Soul Bread

Options
I don't really miss bread, but wouldn't mind it and my teenaged daughter appears too be sensitive to gluten and I'd prefer her to have an alternative to commercial gluten free breads that was also not carby. I have my first attempted batch in the oven and it smells okay. Not really what I would consider a baking bread smell but not bad. I will post pics of results once it is out of oven and cool enough to slice. Also, I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese because that is what I happened to have on hand, we shall see how that effects the end product, but on the plus side it rings in at about .8g carbs per serving vs regular cream cheese (kraft) which is two carbs per.

Nutrition Facts
Servings 16.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 179
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 14 g 21 %
Saturated Fat 7 g 34 %
Monounsaturated Fat 3 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 77 mg 26 %
Sodium 278 mg 12 %
Potassium 39 mg 1 %
Total Carbohydrate 1 g 0 %
Dietary Fiber 0 g 1 %
Sugars 0 g
Protein 12 g 24 %
Vitamin A 8 %
Vitamin C 0 %
Calcium 4 %
Iron 2 %

Replies

• ksullivan2050
    ksullivan2050 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think this is the only. LC bread I've made that tastes and feels like bread - the other stuff(with the whipped egg whites) tastes like baked eggs to me. I make this every other month and freeze half the loaf it's great.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    dfu2070ydbga.jpg

Looking good so far. Looks like bread, smells more or less like bread... Once it cools, shall have a slice (daughter was trying to get me to cut it hot!)

If it works out I am definitely having toast n eggs in the morning.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Oh, you must post the recipe for those of us not in the know.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    ae4vkr8640ak.jpg

The texture is good, nice tight crumb, the edges have a good crust to them. The heel piece I ate had the faintest hint of egg taste. My daughter liked it too. Seems like it would toast well and hold up to a sandwich like application.

Recipe is at:

http://lowcarbediem.com/low-carb-soul-bread-recipes/
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    When I made it, I liked it best as toast. Mmmmmm, has me thinking about a lovely BLT..... I just ate way too many pieces of it, so I let it go...... :smile:
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    ae4vkr8640ak.jpg

The texture is good, nice tight crumb, the edges have a good crust to them. The heel piece I ate had the faintest hint of egg taste. My daughter liked it too. Seems like it would toast well and hold up to a sandwich like application.

Recipe is at:

http://lowcarbediem.com/low-carb-soul-bread-recipes/

Thanks for posting this I have seen it referenced in discussions, but seeing the finished product really helps. I might try this because DH loves his bread and is T2D, so low carb bread would be great for him as well as me, I am the one following LCHF diet. Wouldn't trust myself with a whole loaf >:)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Mine didn't look just like this, but I made a calculation error in my baking powder addition (made the slightly sweet version I made salty). I like it grilled, and I have kept pieces frozen and such off and on for a while. I still have some left in my freezer, but I really need to make a regular version soon. I'm pretty much ready to dive off board to have a grilled cheese sandwich soon... LOL But the taste is great, not too eggy at all, can be made in decent batches, etc.

Maria Emmerich has some "bread" recipes I've not yet braved that also get good reviews.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    2y6qhicfdyfu.jpg

This is what I did with it today... Garlic cheese toast and steak!

My daughter ate two little slices of it for breakfast.

I sliced the remainder of the loaf and froze 3 r4-slice bags.
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    YUM!!! I have to try this! Thanks for sharing.