calories on workout days

Hi Emily and Sam,

I was reading an article in Health magazine that says, "Reduce your calorie intake by no more than 500 calories a day, and torch roughly the same number through exercise. A 1,000 calorie daily deficit should help you lose 2 pounds a week."

So my question is that on the days that I work out, the calories I burned are added to my 1200 daily calorie amount on My Fitness Pal. So, for example, today I burned 459 calories raising my calorie amount that I can eat to 1659. It sounds like from this article, though, that I should stick to the 1200 calories and not eat the 1659 calories in order to cut 1,000 calories out of my day. Does this sound right? I always eat more on my workout days. It is like getting an extra meal!

Should I still stick to 1200 calories whether I workout or not or is this just a suggestion for FAST weight loss rather than slower weight loss? I don't see a whole lot of movement on the scale other than a few pounds, so thought maybe I should eat the lesser amount of calories even on workout days while still trying to get my 100 or so grams of protein in.

Thanks for your input!

Sandy

Replies

• sdexter22
    sdexter22 Posts: 7 Member
    Hey Sandy,

It is okay to eat a little bit extra calories on days that you workout but I wouldn't go above 1,400 total calories on those days. Your added calories should come from added healthy carb sources both pre and post workout. I wouldn't go as high as the 1659 that my fitness pal is saying, that is way too many extra calories for those days. Even with 1400 calories you should see more of a change in your weight loss.

- Coach Sam
  • ewalkerr2932
    ewalkerr2932 Posts: 9 Member
    Hi Sandy,

Yes, great response by Sam, I agree! Upping your calories to around 1400 is a wise idea for days in which you do HIIT like OTF. We use our carbohydrate stores during work outs for energy which is why both protein and carbohydrates are important post workout. Choose "slower" digested carbohydrates!
  • sandykarwowski
    sandykarwowski Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks Ladies! That makes a lot of sense. Seriously bummed that I was mislead by My Fitness Pal thinking I could eat more since it upped my calories on workout days. I have been eating like that for a year and half now! Grrrr...Oh well. Lesson learned. Here's to new goals and seeing new results! : ) Thanks for your valuable input!