Diet soda

Options
MKknits
MKknits Posts: 184 Member
I'm working on getting rid of it. I like various sparkling waters and they work nearly as well taste wise for me...but does diet soda affect blood sugars? Am I messing up by having 1 can every few days as I start my keto journey? I feel like in moderation as a sometimes treat there are wrose choices but I also realize that I listen to the siren song of Diet Dr. Pepper so perhaps I'm not a good judge.

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I drink it. Some days when people around me are having treats, some pepper pistachios and a diet root beer make it like I'm having one too.

It hasn't affected my loss or made me crave sweets. If/when that changes, I'll reassess.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've never checked my blood sugar so don't know if it had any effect on mine. I quit artificial sweetners 10/1/16 to see if they might be influencing my involuntary movements caused by a neurological disorder. I've noted no change in anything.

Diet soda never seemed to cause me to crave anything. Not having Diet soda hasn't resulted me eating more or less. I drank it daily. A lot. Daily.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    They may not affect blood sugar, at least not by much but some sources say they can affect insulin. If insulin is secreted in anticipation of sweet food or drink then you wouldn't see an affect on blood sugar necessarily because glucose would be released as well to prevent a low blood sugar.
    The problem is the presence of insulin will affect fat burning.
  • MKknits
    Options
    So insulin is released even when we taste something sweet?
  • MKknits
    Options
    Do you have any articles or links I can read about that?

I love to research and as a science teacher this stuff fascinates me.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It will not negatively impact fat loss if it does impact energy balance.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    MKknits wrote: »
    Do you have any articles or links I can read about that?

I love to research and as a science teacher this stuff fascinates me.

I don't have any resources saved but you can search for the term Cephalic Phase Insulin Release (CPIR).
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I decided to do a search myself.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18556090/?i=2&from=/17510492/related

" A significant increase of plasma insulin concentration was apparent after stimulation with sucrose and saccharin. In conclusion, the current data suggest that the sweeteners sucrose and saccharin activate a CPIR even when applied to the oral cavity only."

They didn't check with every sweetener so we have to decide whether or not we think this applies to others such as aspartame, sucralose, even stevia and such. Personally, I think it may have to do with the intensity of the sweetness more than the source.
    At least in my case, I seem to do fine as far as craving sweetness goes as long as I stick to non artificial seeeteners and use only the minimum amount possible to get a touch of sweetness instead of dessert level sweet taste.

Edited to add this opposing study.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16280432/?i=2&from=/20619074/related

There are others that say CPIR does not occur as well. So, who knows! But my personal experience tells me that having too much sweet taste makes me hungry. And from my T1D daughters hunger response immediately after an insulin injection, I believe insulin triggers hunger.
  • MKknits
    Options
    Interesting - thanks for linking the articles.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

Edited to add this opposing study.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16280432/?i=2&from=/20619074/related

There are others that say CPIR does not occur as well. So, who knows! But my personal experience tells me that having too much sweet taste makes me hungry. And from my T1D daughters hunger response immediately after an insulin injection, I believe insulin triggers hunger.

Hmmm, a study of 5 men between the ages of 18 and 28 - not what I'd call a good random sampling of population. Sweet tastes make us feel more hungry, I'm pretty sure of that too.