The Heat Must Be Getting to Me

Options
I swear almost every post I've read on the regular boards today had someone being rude or telling people that clean eating is a myth and it's ok to go ahead and have that candy bar or to eat at McDonald's.

I know there are different ways to lose weight and everyone has to do what works for them but to say clean eating is a myth and that McDonald's is okay is just a lie.

For me the benefits of clean eating far outweigh the desire for any junk or processed foods. I want everyone to feel better and be healthy and the candy bar and McDonald's isn't the way to go about it.

Maybe I just need to log off and head to bed. Maybe tomorrow I won't be so irritable and the posts will seem much friendlier than I'm reading them tonite.

Replies

• wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Disengage. Frankly, I can't be bothered with the debate any more. I know what I eat and why. Good enough for me. I don't HURT 24/7 any more. Anecdotal? Yep. But it is MY anecdote.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    McDonalds is okay. For one, they have more than burgers. Two, a burger every once in awhile won't hurt you.

Nothing wrong with a candy bar either.

If people can be fit and healthy while indulging in fast food every once in awhile, so be it.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    oh its getting to me
    brutal humidex here
    living in the pool.
  • ladylaume
    ladylaume Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Just remember Its not what you eat some of the time It is what you eat most of the time.

Don't feel bad if you have that candy bar or fast food Because if your not eating them everyday they will not hurt you. Don't beat your self up over it and those people who are so Crazy about it and you should feel guilty need to live a little!
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    I am not one of those people who can indulge just a little bit. I start thinking its okay to eat McDonald's or it's okay to have a candy bar from time to time, I will be right back to where I started. I know some people can do it - good for them, but I am not one of them.

Besides after beinig off refined sugar for so many months I am sure an M and M might just put me in a sugar coma.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I am not one of those people who can indulge just a little bit. I start thinking its okay to eat McDonald's or it's okay to have a candy bar from time to time, I will be right back to where I started. I know some people can do it - good for them, but I am not one of them.

Besides after beinig off refined sugar for so many months I am sure an M and M might just put me in a sugar coma.

See, that's fine. It's when you project your own weakness' onto what others should do is when I have a problem. Put it this way, one my friends is a long dist runner. He can/and does eat all types of fast food crap and still doesn't go over his calorie limit. I'm sort of jealous but at the same time, that's HIM and not me. I can't have nearly as much junk food but that's me. I won't demonize anyone that can eat whatever as long as their blood/urine/weight/strength/bodyfat are all okay
  • wideeyedla
    Options

See, that's fine. It's when you project your own weakness' onto what others should do is when I have a problem. Put it this way, one my friends is a long dist runner. He can/and does eat all types of fast food crap and still doesn't go over his calorie limit. I'm sort of jealous but at the same time, that's HIM and not me. I can't have nearly as much junk food but that's me. I won't demonize anyone that can eat whatever as long as their blood/urine/weight/strength/bodyfat are all okay

I have YET to see a "clean" eater demonize someone else for their choices. I have seen them be critical of food, but that's because of how it is prepared and how much added stuff is in it that doesn't need to be there.

I also don't know a SINGLE person who is an avowed clean eater who eats clean 100%, and most of us freely admit to that.

I don't tell other people how to eat. It's not my business. But obviously a few of us here came to the boards right after a massive cult-like indoctrination attempt by either the Paleo/Primal/Vegan people based on the responses posts get. So I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to leave MY food choices alone, rather than telling me I'm unreasonable and it's unsustainable. It had better be sustainable. It's the ONLY thing that is helping with the fibromyalgia and other neurological crap I'm trying to make go away.

Sorry. Don't mean to jump on you specifically, but I'm just tired of the assumption that those of us who have made this choice are depriving ourselves of real food and therefore are on an unsustainable program. On Saturdays, I allow myself to eat whatever I''d like. It's not an all or nothing game for most of us, but an attempt to be more conscious and healthy in our food choices. If it works for those of us who have issues with things like sugar and flour because we CANNOT eat them in moderation, there shouldn't be a judgment from the IIFYM folks either. I can't drink booze. I'm an alcoholic, in recovery for 20 years. Does that mean I'm depriving myself? No. It means I'm living :)

I feel like singing "Why Can't We Be Friends," but think that "Gotta Keep 'Em Separated' is more appropriate.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Thank you Wideeyedla that's kind of my point.

I really don't care how others eat but I just hate seeing people promote McDonald's and Oreos, etc. Just because that person can eat it and not have a problem that everyone can.

And I agree clean eating had better be sustainable - I've been at it 4 months now and feel great. No more acid reflux, no more aches and pains (except after a workout), no more IBS.

