Fats question

Options
MKknits
MKknits Posts: 184 Member
I've been reading up on MCT oil and want to be sure I understand it. Is it basically a more processed coconut oil with the beneficial fats concentrated? I know I don't have to use MCT oil but I'm just wondering if it is useful. For now I'm just adding olive oil and using grass fed butter to up fat in meals. So I'm just curious for those of you who use MCT if you've found it helpful.

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    MCT oil has only the medium chain fatty acids - here's an easy explanation....
    https://blog.bulletproof.com/what-is-mct-oil-vs-coconut-oil/

MCT is strictly C-8 and C-10 - the effective compounds Caprylic acid and Capric acid.
    C-6 causes burning and gastric distress, C-12 must be processed in the liver first.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I use it as an energy boost, as a balance when eating more carbs, and as a good fuel source. The MCT's I've had have also had Lauric acid, just in lower concentrations than in coconut oil. It is useful for some people, but can cause gastro distress, so start slowly.

Many folks use it in Fatty Coffee to get a good boost, or after meals to prevent food slump, or for ADD treatment, etc.