Options
2»

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    can111 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your kind remarks!

I joined this group because I was amazed at the UNkind remarks in the general community toward low carb people. You know the comments I'm talking about!

I have a desire to eliminate white sugar and white flour. This is working for me. I found, even though some (most?) people can successfully eat SOME sugar, I cannot. Any sugar I eat just opens up a flood gate of sugar cravings for me. I never understand those people in my office that can have a candy jar on their desk. What are they super-human? I have found that some people can stop at 1. (I still think they are aliens).

I am still trying to discover if my sugar obsession is limited to refined white sugar. I would like to continue to eat fructose. If not, well I will be joining you on your low low carb method.

(I have had very little problem eliminating flour, especially since I discovered that veginator and make zucchini "pasta".)

Not one thing works for all .... that is for sure!

Have a rockin day everyone!

chris

If stopping after one piece of candy is an issue for you, I would suggest cutting out sweets. The reason being is once you have gone a bit without any (might just be a week or might be a couple months), you will notice everything tastes different. Things you didn't think were sweet (i.e. celery, pecans, etc) actually do taste sweet. Things that have been sweetened don't taste good.

One of my co-workers here was just diagnosed as pre-diabetic and knew how I had gotten my BG under control, so she has cut all sugar and other refined carbs from her diet for the last couple of weeks. She came in my office this morning and told me she took a sip of her cousin's Coke and just about spit it out because it tasted like syrup. She had been a consumer of Count Chocula every morning and Coke all day long.

The diagnosis scared her because she is only in her mid 20's.

BTW, she also told me how she likes the way her pants are fitting now and she has so much more energy.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    can111 wrote: »
    I've joined this group because I am interested in eliminating white sugar and white flour from my life. Now I've browsed through some posts and am astounded by the low carb goal that some of you reach for.

I've looked at my 2 recent days, which i consider great successes for me (no sugar/no flour)
    Monday: overnight oats, banana, hamburger patty, cauliflower, 1/2 potato, brown rice, hawaiian chicken, bell pepper, hummus. 84 g protein, 178 carb, 1288 cal
    Tuesday: overnight oats, raw spinach, tuna, medium avocado, olive oil, zoodles, spaghetti sauce, ground beef, mozzarella, milk, bell pepper, hummus. 76 protein, 118 carb, 1368 cal

Just wanting information from you ... Do you mainly eat meat and vegetables? Aren't you missing out on some nutrition? Looking at my 2 days, which you probably view as high carb, what else would you eliminate and why.

I'm pretty sure my overnight oats would not make your cut, but I love them. This is 50 carbs. I make them the night before, there are various recipes, but mine is oats, almond milk, 1/2 banana, cinnamon, chia seeds, almonds. I like that I can make the night before and i just grab and go. (eat cold).

What are the benefits of low carb vs. no sugar/no flour.

Have a great day everyone!

@can111 - I'm in a weird zone currently. Background - my apologies, it's long and a giant mess.

TL;DR - I'm a mess.

I'm currently 40 years old, female, 5'4", back up to 270 pounds at the moment (319 is highest medically recorded number, though it was higher, lowest last year was 240 before I hit the steps below). I have PCOS (with estrogen dominance), hypothyroidism (non-autoimmune), insulin resistance (with postprandial somnolence), pelvic organ prolapse, no gallbladder (with low stomach acid, digestive issues, etc.), tendon damage (right knee, right wrist are worst), medicine induced high blood pressure (treated), sun sensitivity, being/compulsive eating tendencies, chronic nasal allergies with ongoing severe sinus pressure imbalances, histamine/fermented food sensitivities (triggered ocular migraines), mood issues (what it is depends on who you ask and which day of the week), recently developed hidradenitis suppurativa (HORRIBLE - would NOT wish this on my worst enemy!!!!!), major vitamin deficiencies (decently managed these days, mostly), Seasonal Affective Disorder (severe vitamin D3 insufficiences, mostly treated these days), ongoing tendon weakness-including odd popping-snap sounds/joint discomfort/etc. inflammation (including complications from an amputation as a child), a decade long course of plantar fasciitis (in full remission/fully healed? about 2-3 years now), nearly all joint cartilage quantifiable is 90%+ gone-per my osteo doc, neuro-disconnect between brain and balance input organs (I joke that it's brain damage), adrenal fatigue (unknown if resolved), minor food sensitivities, formerly sleep apnea (primarily resolved), mild insomnia (remission), and I'm sure a number of other random (or NOT?) issues I managed to forget here.

