Supplementing

Options
MKknits
MKknits Posts: 184 Member
I dislike taking daily multi-vitamins, the only things I can see that they do is make me pee neon yellow. I have continued to take a Vitamin D and Vitamin B supplement as I do have a deficiency in both. I also take MagCalm some nights. Right now I just use the Rite Aid brand of most vitamins, but I do realize that there are better ways and better brands to get these vitamins. We spend money on high quality supplements for my epileptic special needs daughter, so I do know and realize there can be a vast difference in quality, we were trying to save money and started buying the fish oil caplets we give her from Sam's Club and it became pretty apparent that they were not helping in the way we wanted them to so we went back to Nordic Naturals or Carlsons fish oil caplets.

So I'm looking for recommendations what should I add to replace some of what I am missing by going low carb? Any brand recommendations? I would love to add things that are more natural and less processed (so taking fish oil instead of taking an omega supplement is an example).

I do have some spirulina tablets here but haven't been taking them, thinking I should add those puppies in. Also have some krill oil caplets but I can't stomach the smell of them so I haven't been using them.

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    calling @KnitOrMiss
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    calling @KnitOrMiss

mwhahaha....that's exactly what I was going to do....She's your go to for sure!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    ***** PLEASE NOTE, I AM NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL IN ANY CAPACITY - THE ADVICE BELOW IS BASED ON A COMBINATION OF MY OWN RESEARCH, PERSONAL EXPERIENCES, AND THE EXPERIENCES OF OTHERS AROUND ME*****

With that D3 supplement, you really need to be taking K2, especially since you are deficient. I like Life Extension brand, which you can get from their site, other sites, or on Amazon. I think Jarrow or someone else has a good K2/M7 formula...

As for the D, just look at the ingredients. If it has soy, get a different one. The one recommended to me (which I didn't get this time around) is Thorne D3. It has no soybean, sunflower, safflower or whatever inflammatory oils. At the time, I was taking mega-doses to get my levels up, but I've done that now, so I'm back to a therapeutic dose. I could probably go back to it... I think I'm taking Doctor's Best brand D3 right now. I do like the Source Naturals D-3 DROPS, but I think it is sweetened somehow. The WellnessWorks brand D3 drops are good too, but I don't know if that's just a local to me thing.

For the B-Complex (I'm assuming - can't do just B12, it will deplete your other B's), I really like Jarrow's B-Right. It has all of the readily available forms - not the synthetic forms (synthetics start with d-before the name, naturals have m-, e-, or "methyl" at the front of them).

That being said, unless you have health conditions or specific known deficiencies, there really aren't things you HAVE to get. I basically broke down the components of a multivitamin into individual pieces so I can control amounts and timing.

If you want to go simple and can afford to buy a bit at a time to get the amounts down, Calton Nutrition has an AM/PM formula that's pretty comprehensive called Nutreince. Someone here was trying it out, but I don't know how they've been doing with it. It's a powder, individually packaged, stirred into water, so it's better absorbed and doesn't have a chance to get oxidized or whatever. Buying a single month can be $60 or so per month, but if you buy 3-4 months at a time, the cost comes down to about $35 a month, which is about what most of us pay for a basic set of supplements.

Aside from that, my favorite experiments I'm currently running are:
    • using L-glutamine for sugar addiction, compulsive, and binge eating tendencies.
    • Amino Acid precursors to Neurotransmitters ala THIS ARTICLE, my own tweaking on it.
    • working up to most of Maria Emmerich's thyroid support suggestions
    • working on essential oils and self care stuff (started using a natural toner I made last night - already noticeable difference - and I got my Argan oil to make my own facial serum, etc.).

Aside from that, unless you notice something of have a problem, if you are eating a variety of foods, including organ meats periodically, eggs daily, as many veggies/colors of foods (difference colors = different nutrients) as you can fit in your dietary plan, and avoiding grains/gluten which interfere with lots of absorptions, there really isn't a lot you HAVE to do. It's all very personal.

Identify any concerns, symptoms, or foods you know you eliminated and decide if you think you're missing anything. Many of us add or subtract things as we go along...

And thanks for the call outs, @cstehansen & @RowdysLady ... The book "The MicroNutrient Miracle" by Jayson and Mira Calton is on my current reading list - and where a lot of my information started before getting researched separately.

EDITED TO ADD: You are right, @MKknits - most multis are crap due to bad amounts, bad forms, and conflicting absorbing issues... Just my 53 cents... :)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    You are right, @MKknits - most multis are crap due to bad amounts, bad forms, and conflicting absorbing issues... Just my 53 cents... :)

I am assuming the "53 cents" is based on the pre-tax amount to get to an after tax amount of 2 cents, right?
  • MKknits
    Options
    Thank you so much! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help I've had from so many of you.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    You are right, @MKknits - most multis are crap due to bad amounts, bad forms, and conflicting absorbing issues... Just my 53 cents... :)

I am assuming the "53 cents" is based on the pre-tax amount to get to an after tax amount of 2 cents, right?

@sstehansen - close but no cigar. I'm SOOOOO much more opinionated than putting in my 2 cents, so I make up something at random, based on whimsy. LOLz
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    MKknits wrote: »
    Thank you so much! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help I've had from so many of you.

@MKknits - You are so welcome. And let me tell you something you already know as a teacher, sharing anything we know that is in any way beneficial to someone else, EVER, is what it is ALL about! Happy to share what I know, learn, or have researched.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    MKknits wrote: »
    So I'm looking for recommendations what should I add to replace some of what I am missing by going low carb?

