BMI overweight not obese! Magic motivation tips?

Options
solska
solska Posts: 348 Member
I was happy yesterday to see 203.1 which for me is skipping into the overweight range of BMI. Yet, I was hit with a little worry right after.

The last 7-8 years my weight has fluctuated mostly between 206-216. I have seen up to 219 on a couple of occasions on very bloated days.

A few times I got down to 201, but this is always the point where life gets busy and I stop paying attention. Thinking of this worried me as after a few weeks now I'm again sick of logging. I have to continue now. I hope to see below 198.4 (89.9 kgs, so under 200 pounds and 90kgs) very soon, symbolic but 40th bd is coming up.

I was around 160 pounds the entire time between my teenage years up to 32 with a BMI of around 24. And I thought I needed to lose a lot of weight then, and only once in about a month lost about Then I put on 25 pounds in one year and another 25 the next year for various reasons, steroids, quitting smoking, quitting exercise due to injuries, tumors... and been over 200 since past 33. I cannot wait to get back to 160 and then less. My goal is 139. Since that seems far away, I try to think now goals in between. 198, 188, 178, 168 and so on.

I'm trying not to be disheartened and seeing successful stories here helps. I wanted to do this faster, it's not happening that way. I'm trying to figure out how I can keep a resolve for a longer time. Any magic tips?

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Just like you said... don't look at the big picture, aim for the little goals and celebrate them when you hit each one (NOT with food though).
    Join us on No nonsense November thread and make a definable goal your aim for this month. Continued logging for this whole week
    or getting all your water in
    or under a certain # of carb grams
    or whatever,
    as long as it is within your actual power. It shouldn't be a weight related goal as such, as you really have no day to day control over that, but it should be something you can choose to control that you know will bring you closer to your weight goals.
    Hang on and take a look through the NSV threads to maybe focus on some other sort of health benefit or new smaller clothing size or....
    <3
  • solska
    Options
    Thank you so much for the positive perspective. Very welcome. I joined the November thread. I'll come back to this thread if I start falling off the wagon.
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Just like you said... don't look at the big picture, aim for the little goals and celebrate them when you hit each one (NOT with food though).
    Join us on No nonsense November thread and make a definable goal your aim for this month. Continued logging for this whole week
    or getting all your water in
    or under a certain # of carb grams
    or whatever,
    as long as it is within your actual power. It shouldn't be a weight related goal as such, as you really have no day to day control over that, but it should be something you can choose to control that you know will bring you closer to your weight goals.
    Hang on and take a look through the NSV threads to maybe focus on some other sort of health benefit or new smaller clothing size or....
    <3

• solska
    Options
    Thank you, thank you so much! This fills me with hope.
    kpk54 wrote: »
    My magic motivation tip?
    Don't quit.
    I was 203 on May 19, 2013.
    I was 140 on May 25, 2014.
    It wasn't easy.
    It wasn't fun.
    It was worth it though.
    The magic is in not quitting.
    What do you want more?
    Another year in the 200s or
    A year working your way to goal?

When you want to quit remember why you started.

• solska
    Options
    I will do this. Thanks for the idea. I was going to put pics on the fridge etc. but then thought it was lame. But this is such a good idea!
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @solska : The "magic tip" you asked for is inside your mind. Do you want to change or do you want to remain "as is"? It is your choice and I know you can do it. <3
  • solska
    Options
    Thank you supergal3! I will believe it more once a few more pounds are gone and I see below 200 lbs and below 90kgs for the first time in more than seven years. And then I will take it ten pounds at a time till I see 139.
    supergal3 wrote: »
    @solska : The "magic tip" you asked for is inside your mind. Do you want to change or do you want to remain "as is"? It is your choice and I know you can do it. <3

• solska
    Options
    -- I'm finding that reading the posts on this forum and responding when I can is actually really helping me get motivated. I discovered this forum only about a week ago or so. Before that whenever I looked at the main forum or asked anything I got really demoralized. Wish I discovered here earlier but glad that I finally did.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    This forum really is a gem for that. I find checking in here, and finding new LCHF books or blogs to read, really helps me stay focused.

Sounds like you found your motivation. :);)
  • solska
    Options
    Yes!
    The only issue being I might be spending too much time when I wish to procrastinate from doing work:) I'm an academic so work solo and really need to self discipline work time.
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    This forum really is a gem for that. I find checking in here, and finding new LCHF books or blogs to read, really helps me stay focused.

Sounds like you found your motivation. :);)