TL;DR - I'm a mess.

I started out low carb in general at the recommendation of my endocrinologist. His suggestion was 50 grams of carbs a day. I felt GLORIOUS from the very first day of being low carb and high fat. That was 1/15/15.

Somewhere around February of that same year, I realized that while my goal was 50 grams, some days was 50 net grams (minus FIBER only) up to say 65 total grams, but the majority of days, I was closer to 35 grams total. So, out of curiousity, I decided to try keto levels, starting at 20 grams total a day. That was 2/18/15. I did really well on this for a while.

Then, at the end of March/beginning of April, I HIT A WALL SO HARD IT WAS LIKE DRIVING A SEMI AT 100 MPH STRAIGHT INTO A CONCRETE BUILDING. My TSH, which had finally been been approaching being back to normal levels more than tripled and skyrocketed over the even high accepted lab range. Increased meds, kept calm, ketoed on. Recommitted in July, carb slide, then in September, TSH rebounded some, but still increased meds, etc.

Lather, rinse, repeat. So now, looking back at trends, I can make a connection between each time I buckled back down and went hard core keto - and the stalling of my thyroid... While there may be some underlying issue, for me it's all coming down to nutrients. When I dropped out grains and cereal and all those fortified foods, I NEGLECTED TO ADD THOSE NUTRIENTS BACK IN SOMEWHERE WITHIN MY KETO PLAN. As such, I somewhat stopped myself before I started.

So now, with my compromised metabolism and confused thyroid, I'm trying to find the balance between the nutrition my body desperately needs, the lower carbs that make me feel awesome, and low enough calories to lose weight slowly but steadily. I feel FABULOUS on keto, so I work to keep to keto levels while I'm at work - for breakfast and lunch. Anything over about 5-10 carbs of the bad types (sugar/starch related) or 20-25 grams of the better types (veggie/egg type carbs), and I'm passing out at my desk. I'm doing more carbs at dinner, and working to find a balance between my compulsive eating/sugar addictions and focusing only on the better quality carbs.

It's working for functioning, but it isn't working for weight loss yet. I'm seeing a low carb friendly dietitian on the 18th, but I'm not overly excited, as she seems to think that a ketogenic diet is dangerous or something (if done incorrectly, I agree completely, but done properly, it isn't...)...

So my goal right now is somewhere between 50-150 depending on which day it is, and what experiment I'm attempting... And I second what else was said here. This group is intended for supporting anyone
    1. actively trying to restrict ANY type of carb
    2. or being below 150 grams a day.

Best of luck to you as you forge your own path!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss - have you tried chlorophyll for adding back some of those missing nutrients...I know Nature's Sunshine makes a mint flavored one that to me tastes quite good (like mint tea) and would supply some of those nutrients the thyroid loves so much...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss - have you tried chlorophyll for adding back some of those missing nutrients...I know Nature's Sunshine makes a mint flavored one that to me tastes quite good (like mint tea) and would supply some of those nutrients the thyroid loves so much...

@tcunbeliever - if I'm not mistaken, the Organic Spirulina supplement I just added has that in it, though I'm not maxing dosage, as I've been using a Vitamin A separately, so I've been switching back and forth. A dose is 6 pills, and I'm taking 2 or so. Didn't want to overdo the A... But I will put it on my list of things to research! Thanks.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually do food carotene instead of an A supplement - your body can readily convert it to A if needed, but can also just flush it if no A is needed.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I usually do food carotene instead of an A supplement - your body can readily convert it to A if needed, but can also just flush it if no A is needed.

