I'm getting scared

Options
CaitKilla
CaitKilla Posts: 75 Member
Hey girls. So I'm 20 years old, 5'2, and I weigh about 130 pounds. I started my weight loss journey at 157 pounds last February. So far everything has been fine, I've been losing weight and feeling great and confident. However, some of my friends warned me that I should be eating more. One of my friends previously had anorexia and warned me that at one point during weight loss, her period stopped for two years. I've getting a little freaked out because even though I feel great and healthy and look good, I haven't gotten my period since September 8th. I told my friend who had anorexia and she said that I need to eat more; like 1800 calories. But then I wouldn't lose weight. But I'm so scared that I'm doing something wrong because my period has stopped. But I eat healthy foods and I love vegetables! What's happening to me? What should I do?

Replies

• BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You definitely didn't lose weight fast so it is kind of odd your period hasn't happened in a few months. Do you usually only get your period every few months? If you do, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. But since you haven't had it in a while, I would go see a doctor just to make sure. I've heard women who lose their period from exercising too much.

Really, I would go see a doctor to make sure everything is ok.
  • CaitKilla
    CaitKilla Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You definitely didn't lose weight fast so it is kind of odd your period hasn't happened in a few months. Do you usually only get your period every few months? If you do, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. But since you haven't had it in a while, I would go see a doctor just to make sure. I've heard women who lose their period from exercising too much.

It's weird because my periods may be a couple days late, but they are mostly regular. Ever since September they've been irregular. Yeah I want to see a doctor too. My mom says it's common but I really just want to make sure.
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    CaitKilla wrote: »

It's weird because my periods may be a couple days late, but they are mostly regular. Ever since September they've been irregular. Yeah I want to see a doctor too. My mom says it's common but I really just want to make sure.

Yeah, I would go get it checked out. It definitely isn't common if your periods have been regular. And many girls I know that do have irregular periods (2 or more months apart), are usually infertile and need to take birth control to level out their periods. It is better to see a doctor now than to wait and regret it later. It probably isn't that serious since you eat enough and exercise.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Add some healthy fats. You need some if you are in a low fat diet ex. <20%. Try adding fatty fish like salmon if you eat meat, raw nuts, avocados, coconut oil or olive oil. Now that I've changed my macros to include more healthy fats every day I feel better.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna ask the obvious question here: is there any chance you could be pregnant, and have you ruled pregnancy out with a test? Next: any recent changes to birth control?

If no: the reason your friend lost her period is related to dropping her body fat % dramatically, so much so that it altered her hormones. You're not at critical body fat levels, and you've lost weight at an appropriate rate. You don't need to be concerned about an eating disorder (unless there's reasons you haven't shared), but you should make an appointment with you gynecologist to discuss possible causes and make sure there's no serious issues. Amenorrhea can be stress-related or exercise-related, so don't panic yet, but do see a doctor.