Medication Side Effects

Options
I have recently developed acute flatulence and I'm sure it is caused by the interaction of some of the medications I have to take. Just for info. let me tell you that apart from an underactive thyroid, I also have COPD( emphysema in old terminology) type 2 diabetes, oedema in the legs n causing cellulitis, restricted lower limb usage due to a car crash decades ago and high triglycerides in my blood. I'm on 175 mg Levothyroxine for the thyroid (once daily in the early morning , 300mg gemfibrozil for the trglycerides (twice daily 30 minutes before meals),1500 mg metformin for the diabetes (taken immediately after an evening meal), 1mg Bumetanide as a diuretic of the oedema ( taken twice daily before breakfast and before evening meal) ,10mg Atorvastin as an added precaution re diabetes (taken midday), 2.5 micrograms Spiriva Respimat for underlying 24 hour airways opening re COPD (two inhalations upon waking in the morning) & Fostair accuhaler for 12 hour airways opening re COPD(2 deep inhalations first the in morning and 2 inhalations 11-12 hours later).
In addition, I take daily a multivit tablet, a probiotic tablet (altho' stopped atm) a garlic tablet, a zinc tablet, a potassium tablet, a Ginko Biloba tablet , a Cq10 tablet and a caffeine dosage in tablet form- to counter the acute tiredness I get by midday.

I'm sorry to go into so much detail and indeed to raise the subject itself but, frankly, I'm at my wits end. The GP poo poos(forgive the inappropriate terminology!!!!) the idea and seems to think it's all a figment of my fertile imagination. I wish!. Anyone got any thoughts what could be the cause? BTW, I have other meds to take if I get a COPD exacerbation or a cellulitis attack and these are antibiotics and steroids. I haven't had either recently so can't be part of the cause.

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Have you started taking gemfibrozil recently? The most likely cause is an interaction with the statin - atorvastin which is inhibiting a metabolic pathway. Also curious if you have been eating more vegetables which would cause a shift in your flora. The caffeine tablet may also be stimulating your intestines and impacting your normal flora. Is there a new smell or is it just increased volume?

To the contrary I wish more people would provide this level of detail in their explanations - it would help a great deal on diagnosis if everyone was as thorough.

• rickthexpreacher
    rickthexpreacher Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been taking the gemfibrozil for some years. The statin is fairly recent -about a year-and I have raised the possible duplication of having statin & gemfibrozil. NI have always been a big eater of vegetables so no change there. The smell is much stronger now than heretofore. I take gemfibrozil 30 mins before a meal so that means usually there is about 3 hours between
    that & statins.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I tend to listen to all sorts of radio programmes, somewhere I heard flatulence can become more of an issue as we age. The cause of the flatulence can be because we swallow air with our food and/or drinks, carbonated drinks will exaggerate this issue.

More often it is a change of balance in the gut microbes, some enjoy any "sugars", (foods generally breakdown into sugars), on offer in the body. Oder is an indicator of an overgrowth. I wonder if you have a good health food shop near you? Down on the south coast we have several. (Thinking EN on your page is UK) They sell probiotics in capsule form which should provide more beneficial microbes to the system which could go some way to addressing the problem. The Low Histamine Chef, references some she likes because they are low in additives, but a good Health Food Shop Manager should be able to make suggestions. Simple is best.

It is more common in persons who are hypothyroid because food transit times can be protracted giving the least helpful microbes the time build up their by-product. Keeping well hydrated, using water as well as hot beverages may help. Ensuring your protein and dietary "good fat" levels are good, balanced with your fibre, may help too. You could also try using some olive oil or coconut oil in your meals, these are high salicylate which helps diminish less helpful microbes.

I don't think I have suggested anything which would cause you problems with your medication etc, but because science is indicating the state of our gut health impacts on our immune system you could experience some changes were you to try probiotics.
  • rickthexpreacher
    rickthexpreacher Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much Fuzzipeg. I did wonder whether contributory factor could be the new inhaler I'm using as I suspect I take in a lot of air.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm pleased to have contributed something. All the very best and take great care.