Oh man...but a good discovery

Options
MKknits
MKknits Posts: 184 Member
I always pack all of my food for the day (except supper) the night before and track it. Today when I went to look in my bag for my usual breakfast I discovered that I had managed to forget to pack my lunch - but I did stop for an iced coffee this morning with cream and splenda and when I really thought about it I wasn't hungry. So my breakfast became my lunch - although it messes up my macros for the day a bit so I'll have to re-figure my supper to get more fats in.

But not needed my breakfast for breakfast because I felt full was a really nice and new feeling.

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Welcome to accidental Intermittent Fasting. :) It makes packing food for work soooo much easier!
  • MKknits
    Options
    I did just have the pepitas I packed - mostly because I was craving the salt :)

Thankfully my lunch tends to be my lowest fat meal because it is something I need to be able to heat up quickly, and eat quickly while monitoring students (and truthfully scrambled eggs with cheese, sausage and spinach totally works so if today goes well I may try this tomorrow as well). So really when you take 4oz of chicken breast, 85 grams of broccoli and 1/2 tsp of butter out of the equation it doesn't make a huge impact on my macros. I'll just add the butter and eat more broccoli with supper tonight. Plus I'm finding having higher fat with supper works well for me.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I agree completely with @RalfLott on this. You will also find many with this WOE have moved to a 16/8 or 18/6 IF schedule where they only eat 2 meals a day because of just not being hungry.

It is good to allow your body an actual fast (thus the name "breakFAST"), and breakfast doesn't have to be in the morning. It could be at noon.

Many others on this WOE have the HWC or something similar as the only calories consumed in the morning.

If you are doing this for weight loss, do not feel like you have to get in all of your calories or all of your fats. When your body becomes fat adapted - which it sounds like may be the case given what you said about not being hungry - then let your body "eat" the body fat you are trying to lose rather than feeling like you have to consume more fat. On the other end, don't make yourself feel deprived. Listen to your body.
  • grafixfrh
    grafixfrh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes there is a fine line between hitting starvation mode and fat synthesis you have to learn the difference with your own body.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    grafixfrh wrote: »
    Yes there is a fine line between hitting starvation mode and fat synthesis you have to learn the difference with your own body.

Hmm. Is there a problem with "starvation" mode if you're trying to shrink your portable pantry?

PS Credit to @Sunny_Bunny_ for this concept!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    grafixfrh wrote: »

Hmm. Is there a problem with "starvation" mode if you're trying to shrink your portable pantry?

PS Credit to @Sunny_Bunny_ for this concept!

Ha! Yeah..... I don't know about all that.
    I don't think the line is fine at all. Because a person isn't starving until they don't have adequate fat storage to pull energy from. I mean, that's it's purpose for existing right?
    I think the typical slow down of metabolism that happens on standard low calorie, low fat diets that are very costly to lean body mass are being confused for this "starvation mode". It doesn't just happen one day when a person wakes up after eating a few super low calorie days.
    Those biggest loser contestants did it for months and months and worked out like their life depended on it! Nobody used the term starvation mode in reference to them. It was metabolic damage from losing so much lean body mass.
    We don't have that problem on keto and lower carb. Ketones make the need for all that glucose uneccesary. We don't tend to lose weight at the expense of our muscle.
    Actual starvation mode requires actual starvation... not just eating 800-1200 calories with plenty in the pantry.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Here's a graphic I got from Dr David Dikeman's facebook page.

You can see that assuming a person is obese or more than a little overweight, this graphic shows allowing a large portion of the fat in a ketogenic diet to come from body fat first then, as fat is reduced, adjust the fat intake to close the calorie deficit allowing less of the fat to come from body fat and more from consumption. This is because body fat is food. Basically. This graphic may suggest a bit of an extreme calorie deficit for someone to use without seeing a doctor regularly, but that doesn't mean it's not an option.
    This is also why it's not necessary to eat if you're not hungry. You've got stored energy. You're gonna be alright! :wink:
    Also why we don't need to be stuffing fat down our gullets for the sole purpose of stuffing fat down our gullets.

kacl6bv0w6ee.jpg
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Here's a graphic I got from Dr David Dikeman's facebook page.

