Supplements & Protein drinks

Options
Hi Everyone,

I started on the stronglifts 5 x 5 program a few weeks ago and really enjoying it. I am managing the weight increase on each exercise and also eating my calories each day and have been hitting my 40/40/20 target or very close each day the last week. I purchased a weight loss bundle online because as well as getting stronger I want to burn fat and lose weight. At the moment I have around 140lbs to lose. The weight loss bundle contained a Diet Impact Whey powder, Thermopure, CLA, Omega and a multivitamin. The Thermopure I take 3 before my workout so that's Monday, Wednesday and Friday on Stronglifts. The CLA is 2 with each of my 3 daily meals. The Omega is 1 with each of my daily meals and the multivitamin is 1 a day. I also take 2 Raspberry Ketone tablets each day so I'm developing a rattle. I have a couple of questions.

Do these supplements make any difference. Are they required. Has anyone had any success with them or can anyone recommend anything. I'm not a great believer in supplements generally but these came as part of a bundle so I'm using them. Last week my weight maintained which isn't ideal.

Secondly should I be taking my Protein shakes and Thermopure tablets on non training days. On non training days I tend to reduce calories slightly to compensate for not burning as many.

Cheers

Kenny

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    No supplements are required for fat loss. I'm wary of paid programs that sell supplements. The way to fat loss is free-small deficit (when your metabolism is healthy enough to do so), log accurately, lift weights for muscle retention & cardio for health/fun.
    That said, I do supplement with Whey protein so I can hit my protein macro. I could get it in with some other food source but it's quick & convenient & I like it. I lift 4x a week and hit my same protein macro every day, including rest days.
    A multivitamin is good to make sure you are getting all your vitamins & minerals. Omega oils are very good for health. CLA, no idea but if your nutrition is good you probably get enough already. Thermopure is a fat burner & im pretty sure they are all a waste of money. Plus, if you are sensitive to stimulants like caffeine, you may want to avoid it. I drink coffee pre-workout.
    I understand that these supplements came with your bundle and you didn't seek them out. I don't believe that results come from supplements but from consistently putting in the work of diet and exercise until it becomes the norm.
    I hope the moderators of this group don't mind me chiming in here! Good luck, and SL 5x5 is a great program. It's what I started with
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think supplements that are touted to help in a "diet" are complete and utter bull$#!+ Its like saying that you need a detox in order to rid your body of toxins.. Well if you have a healthy functioning liver/kidneys then your body is already "detoxing".. Its stuff like that, that prey on the innocent, the desperate and the willing, where they made oodles of money, and you lose your money and nothing else.

The multivitamin and the omegas might be the only things worth taking. Raspberry ketones have been debunked as complete crap.

The thing that sticks out to me is that you purchased a weight loss bundle. Why? What are you hoping to accomplish with this bundle thing?
    You were well on your way to slowly inching your calories up to TDEE and getting your macros in line. From above, I see you have dropped your protein to 20%.. why? Also, you have dropped your cals on non training days.. Again, why? TDEE is the average amount per day which includes your weekly exercise. By lowering the calos on non workout days, you are not actually hitting your TDEE. (Say TDEE is 2000, but 3x a week you are choosing to eat 1800.. therefore you are short 600 cals each week trying to reach tdee. That hinders your actual progress by not fueling properly.

From what I see here, and from your previous Posts Kenny, you arent quite ready to make the commitment to the EM2WL lifestyle, which is 100% ok. A lot of people take a while to truly understand what they are looking for and what they are willing to be patient for.
    When you are 100% ready to focus on getting your cals up to TDEE and stop trying to look for outside "quick fixes" then things will fall into place for you and things will make sense. In the meantime, try to focus on getting your cals up where they need to be, and concentrate on getting that protein in. THAT will be the thing to help you lose fat, not the "diet supplements"

If you need any extra help or support, you know we are here. Also please remember our metabolism reset guide, which will help you navigate all of the things you need to know and do when trying to heal your metabolism.
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @Sumiblue you said everything so well.
    We seriously don't mind you chiming in, in fact we positively encourage it!
    Look how much knowledge you have that you are able to pass onto others to help them ❤️
    Kenny, we were where you are.
    We know how impatient you get with just wanting this weight off now. But these weight loss products are not a sustainable answer.
    Your current goals are not compatible. You want to get stronger, but lose weight and lose fat? These are different phases and I thought you were trying to reach TDEE?
    You were doing so well increasing to TDEE. This phase in your life is not about fat loss, it's about repairing previous damage done. There is a lot of healing both physical and mental to go through.
    So many people here will get you and support you.
    Look at the great advice that @Sumiblue gave you.
    You don't need the gimmicks and the quick fixes. We are here to help you with a long term doable sustainable lifetime solution.
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • brileylmt
    brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your thoughts @LastChanceKY. I have taken just about every "diet" pill or drink on the market. I have taken the raspberry ketones. NOTHING did a spitting bit of good. It was just a way to take my money and lower my self esteem. They kept telling me I needed to purchase another round and when I did, nothing happened. In the beginning of 2015 I lost 20 pounds and 20 inches. Over the last year it has came back even when I was eating less than 1400 cal a day. I want so much to lose the weight that I have gained back over the last year.

I have increased to TDEE (2000 cal a day)and I try very hard to follow what everyone here is telling me. It is very hard. The best thing I did was take more measurements. I don't keep stock in what my scale is telling me. I have lost 1/2 an inch total in the last 75 or so days and gained 7 pounds BUT my body fat percentage has gone down by 5% and that measurement was taken after I had been following their advice for a month.

Blind faith is the best thing to follow and the hardest thing to do. Read and re-read all the articles that they offer. Take notes, ask questions and then read the articles again. This is very hard to do. You just want the weight off. I still look like I am 7-8 months pregnant and my little one is 3 almost 4 years old. I will get there and this time I will stay at that healthy state. You will also, it takes time and blind faith. I eat my 2000 calories a day and lift heavy as I can. I have been that doubting Thomas and tried to cut corners only to end up back to this point--Do I learn to eat healthy and exercise to build muscle or do I allow my unhealthy habits to continue and my body destroys itself from within. Do I take in more chemicals that my body doesn't know what do with or do I eat healthy nutrients that my body craves to create a beautiful and healthy body.

You can do this Kenny, you can be the person your body wants you to be.