I've been keto only 7.5 months but have not experienced a reason to supplement except for an initial need for increased sodium and magnesium. I ceased supplementing those and did not find a return of "keto flu" symptoms or leg cramps (though I am aware either may return sporadically). I did start taking magnesium again but the reason has NOTHING to do with weight/food choices.

What are you missing by going low carb is my question.

• RowdysLady
    Options
    and @KnitOrMiss doesn't fail us!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    if you are Vit D deficient, your best bet is to take food carotene supplement and get sunlight...

food carotene will convert to A as needed
    A will convert to D as needed - sunlight (UV) required

D is not terribly bioavailable as a supplement, plus, it's almost impossible to overdose on food carotene while it's very easy to overdose on A and D since they are hard on the liver
  • MKknits
    Options
    if you are Vit D deficient, your best bet is to take food carotene supplement and get sunlight...

food carotene will convert to A as needed
    A will convert to D as needed - sunlight (UV) required

D is not terribly bioavailable as a supplement, plus, it's almost impossible to overdose on food carotene while it's very easy to overdose on A and D since they are hard on the liver

I live in Maine - most of our population is actually D deficient because we live in a colder climate and are only able to fully expose our skin to sunlight during the summer months AND because even in the summer months the suns rays are never truly direct slightly slanted, so our D production is often lower then folks in more southern states even in the summer. In winter especially more sunlight won't fix the issue in Maine the sunlight we get is just not intense enough.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    light therapy lamp?
  • dkginger
    dkginger Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am only on day 5 of being strict keto. I keep hearing about supplementing with magnesium, sodium and potassium. I already didn't eat a lot of sugar and most days my carb intake prior to now was around 100 mostly from vegetables.
    I haven't experienced any side effects whatsoever so far. I am using pink Himalayan (always have) in much greater quantities these past several days. I did buy some chelated mag before I started. How important is the potassium and should I wait until something happens before getting it? Or have some lite salt on hand? I'm not really sure what side effects would warrant it other than cramps? I have energy, sleeping well, no headache. I'm drinking close to 100 oz of water a day. Not peeing as much as I would normally expect. My diet is all real fresh food, nothing processed. It has consisted of meats, eggs, cheese, spinach/lettuce/celery/cucumbers, avocados, mayo, butter, olive oil and coconut oil.
    Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
  • RowdysLady
    Options
    @dkginger Disclaiming - I have had gastric surgery, so YMMV but I didn't need to add any extra supplementation to my diet - that I know of - I just had blood work done and we'll see what that says soon enough :smile:
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I have a non keto pal who eats a healthy high carb diet regularly and did a 10 day fat load (keto) for 10 days then 3 days of carb load (400 carbs) prior to a half marathon and never once experienced keto flu when going high fat or any lethargy when switching up to pre race super carbing. Had a personal best for the half marathon. Guess we all react differently to dietary changes.
  • MKknits
    Options
    I guess I kind of assumed I was missing nutrients with the decrease in veg. I eat veg with my two meals (usually broccoli, cauliflower, or spinach) but I'm not eating as many fruits and vegetables as I was before.
  • emaline2210
    emaline2210 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm vitamin d deficient also and was prescribed 50,000 Mcg once weekly and will retest next week to see where I'm at. I'm also taking fish oil and magnesium as an addition to eating this way. The brands aren't spectacular, but they do the job for the time being. I tend to like solaray for most supplements.

As far as additional supplements, I am taking adrenal support, quercetin and a daily vitamin. The daily vitamin is mostly due to the fact that I was drinking an energy supplement daily and cannot afford it at this time. But yeah, my urine is just neon from it. So I'm not sure.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @MKknits you raised a good question and got some good replies.

I take a lot of supplements and have found that Life Extension Mix Capsules state of the art Multi-Nutrient Formula cut down on the number of bottles I have to manage each day.

Eating KETO quickly addressed about 70% of my joint and muscle pain. About two months ago I decided to go off all of my supplements that I have added over the last two years except fish oil that I have been taking heavily for over 20 years.

Over night I went into a tail spin pain wise and was really bad for the next month and still am not at my pre supplement vacation level of pain control.

Best of success with your trial and error use of supplements.
  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    dkginger wrote: »
    I am only on day 5 of being strict keto. I keep hearing about supplementing with magnesium, sodium and potassium. I already didn't eat a lot of sugar and most days my carb intake prior to now was around 100 mostly from vegetables.
    I haven't experienced any side effects whatsoever so far. I am using pink Himalayan (always have) in much greater quantities these past several days. I did buy some chelated mag before I started. How important is the potassium and should I wait until something happens before getting it? Or have some lite salt on hand? I'm not really sure what side effects would warrant it other than cramps? I have energy, sleeping well, no headache. I'm drinking close to 100 oz of water a day. Not peeing as much as I would normally expect. My diet is all real fresh food, nothing processed. It has consisted of meats, eggs, cheese, spinach/lettuce/celery/cucumbers, avocados, mayo, butter, olive oil and coconut oil.
    Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Just wondering about the pink Himalayan salt. Is it better than regular salt? Or is it just preference?
  • dkginger
    dkginger Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bininj wrote: »

Just wondering about the pink Himalayan salt. Is it better than regular salt? Or is it just preference?

It is far superior to table salt and even sea salt due to the mineral content. Over 84 trace minerals where table salt has been stripped of almost all its minerals and bleached. This is but one of many references. http://www.collective-evolution.com/2016/02/01/this-is-what-happens-to-your-body-when-you-eat-pink-himalayan-salt/