Interesting meal comparison

Options
MKknits
MKknits Posts: 184 Member
edited November 2016 in Social Groups
This is the food I packed for school tomorrow (7:15-3:15) - it's pretty egg heavy but I think it will satisfy me. One container has 3 scrambled eggs with 1/4 cup sausage and 1 cup spinach cooked in 1/2 tsp butter topped with 1 oz feta, 3 deviled eggs (pink topped square container), 2 mini kosher pickles (other pink topped square container, a container with 5 olives, a container with 1oz macadamia nuts, the red topped tupperware has 30 grams nitrate free pepperoni, and 1 oz of cheese. I packed the nuts and olives as back-up. This will be my lunch and if needed a few small snacks, my breakfast will actually probably be coffee with cream and stevia again (that worked well today and I felt good).
uavb5g5ov28b.png

This is the food I packed (same lunch bag) in April when I was doing WW (just before I flunked out of it because I was fed up with not meeting all of the "rules" and I found it to be a place hard to find support when you can only do online) for the same time span. I can't even tell you exactly what is there - but I can tell you that one of my frustrations was that I never found the "magic combination" to keep me from feeling insatiably hungry at the end of the day. This bag of food did not contain my breakfast either.
pd4imdt586wt.png

The difference is amazing to me.

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    It is kind of funny. For me one of the hardest parts of changing to this WOE was getting used to being satisfied with a much smaller amount of food in terms of volume. And if you are like me and love eggs, which based on what you packed, you might be, it is much cheaper to eat this way. I can't imagine getting tired of eggs - hard boiled, soft boiled, poached, fried, scrambled with HWC, as egg wash to bread meat with pork rinds, etc.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Wow! That WW meal pic is a lot of food! I never did WW but I'm sure I was eating a lot just like that before.
    It really is a huge difference! I'm glad you've found you can eat great food and be free from hunger. It's truly liberating to not have to be so controlled by food
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Holy, I was thinking your present day lunch was honkin' huge.... until the second picture loaded!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    That's quite a difference. I can see why volume eaters don't enjoy LCHF as much. LOL
  • MKknits
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @canadjineh some of that is back up. I'm still adjusting because I just started this week so to keep myself from failing I always bring a few extra snacks in case I get hungry or if there is a meeting I have to go to with candy (there is always candy at our teacher meetings).

@nvmomketo the crazy thing is that even with that volume of food (and there was more that didn't make up my breakfast which was usually an egg and low fat cheese on a sandwich thin, or supper and after supper snacks) I wasn't satisfied and would often find myself feeling like I was eating out of control at the end of the day because I was super hungry. WW is very much so low fat and I am thinking that was my issue. Eating higher fat now I feel far more satisfied (and already even in week 1 a lot of the stomach issues I had on WW are going away). What I've packed for today is only missing my coffee this morning, and supper tonight (which was prepped over the weekend so I know it is a bone in pork chop, 85 grams of steamed broccoli, and 1/2 tbsp of kerrygold butter). So the total volume of my food for my entire day (minus drinks) would probably easily fit in my lunch bag. Calorie wise though it's probably pretty close to the same calorie intake - being 100+ overweight even to lose weight my calorie intake is still pretty high.
  • kennygang
    kennygang Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have done WW many times in the past until I found this woe and I agree. they encourage to eat every 3-4 hours to keep metabolism steady but I felt like all I did was eat. The food was not even satisfying to me. Everything that tasted good was to high point value. When I am on track with this WOE I can't believe how much less I eat and not feel hungry. It takes a bit getting use to but I am so happy I did.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm a volume eater and I do slightly better with LCHF. I still get hungry and have cravings, but they are not quite as bad (subjectively). Eggs are one of the better foods for me, but it makes a difference how they are cooked. I can eat 2-3 times as many eggs scrambled as boiled for the same satiety.

I really like the OS Trim stick in your WW photo. Those are excellent sources of protein, I find. As I get close to goal, that is part of my challenge - getting enough protein without exceeding calories (even when eating low carb). A lot of meats have too high of a protein:calorie (too low of protein:fat) ratio in order to both get enough protein without exceeding calories. But since my protein goal is grams, it is easier to reach on exercise days where I can eat more calories. I've been planning to increase eggs to deal with this, though.

TL;DR - Eggs are great - good job!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I did the old WW points system, and I did it high fat/protein, low carb - the higher fat stuff is higher points, but you also eat less of it. However, the teachers do totally push everything low fat and high carb, which is kind of sad since the system isn't really designed to have to be HCLF as far as I can tell, it's really designed to balance it out.

That was 12ish years ago, so not sure what is going on with their system now, but their points used to be a formula that amounted to calorie counting and it doesn't appear to be that way any more...

Calories/50 + fat/4 + fiber/5 = WW points

I actually enjoyed WW, I lost 15 lbs in 6 months, got my lifetime membership, and kept it off for years until I started lifting weights - if they had a better system for taking body fat and not just weight into account I would have stuck with it forever, but I wasn't going to pay to go to meetings when I knew I was getting thinner even though the scale was going up...WW made calorie counting easy, I had a bracelet with moving charms, and I could look at a label and do the math in my head or for most foods I already knew how many points they were...but, I did ignore the teachers on the high-carb part, I already knew that wasn't going to work for me...MFP is just as easy, as long as you have access to a phone or computer and internet, you can do it from anywhere!
  • MKknits
    Options
    @tcunbeliever I think the issue with WW is that it is very much so set up to "play the points" for some folks - they want to eat as much as possible with their points. They did change their points the new system takes into account fat, fiber, sugar and carbohydrates - you don't even enter calories anymore (if I remember right from my counter) bI think their hope was they would push people to eat more real food and less low fat diet food (for example the 100 calorie packs went from being 2 points to 4 or 5). The new system does encourage less packaged foods which is good - BUT what I really struggled with was the overall lack of support when doing online only and some of the judgement that seemed to be part of that "oh you eat hummus that is so high in points I would never eat it so I can have cookies at night instead". Plus there wasn't enough education in their online version to help me figure out why I was ravenously hungry most of the time - just eat more fiber, eat more protein - which wasn't helping.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    My wife did WW 2x. Both times she stopped early because she got pregnant - the first was a miscarriage, the second was our only daughter. After the complications and the doc saying we should not have any more, we decided WW was a bad idea. Apparently for us, it caused pregnancy. :D
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't think WW lists that as a potential side effect!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Good point. If they failed to warn you, then you should sue them for sure. :D
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Lol, I packed four squares of cheese for a bfast on the run yesterday. I ate two (about an ounce) and was totally satisfied. An hour later I ate the other two. A lot of LCHF is eating to satisfation not "norms" or stuffed. And also not eating when youre thirsty or bored. Those are big for me.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Ps it was a local smoked full fat big flavor gouda. Sooo good!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    @MKknits I packed that much for a day my first couple weeks on keto too. I needed to be prepared so I wouldn't go off plan. Now? I can go all day with just some salami and cheese or a bit of leftovers. I am gone from home for 14 hours and take one meal, no snacks and my BPC.
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I did WW in the past and lost 40 pounds. I was starving all the time. I did it through sheer willpower. I just thought you were supposed to be that hungry all the time. I have put back on 10 pounds over the past 8 years and I am so happy to find this woe. The longer I am eating this way, the less I find I need to eat, and the less often I need to eat. I am still trying to undo years of between meal snacking habits, but it is getting easier and easier. BPC is now my breakfast, and how yummy and easy it is! I never drank coffee before. I never knew it could taste so good with CO, cocoa butter, or HWC...yum. Now I can wait until lunch to eat. The food tastes sooo much better, I don't starve, and I actually enjoy food again. I also wanted to eat this way to help a rare vascular condition that can be auto immune. It really seems to help too...woo hoo!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Ps it was a local smoked full fat big flavor gouda. Sooo good!

Grass Roots Dairy near my place does grass fed Jersey milk raw gouda with all sorts of spice mixes (peppercorn; cumin; etc) or smoked. I buy the extra aged as it is crumbly and greasy, lol, and OH SO DEEEELICIOUS! It costs a fortune though :'(
  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What is WOE, BPC, CO, and HWC. Bit hard for me to understand what is being said. I'm an Aussie.....
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Way of eating
    Bullet proof coffee (coffee with a high fat content)
    Coconut oil (often in BPC)
    heavy whipping cream (like double cream)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    bininj wrote: »
    What is WOE, BPC, CO, and HWC. Bit hard for me to understand what is being said. I'm an Aussie.....

Launch Pad item. A Low-Carb jargon glossary: :wink:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10081444/glossary-of-terms-abbreviations-and-acronyms?new=1