Another newbie question

Options
MKknits
MKknits Posts: 184 Member
I tried the launchpad but couldn't find the answer.

How do you know when you are in ketosis? Do you need to buy the strips to know for sure or are there certain "sure signs"?

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    This thread directly answers your question:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10466044/ketosis-without-keto-sticks-newbie#latest

Edit: I added that one to Open Threads just now.

For LaunchPad resources:
    Check under Open Threads.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10434312/fat-adapted-vs-ketosis/p1
    Those links give a thorough discourse on fat adaptation and ketosis
    Another discussion:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/36676790#Comment_36676790

and here's another link in Recommended Resources:
    http://ketopia.com/why-you-need-to-stop-worrying-about-the-color-of-your-ketostix/
    Another resources discussing ketones

And of course, any other thoughts, guys?

Edited: Because I'm a Forgeting ForgetfulFace. :tongue:
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The fact that you were fine skipping breakfast this morning is a good sign :)

For me there was acetone pee and metal mouth/increased thirst at the beginning. I don't get cranky hungry anymore or shaky when I need to eat, I stopped craving sweets and I could go longer and longer without eating.

ETA: I've never used the strips.

ETA#2: LOL @ using the word "never" when I'm only 2 months in...but I haven't used the strips.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Biggest indicator for me is even when I get hungry now, I no longer get "hangry" which is a HUGE deal for me. I also agree with @Cadori about being able to skip breakfast this morning as a key indicator that you are there.
  • MKknits
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I knew I was just overlooking it @baconslave - I'm too much like my middle school students.
  • grafixfrh
    grafixfrh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I personally have went for the 2 meal a day approach which is a brief intermittent fasting. I eat breakfast to start the day as I also do my exercise routine in the mornings and then I eat dinner so generally eat no lunches.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    MKknits wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

I knew I was just overlooking it @baconslave - I'm too much like my middle school students.

In your defense, there are A LOT of items to look through to find it.
    I keep trying to make it better organized, but there's a bit of this, or a bit of that, which is sometimes not enough to give them their own heading. It's a little bit better than the needle in the haystack, but sometimes not by much. :wink:
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    Sure fire indicators for me to know when I am in ketosis:
    1. Don't get hungry when I skip meals
    2. Acetone pee (really strong smelling!)
    3. I come home from a workout and my wife greets me with 'Gawd, you stink' :p
    4. Sense of taste returns - foods that you would not normally consider 'sweet' start tasting sweet again, things like lettuce, carrots and nuts (esp. cashews)

I don't use the strips (never had, even when trying Atkins many years ago).
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Sure fire indicators for me to know when I am in ketosis:
    1. Don't get hungry when I skip meals
    2. Acetone pee (really strong smelling!)
    3. I come home from a workout and my wife greets me with 'Gawd, you stink' :p
    4. Sense of taste returns - foods that you would not normally consider 'sweet' start tasting sweet again, things like lettuce, carrots and nuts (esp. cashews)

I don't use the strips (never had, even when trying Atkins many years ago).

#1 & #4 for sure. Fortunately, I have not had any issues with the odors. I have heard that being an issue. Given my wife's bionic nose and the fact the smell of many many many things upsets her stomach, it was a huge relief this was not something that occurred with me.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

I keep trying to make it better organized, but there's a bit of this, or a bit of that, which is sometimes not enough to give them their own heading. It's a little bit better than the needle in the haystack, but sometimes not by much. :wink:

I think I speak for everyone when I say the time and effort you put into the organization of all that information is GREATLY appreciated.

YES!!!!
  • MKknits
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

I think I speak for everyone when I say the time and effort you put into the organization of all that information is GREATLY appreciated.

AGREED! I have been using it constantly as I get my bearings with this. As a newbie to this it is HUGELY helpful to have it organized - I just overlooked the question I was looking for :smile: