How to keep energy during workout

Options
graysmom2005
graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
My body loves low carb. It just does. LOL! So the past couple of weeks I have cut back to 50 or less a day, and for the first time in months I am dropping weight and leaning out. My issue has been some of my workouts. I work at/love to take classes from Orangetheory. There is always running, rowing, and weight training. Yesterday my legs were like LEAD. How can I keep low carb, but have enough energy for killer workouts?

Replies

• 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I bet folks in the Ketogains community (Facebook & Reddit) have tons of experience to share on this. I'm 3 weeks in w/keto so focusing on nutrition for now--but am definitely wondering how keto will impact resistance training.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You just have to stick it out until you're more adapted.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Agreed with Sunny. It takes some time to become fully adapted to it. (Like a few weeks...)

Are you working out fasted or do you eat anything before? If not, you could try adding some of your calories to 30min before your workout.

You could also try targeting the carbs you do eat to around that time.
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Are you lagging in intensity or endurance? Keto is less adapted towards short bursts of intense exercise (HIIT, sprints, powerlifting, etc.) from stored fats being a less immediate fuel source vs. carbohydrates. Barriers to overcome this have mainly focused on using MCTs pre-workout for an immediate fat source...it's worth a try. Another option would be to just adapt more towards endurance/volume exercise routines with limited bouts of intense activities.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    As VKetoV mentioned, doing intense exercise - especially if it IS a longer workout (or multiple exercises) can be difficult on keto - even if fully keto-adapted.

When I do HIIT or want to do some heavy lifting, I ensure my most carb-heavy meal of the day is my pre-workout meal. I will typically have up to half of my carbohydrate for the day in my pre-workout meal for those days, and I find it helps my intensity immensely. Then post-workout I enjoy a LCHF protein shake - usually with a good, pure whey isolate, some heavy (36% milkfat) cream, a couple frozen berries, and a little water.