clothes if you are saggy is not a great reward.... Weight training has made the most dramatic changes in my body, and can be so empowering ...and EM2WL is what gives us the proper fuel for those awesome workouts!

Feel free to friend me if you feel like you could use some support along the way...