Yeah, I'm just now getting to the point of understanding how to dig and find the better forms of supplements, the more natural/easily absorbed types, rather than just reliable brands!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I eat lowish carb, rather than proper low carb. I don't count carbs, but generally avoid sugar, alcohol, grains and potatoes, and have limited fruit (mainly citrus and berries). I eat a lot of veg, some meat, eggs, some full-fat dairy, nuts and seeds, occasionally legumes/beans. Some days that will work out as quite low carb.

However, it's not set in stone for me, and I give myself a lot of leeway for social occasions and so on. I'm not going to refuse birthday cake, for instance! If I go out and pay for a meal, I'll eat just what I want. And now and then I'll eat something which is high carb, but happens to be just right for the meal I'm making (it might just be starch as a thickener, but has sometimes been a spoonful of chutney, marmalade in an orange sauce for roast duck, or a slice of toasted sourdough). And sometimes I just having something that I fancy (chocolate, sweets). However, I am always careful about how much I eat of anything - portion sizes controlled, no mindless eating, etc.

I don't tend to eat replacement foods, such as low-carb products, and I'm not even a fan of zucchini pasta, cauliflower rice, etc. However, I did try a recipe I came across here for "Fathead Pizza", which was actually quite nice.

I feel my diet is usually low enough carb to help wth hunger suppression, which, if I'm honest, was my main reason for going down the low carb route. I also combine it with fasting, and I think low carb and fasting combine well.

This is just what works for me, after experimenting. I'm not judging anybody else's methods, whether low carb or not!

I wouldn't eat your oats, banana, potato, brown rice, etc. They would mainly be replaced by vegetables, seeds, etc. For instance, for breakfast I often have a spoonful of creme fraiche with some mixed seeds or nuts, perhaps a couple of berries if I have them.
  • can111
    can111 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I just want to put a short note to say it is great seeing a broad range of approaches here. We are all built just a bit differently genetically, so we each have to find the right level for ourselves. However, we all agree the level of carb intake (in particular the sugar and refined carbs) found in a typical diet are not healthy for anyone. We also all support each other regardless of the path chosen to help each other find that sweet spot.

AGREE!!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Here! Here! @cstehansen
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    What works best for your body is what is "right" for you. Most of us agree to keep a sharp eye on starches and sugars. We are striving in our own way(s) to better the standard American diet and thus improve our health.
  • poli22
    poli22 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss-I just read your post, and I am really concerned that you need to see a metabolic/bariatric physician. This is someone who can not only help you lose the weight, follow your nutritional needs, follow your metabolic needs along with the hormonal needs that seem to be giving you such problems. I agree that the LCHF diet is probably the best one for you, but you also need a very knowlegeable physician to direct all of those other areas of your life. Your health is not something that you want to guess at. You are on the right road, but you need more help than this site is able to provide.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Vive le difference'! That's the best never learned French I can do, lol.

I'm a keto'er with carbs 5% which is 16 grams for me currently. I was one test away from being officially diagnosed with diabetes. This has brought my fasting blood sugars down to near normal and normal ranges depending on the day. Stress always bumps my fbs up a bit. My lowest so far has been 89 (woo hoo!!!).
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I generally maintain on about 100-125g net but presently at 8%/<25g with intermittent fasting to get a bit of pudge off again as I had let things get a bit out of hand. I have autoimmune thyroid problems, and fibromyalgia (which is why I am gluten free and have been for 6 years now). When I am back at my maintenance level my extra carbs come from beans, brown basmati, and berries and apples and once in a while my favorite fruit, grapefruit.
    As all the others have said.... do what works for you and we will all help support your decisions and chime in if we have similar experiences or a fresh perspective. <3
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I ate over 3,700 calories and 71g net carbs. Lately, I've just been (ch)eating sooo much. Part of that is because I always have had an enormous appetite. The other part has been comfort (emotional) eating. Prior to my recent binges, my calorie allotment has been 1,650 and calorie goal has been to stay 20g-30g. I've just struggled to keep to that... though I eat low carb foods that made up the 71g.

