OT: Some Medical Issues

Options
beachwoman2006
beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
I don't typically post about medical issues here (or in any public forum); but I consider you "guys" my friends so I'm going to let you in on what's going on. And I'm sorry this is so long.

A little background -- My mom was a diabetic with EXTREMELY high blood pressure and EXTREMELY high cholesterol (usually over 600 even with meds). And her triglycerides were so high that they weren't even measurable with the "standard" tests. She was diagnosed with all of these when she was 30 years old and she lived to be almost 91 without ever having a stroke or a heart attack.

As most/some of you (who were around on the WW message board) know, I was put on blood pressure medicine a couple of years ago. If nothing else it proved to me that being at an ideal weight doesn't guarantee that you aren't going to have high blood pressure! I truly believe that it's in the genes. For about a year, my BP was controlled on just one medication. Then it wasn't and an additional medication was added. One of the side effects of that medication was weight gain in *some* people. Over the course of about six months, I gained about 15 pounds and it has stuck with me. <sigh>

I had my regular annual physical about a year ago and things were pretty much stable so he (the doctor) kept my meds as they were.

About 3 months ago I started noticing that occasionally I would have what sounded like a "whooshing" sound in my left ear and that it coincided with my heartbeat. In other words, it was like I could HEAR by heartbeat in my right ear. It wasn't all the time; but enough to be very annoying and a tad scary.

I went for my annual physical and blood work on October 24th. While I was there, I mentioned the whooshing so he had me scheduled for a carotid doppler study. I went back on November 7th for followup of my lab tests. For the first time ever (at least since I lost weight), my cholesterol was elevated (229). The good cholesterol is EXCELLENT (55). The bad cholesterol not so much (150). But the LDL/HDL ratio was still well within normal limits. Sooooooo, he started me on Lipitor <sigh>.

My blood pressure is now considered "uncontrolled" (it was 175/100 in his office -- not surprising since I have "white coat syndrome" but I had noticed it slowly creeping up at home too -- so he changed one of my BP meds and increased the dosage on the other one. <sigh x 3>

The carotid doppler showed a 50-60% blockage in my right carotid artery and a 40-50% blockage in the left carotid artery. At this time, he's hopeful that bringing my cholesterol down will help reduce the blockage and no surgery will be needed (not usually recommended until there's at least a 70% blockage). I will see him again the first of February and if the medication has reduced my cholesterol, then he'll keep the meds the same, wait another 3 months and repeat the doppler study to see if the blockages are reduced.

He told me that I was a prime example of why he believes that high blood pressure and high cholesterol are related more to genetics than to lifestyle. While I'm above my ideal body weight (BMI is 26.5 right now), I eat well and I'm fairly active. He said that's the bad news; but the good news is that I probably inherited my mom's longevity genes too :)

Oh and I should mention that, among other things, one of the side effects of Lipitor is weight gain <sigh X 100!>

Getting old sucks. But it beats the alternative. I guess.

P.S. The other "good" news -- since starting on the new regimen for my BP, I'm happy to say that it's dropping more and more. This morning it was 112/70 :)

Replies

• Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Cindy,
    I read every word. Last week my Dr told me I may get off my Type II diabetes Rx meds next visit IF I KEEP losing weigh and keep active.

Yes, getting old is tough but with your self awareness and WW Lifestyle you may have avoided a stroke. I bet you do have your Mom's longevity genes because you sure seem feisty!

Both my parents died in their mid 50s so I was happy to see 60! I'll be 69 in Feb and will look forward to my 70s.

We all have reasons we're here fighting the Battle of the Bulge but getting healthier is probably the best reason to keep going. Your post today is a good reminder for me. My older brother who just turned 76 is fine but my younger brother, age 62, is the one who had a heart attack last May. He's recovering but it could have been the BIG one.

Wishing you good health and know that we all rely on you to keep us GoaDs in line!

Take Care,
    Jim
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Been thinking about ya Cindy . Glad your BP is down anyway. I have genetic hi cholesterol and do what I can. Hang in there!
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,999 Member
    Options
    Cin, keep plugging. :)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    Hope the meds do their thing for you Cindy. Best wishes.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,700 Member
    Options
    Cindy: Sometimes we take one med.. and then it causes other problems. Best wishes for your health sounds like your on the right track
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    About 3 months ago I started noticing that occasionally I would have what sounded like a "whooshing" sound in my left ear and that it coincided with my heartbeat. In other words, it was like I could HEAR by heartbeat in my right ear. It wasn't all the time; but enough to be very annoying and a tad scary.

Cindy, first, glad to hear things are improving and hope they continue to do so! I can imagine the fear of the unknown, the known and just the PITA related to side effects of multiple meds being weight gain. Hang in there; it sounds like it's getting better.

What you said about the whooshing was very interesting to me. I used to experience something similar, several years ago. I don't remember if it was one ear or both but I think it was just one. I too noticed that it was coincident with my heart beat. I never got it checked out (I barely had a doctor at that time) and now that I think about it, I haven't experienced it in a long, long time. What you posted about the condition is very insightful--thanks!

• myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,552 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Getting old sucks. But it beats the alternative. I guess.
    Amen. I was at the Pain Dr (how did I end up with one of those?) and I had to complete a new medical history due to their new computer system. Always an uplifting process.

But I am so glad things seem to be improving. I have been on Lipitor since 2012 it does seem to work well for me. While it may be frustrating to have done all the right things with diet and weight and find it can't trump genetics (as my Dr reminded me about my eventual heart issues) it is important to control the things that are in your control. Keep taking care of yourself. Thank you for sharing this and all you bring to GoaD.

• spospo1
    spospo1 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    We all have to play the cards that we are dealt. It seems that you are playing them well and are on point regarding your health. A lesson for us all. Your post reminded me that I am overdue for my yearly physical and should be a better advocate for my own health. Thanks for sharing.