More on the internal dialogue

Options
girlwithcurls2
girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
I need your help, swimmers. I have a weak kick. I know this. I can feel it. I have strong legs, but my front crawl kick is painfully slow. Me on a kickboard is almost ridiculous (although I do it because I probably need it). My question is this: I use the short fins at times, I also use a kickboard (without fins). What kind of internal dialogue can I use when swimming to remind my legs to engage. I have tried telling myself, "From the hip" or "strong legs," but frankly, I can't seem to engage my legs for very long. I know that some of you come away with really tired legs. I often do, but not after every swim.

Help?

Replies

• aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Surprisingly, the strength and efficiency of your kick do not come just from your legs. A strong core and ankle flexibility are also important. When you use the kick board make sure you keep your core engaged (this also helps with your hip position).

As for your ankle strength, make sure your foot position is correct (youtube can help you here). There are easy dry land exercises you can do for ankle strength/flexibility

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    How is your kick timing?

I've always had a pretty powerful kick, but when a lifeguard pointed out that I had an inconsistent kick rhythm, I was able to make it even MORE powerful.

Inner dialog suggestion: try something simple like counting your kick with your arm pull: Depending on whether you use a 2- 4- or 6- count kick-to-pull stroke, you might just start with something like" ONE two three FOUR five six" if you use a 6-count or "ONE two THREE four" if you use a four count to remind yourself to keep an even kick rhythm synched with your arm pulls. (see http://www.usms.org/articles/articledisplay.php?aid=3061)

And yes on core engagement.
    Try a kickboard set of alternating lengths of dolphin (butterfly) kick down the pool and flutter (freestyle) kick back. The dolphin will help strengthen your core, and also get your kick engaged with your core. I do a regular set of 10 laps dolphin down and flutter back, paying attention to that feeling of core engagement on the dolphin kick and trying to maintain it on my flutter back.

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I've stuck with a 2-beat kick ever since I tried it. When I started swimming, I was kicking like a pack of piranhas were after me. My kick was soooo fast. I really like the 2-beat, but I just don't feel like it's strong. Then again, I'm down to only 2 days of lap swimming per week, so that's not really a lot for practice. I know that my core is strong-the water cardio instructors make sure of that. But I do need to pay attention when I am swimming to really engage my core. Thanks @rosebarnalice :)
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    For inner dialog, my friend has a consistent stroke, but has been working with kick. He uses a waterproof bluetooth headset and has it play songs he syncs his kicking to. It's a pain to setup, but his times have improved exponentially.