I don't care if I ever eat another Oreo or ever give McDonald's another dime of my money. I like how I feel the way I'm eating.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • wideeyedla
    Options
    The impact of poor quality food may have a cumulative affect that could be more broad than merely weight. I suggest this debate be iced for couple of decades--then we all can compare notes. Who is taking what pharmaceuticals to manage which diseases? Who has ambulatory limitations? Who has still has mental clarity?

Maybe one day we will be able to get a handle on how clean a diet needs to be for any one person. Maybe one day we can agree what "clean" means. Maybe one day we can stop posturing and instead simple share our own experiences, thereby accumulating enough empirical data to be useful.

This is what I take DAILY to "manage" my condition:
    Topomax 10 mg
    Cymbalta 30 mg
    Clonapen 2 mg

Pre Paleo, I was generally ALSO taking 4 Aleve a day, and sometimes a Vicodin (when I was lying on the couch at the end of the day in tears). On migraine days, add 40 mg of Maxalt, and occasionally nasal spray toradol.

I haven't taken Aleve except for two migraines in the last month. Same with the Vicodin., Maxalt and toradol. Because I'm tracking my food, I learned that bananas trigger migraines. None since. No more daily headache. No more knotted neck.

At the next Neuro visit, I am going off the topomax.

IBS symptoms, gone.

Do I eat clean? VERY. Do I have a huge ice cream once a week? Yes.

Do I care what anyone else chooses to eat? Not really. My husband and kids eat the same main course I make, but they eat grains.

My biggest problem eating this way, even though 50% of my diet comes from "good" fat. I have a hard time eating 1200 calories. I am not hungry. When I do get hungry, I eat.

Now, clearly, my case is both special and anecdotal. But I would much rather eat my way back to health (even if I don't lose weight rapidly) then continue to add prescription meds with serious side effects.

Everyone's body is different. Hormonal imbalances, insulin resistance, Metabolic X syndrome, and certain neurological disorders respond better to low carb/high fat diets. Atkins is grand, until you realize that all of the products are soy based (phytoestrogens - not so good for people with hormonal imbalance issues) and sucralose (implicated not as much as aspartame, but still implicated as a potential neurotoxin).

So, Yes, some of us do the research. Some of us are not making sweeping and grandiose statements. For some of us food IS good (medicine) or bad (poison). I'm just tired of people insisting that there is ONE right way for everyone, and that calories in - calories out is the only truth.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

I have YET to see a "clean" eater demonize someone else for their choices. I have seen them be critical of food, but that's because of how it is prepared and how much added stuff is in it that doesn't need to be there.

I also don't know a SINGLE person who is an avowed clean eater who eats clean 100%, and most of us freely admit to that.

I don't tell other people how to eat. It's not my business. But obviously a few of us here came to the boards right after a massive cult-like indoctrination attempt by either the Paleo/Primal/Vegan people based on the responses posts get. So I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to leave MY food choices alone, rather than telling me I'm unreasonable and it's unsustainable. It had better be sustainable. It's the ONLY thing that is helping with the fibromyalgia and other neurological crap I'm trying to make go away.

Sorry. Don't mean to jump on you specifically, but I'm just tired of the assumption that those of us who have made this choice are depriving ourselves of real food and therefore are on an unsustainable program. On Saturdays, I allow myself to eat whatever I''d like. It's not an all or nothing game for most of us, but an attempt to be more conscious and healthy in our food choices. If it works for those of us who have issues with things like sugar and flour because we CANNOT eat them in moderation, there shouldn't be a judgment from the IIFYM folks either. I can't drink booze. I'm an alcoholic, in recovery for 20 years. Does that mean I'm depriving myself? No. It means I'm living :)

I feel like singing "Why Can't We Be Friends," but think that "Gotta Keep 'Em Separated' is more appropriate.

The first post in this thread assumed people that eat McDonalds is "not okay". The threads in the main forums she references have references of clean eaters demonizing those that don't eat comptely clean. Statements like "you'll get cancer, you'll die etc.." Not that anyone HERE has said that. But the OP referenced the main forums so that brought all of those people into the discussion.

I agree with your approach.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Yes! There is no one-size-fits all. Thank you.

"Eating [and sleeping and hydrating] a way back to health" is my foundational step too. Although I have avoided the surgery and pharma others in my family have used to deal with issues, I am for the time being supplementing to prevent and deal with affects of inflammation. This is not too many steps away from pharma, and I look forward to the day I shelved most of them.
    :smile:
  • wideeyedla
    Options
    Turmeric is our friend ;)