You can see that assuming a person is obese or more than a little overweight, this graphic shows allowing a large portion of the fat in a ketogenic diet to come from body fat first then, as fat is reduced, adjust the fat intake to close the calorie deficit allowing less of the fat to come from body fat and more from consumption. This is because body fat is food. Basically. This graphic may suggest a bit of an extreme calorie deficit for someone to use without seeing a doctor regularly, but that doesn't mean it's not an option.
    This is also why it's not necessary to eat if you're not hungry. You've got stored energy. You're gonna be alright! :wink:
    Also why we don't need to be stuffing fat down our gullets for the sole purpose of stuffing fat down our gullets.

Most elegantly stated. Great resource, too.

Thanks x 1m!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    For me, to my understanding, the decrease in metabolic function stems from losing lean muscle mass and all that - but it comes from NOT BEING ABLE TO ADEQUATELY BURN FAT STORES. If a person has not queued up a fat burning metabolism, eating less will catabolize MUSCLE and carb stores FIRST. Only after it uses up the resources it currently knows how to easily use, only then will it start rewiring mitochondria (and building more) to use FAT for fuel. That's why a person who hasn't flipped on the fat burner switch, they'll lose weight, but it won't always be the weight they want to lose - at least not at first.

For folks whose metabolism isn't compromised, that switch may be easier to flip on and off... For any of us who have been overweight for a length of time, that indicates some form or fashion of metabolic dysfunction, which tells us we literally have to rewire our bodies to know how to use fats/ketones for fuel...

Please correct me if I misunderstood that along the way.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The whole "lean tissue burns calories" thing is greatly overstated, by every actual measured metric that I have ever seen. The fact is that leaner people are more active people, and that ends up carrying into their consumption needs.

It's kind of like the stupid "hardgainer" crap, where if you actually watch these people all of the time, they are either constantly moving, making up for that huge meal you saw them eat by putting in almost nothing the rest of the day, or both.
  • MKknits
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ funny you linked that I was actually reading a blog post that graphic came from last night and it put my mind at ease about not eating all of my calories every.single.day. As a fat girl trying to lose weight I've always been told that I need a calorie deficit (obviously) but that it can't be too big of a deficit or I will go into starvation mode.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    MKknits wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_ funny you linked that I was actually reading a blog post that graphic came from last night and it put my mind at ease about not eating all of my calories every.single.day. As a fat girl trying to lose weight I've always been told that I need a calorie deficit (obviously) but that it can't be too big of a deficit or I will go into starvation mode.

Total bull. If it worked that way, RFL wouldn't work for the obese, yet we have plenty of examples of people dropping 70+ pounds in three months, so long as they can suffer through it.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't check ketones because most have said that it's a meaningless test and it's expensive to add the monitors and strips, etc. I have just ASSUMED I am in ketosis because of the way I eat and feel (less hungry, no cravings, etc) and the weight loss, of course. Being in ketosis, does that mean my fat burning switch is ON?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    I don't check ketones because most have said that it's a meaningless test and it's expensive to add the monitors and strips, etc. I have just ASSUMED I am in ketosis because of the way I eat and feel (less hungry, no cravings, etc) and the weight loss, of course. Being in ketosis, does that mean my fat burning switch is ON?

Being in ketosis means that your body is converting fats to use as energy to replace the energy that would have come from glucose (carbs), so yes, you are in fat-burning mode.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »

I think the best uses for those pricey blood ketones strips are
    - setting your max net carb & protein intake levels;
    - approximating your insulin resistance over time;
    - gauging the effect of diffetent intensity & duration of exercise.
  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    From my experience eating plenty of protein stops your body from eating your muscles. Regular feeds of protein and fat during the day not only keeps you satisfied, but your body will use your fat stores first, then if not enough protein available then uses your own muscles for its protein source.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    bininj wrote: »
    From my experience eating plenty of protein stops your body from eating your muscles. Regular feeds of protein and fat during the day not only keeps you satisfied, but your body will use your fat stores first, then if not enough protein available then uses your own muscles for its protein source.

Yep. Just don't eat much more than "plenty" of protein, or it will add a complimentary serving of carbs to your meal plan in the form of glucose.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Regular strength exercise also helps keep you from losing muscle. You need less protein in your diet than you think also. If you are losing enough that your connective tissue (i.e. Skin) needs to shrink, your body will recycle that protein to help keep up muscle
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    ^^^ autophagy - Nobel prize winning research this year.