Hand aches and tingling

Options
I feel like maybe something I ate is causing my hands to ache and tingle today. I had this once when I did gluten free and then ate gluten after being off. It makes me wonder if my unwich got cross contactaminated last night. I hope it only lasts a day because it is obnoxious! What I really hope is that it's not something like dairy, but it seems weird that it would happen after a whole month.
The other thing I have noticed which makes me suspicious of some sort of food intolerance is that I have a little bit of acne again. Typically if I get breakouts it's premenstrual and hormone related. My acne totally cleared up since going Keto, but the last few days I have had a pimple here and there.
I am 34 days into Keto, so my body is still adapting to this WOE, so probably I should just KCKO.

Replies

• HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This can also happen if you are low on magnesium and calcium. Just something else to think about when you are looking at your eating patterns.
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's the other thing I was pondering. It's either something that is causing inflammation or some micronutrient that I'm missing.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    B vitamins are nerve related, if you don't take a good B-Complex, too. Particularly if you take Metformin, antacids, birth control pills, or anything like that which can interfere with vitamin absorption.
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    B vitamins are nerve related, if you don't take a good B-Complex, too. Particularly if you take Metformin, antacids, birth control pills, or anything like that which can interfere with vitamin absorption.

I take Metformin. The only B vitamin I take is folate as we are TTC. I will look into a B complex.

I have been taking CoQ10, magnesium, and Vit D as well.
  • GlitterRayne
    GlitterRayne Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Was wondering about this. Finding that my hands are tingling when I do things like knit or hold a coffee cup for too long. Only started within the past couple weeks.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott Does brand name glucophage interfere with Vitamin B12 absorption the same way generic Metformin does?

@BT_rescuemom - Look for a formula that has the more absorbably forms. Anything with a d- before it means it is a synthetic form. I like Jarrow brand B-Right formula. You want a "Super" or "Super Plus" formula most of the time, as the straight up B-Complex doesn't even have all the B's in it.

I didn't even know about the B-12 issue until I developed some neuropathy in my left hand. When I finally had it tested, my level was below the "possible nerve damage" level. From what I understand, the acceptable lab values of B12 commonly allow for too low results, my understanding was that for therapeutic ranges, anything under 500 was worrisome.

That being said, another good source of B's is Nutritional Yeast. I've heard not all brands are created equally, but I love the Braggs one. I add it atop sharp cheeses, but it is often used as a vegetarian or vegan substitute FOR cheese in many recipes. It does take some getting used to, but it accents flavors nicely!

@GlitterRayne I would definitely look into this... I actually had to go to using magnetic pain management bracelets and do exercises to continue knitting - and crocheting is far harder on me... I'd also look into any medications or supplements for diabetic support - many types are available for natural blood glucose management - but not all are created equally - and can create blood sugar lows...
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    My hands started tingling when I upped my dose of potassium to two a day. When I read about that side effect I cut back to one a day and the tingling stopped.
    When my legs started tingling and feeling creepy crawly at night, I took Magnesium and now that is better.
    In the summer I drank so much more fluids during a heat wave that i started blacking out - 3 times one week! Turns out I needed to increase my salt intake to offset the added fluids.
    Often it's about the electrolytes! I've learned to check there first when issues come up.
  • EmmieLee1982
    EmmieLee1982 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. My hands have started tingling in the past week or so when I hold them out or up for too long (driving, holding a coffee cup). I was getting very worried! I'm going to try upping my magnesium and see if that does the trick.
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    My hands feel better today. No more crampy/aches/tingly feeling. Thanks for all the advice.

I do notice the crawly legs when I forget my magnesium at night. Certainly that needs to be a priority for me.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @RalfLott Does brand name glucophage interfere with Vitamin B12 absorption the same way generic Metformin does?

@BT_rescuemom - Look for a formula that has the more absorbably forms. Anything with a d- before it means it is a synthetic form. I like Jarrow brand B-Right formula. You want a "Super" or "Super Plus" formula most of the time, as the straight up B-Complex doesn't even have all the B's in it.

I didn't even know about the B-12 issue until I developed some neuropathy in my left hand. When I finally had it tested, my level was below the "possible nerve damage" level. From what I understand, the acceptable lab values of B12 commonly allow for too low results, my understanding was that for therapeutic ranges, anything under 500 was worrisome.

That being said, another good source of B's is Nutritional Yeast. I've heard not all brands are created equally, but I love the Braggs one. I add it atop sharp cheeses, but it is often used as a vegetarian or vegan substitute FOR cheese in many recipes. It does take some getting used to, but it accents flavors nicely!

@GlitterRayne I would definitely look into this... I actually had to go to using magnetic pain management bracelets and do exercises to continue knitting - and crocheting is far harder on me... I'd also look into any medications or supplements for diabetic support - many types are available for natural blood glucose management - but not all are created equally - and can create blood sugar lows...

Howdy, @KnitOrMiss.

According to Dr. Bernstein, B12 depletion, while mentioned in the FDA product info, is not especially common and may be higher in people with absorption issues (perhaps the same folks who require shots of B12?).

However, I'm not aware of any downside to B12 supplements, and they're cheap - so I take two sublingual B12 tabs daily. That's been enough in my case to maintain B12 levels on the higher end of the "standard" range.

BTW, I'm going to try to find out what inactive ingredients are in name-brand Glucophage (Bristol-Myers-Squibb), compare them to the fillers in the various metformin generics (of which there are around 20 on the FDA's list), and see if there are significant differences that might explain the torrential differences in, er, "flow-rate."