My 71g net carbs yesterday came from:
    -Protein powder (next time I buy, I'm getting at a different type)
    -Chili (my homemade chili has no beans... but includes sausage, beef, bacon, zucchini, tomatoes, and some spices) This last batch has about 1g carbs per ounce, but when eating 1-2 lbs. of it, that adds up.
    -Cheese and cottage cheese
    -Nuts and peanuts
    -Tomatoes
    -Low carb tortilla (6g net carbs in this)

I have type 1 diabetes, so wouldn't eat bananas or oatmeal because that wouldn't work for my BG. Even the volume of these lower carb foods (where I might have 5g-30g carbs at one time) challenge my BG because I'm very carb sensitive since becoming fat adapted.

If you don't have any medical issues, though, and this works for you; then why change it?
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This is a great question and I'm really appreciating the responses. I'm really new at this, day 25 to be exact. I'm currently tracking all of my food, both for macros and for calories--one of my goals is fatloss. I aim for (and seem to be staying within) max 20g net carbs. But I'm eating primarily whole foods so I don't have to think through whether or not I'm going to calculate added inulin (chicory) or cellulose fiber as "net carbs" for processed foods. For me, at this time, that approach would have me flirting with the "exceptions" rather than mastering the self-awareness, discipline, and benefits of a low-carb, high-fat ketogenic foodway.

My carbs tend to come from dairy (cheese) and non-starchy vegetables. I love vegetables, so I'm usually eating lettuces, collards, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, chard, parsley, cilantro, etc. every day, if not with every meal. I think of avocado and olives as fats, but they also have some net carbs I'm happy to add to my totals. I try to make my own sauces so I can control those potential carbs as well, but I did concede to a 1g-carb/2 tbl ranch dressing for my buffalo wings. I also try to add fermented vegetables and dairy like kimchi, kraut, and kefir--additional sources of acceptable-to-me (but still limited) carbs.

With PCOS and suspected insulin resistance, I'm aiming for this much lower carb range to give my body a chance to heal. Already the inflammation is gone, my energy is astounding, and my physical capacity and desire for movement is profoundly increased. Maybe I will explore the other healthy, but higher-carb, vegetables at a later stage, but for now I'm keeping it keto!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    40DayFit wrote: »
    This is a great question and I'm really appreciating the responses. I'm really new at this, day 25 to be exact. I'm currently tracking all of my food, both for macros and for calories--one of my goals is fatloss. I aim for (and seem to be staying within) max 20g net carbs. But I'm eating primarily whole foods so I don't have to think through whether or not I'm going to calculate added inulin (chicory) or cellulose fiber as "net carbs" for processed foods. For me, at this time, that approach would have me flirting with the "exceptions" rather than mastering the self-awareness, discipline, and benefits of a low-carb, high-fat ketogenic foodway.

My carbs tend to come from dairy (cheese) and non-starchy vegetables. I love vegetables, so I'm usually eating lettuces, collards, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, chard, parsley, cilantro, etc. every day, if not with every meal. I think of avocado and olives as fats, but they also have some net carbs I'm happy to add to my totals. I try to make my own sauces so I can control those potential carbs as well, but I did concede to a 1g-carb/2 tbl ranch dressing for my buffalo wings. I also try to add fermented vegetables and dairy like kimchi, kraut, and kefir--additional sources of acceptable-to-me (but still limited) carbs.

With PCOS and suspected insulin resistance, I'm aiming for this much lower carb range to give my body a chance to heal. Already the inflammation is gone, my energy is astounding, and my physical capacity and desire for movement is profoundly increased. Maybe I will explore the other healthy, but higher-carb, vegetables at a later stage, but for now I'm keeping it keto!

You are dead on with sticking to whole foods making this so much simpler. Getting into the whole "net carbs" thing in processed foods seems to mess up a lot of people based on stuff I have seen posted.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I've been sort of responding to what my body wants. If I'm CONSTANTLY craving sugar, I go strict keto for awhile. Once I'm ok, I might have a carby treat or two, or maybe do low carb for a bit. I've been doing IF 20/4 for awhile and that's been really great. I get to eat big dinners like I'm used to and snack at night and I'm not over my calories because that's all I eat for the day.

If you have a lot of weight to lose you won't starve, but you still have to keep your nutrition up and take vitamins etc.