Please introduce yourself!

crimsongrey
crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
edited November 2016 in Social Groups
I'm an eventer and need to be more fit for cross country! I had worked in barns and as a trainer for several years, but my life circumstances have changed and I'm not nearly as active anymore and have become out of shape and overweight. I have gone from riding 5-10 horses a day to riding one and not doing any chores as I am now simply a boarder. My show season is coming up starting in January so I've really been working on fitness at the gym. I'd love to hear from other riders :smile:

Replies

• ehovius
    ehovius Posts: 2 Member
    I am a lower level dressage rider getting back into the saddle after a few years off. I too am out of shape and overweight. Between work/family commitments I can only ride 2x week so getting fit solely through riding is not going to happen. I need to improve my cardio as well as work a kettlebell workout into my schedule once a week. Getting outside regularly will be tough as we get lots of snow and winter is on its way. I look forward to going down the path towards better health with fellow COTH members. :-)
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,494 Member
    I rode H/J in my youth and then took 10 years off when I went to college. I got back in to riding in my late twenties and I've been doing mostly dressage since. I am a casual rider at best with not a lot of time to spend at it. About a month ago, I moved my girl (13 year old Arabian mare) to a closer facility and I am finding it much easier to spend time with her. We also just started lessons with a new trainer and I am hoping to do a little jumping, a little dressage, and a lot of trail riding. I live in southeast Texas, so wintertime means we finally have good riding weather. ;)
  • crimsongrey
    If you're going to do a little bit of jumping and dressage and a lot of trail riding, you might as well do eventing...add jumps on the trail rides! So much fun! I also rode as a kid and took about 15 years off due to financial reasons and college. My husband finally got me gift certificates for 3 lessons one year for Christmas and our lives were changed forever. Within a month I was cleaning stalls to ride extra horses and over the next few years I started doing working student gigs to fully immerse myself. It has become my life. Unfortunately, we relocated about 2 years ago and it's been harder here to be as involved. So now I ride every day and go to the gym to try to match the fitness I had in the past. I'll be heading to SC for 3 months to work for a trainer and do some showing :)
    I understand how hard it is when the ponies are far away...I drive about an hour each way. I'm so happy for you that your mare is closer and the weather is cooling off. Enjoy!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,494 Member
    Eventing might be a bit much for me. I already participate in several dangerous activities. I don't need one more! Plus my mare is only 14.3. :)
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    I don't mind tiny jumps, but I'm too sooky for big ones!
    I'm a pudgy Australian teacher, although about 20kg less pudgy than I was 2 years ago. Moving to country, new job, 5:2 fasting, regular yoga etc have made a big difference!
    Hoping to do some vaguely respectable dressage over summer and next year...
  • Kohlani2
    Kohlani2 Posts: 1 Member
    I do hunter jumper now. I used to do low level eventing (schooled up to pre-training). I'm moving up to the metres now so I need to improve my endurance and leg and core strength.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    I don't actually ride much any more, so I will probably mainly be a lurker in this group. I sporadically took hunt seat lessons as a child through college, but once I got a real job as an adult I did a couple years of serious riding under the instruction of a woman who is an A-show judge and got her chops training thoroughbreds off the track as jumpers. I rode one of her thoroughbreds and was at the level where I could manage 3' walls and oxers with decent form, but it was fairly terrifying :o (the older I get, the more I appreciate a nice plump little dressage horse). I initially stopped riding to focus on some obedience training with our then-new Boxer, and then got pregnant, and well you know how it goes.

My daughter is now 10 and has been riding for a little over a year with a local high school girl who is an accomplished barrel racer, with an absolutely wonderful "schoolmaster" type horse, but who doesn't have a lot of schooling experience--I encouraged bareback lessons, so I feel like my daughter has been developing a good natural seat in a fun, relaxed way--she rides like a little centaur. Now that her instructor has left for college, it's time to get her into a more serious hunter-jumper stable, and I will probably lesson with her; of course the trick is the juggling act with time (and a serious lack thereof). However, now that I have lost 25 lbs, I can at least get my butt back in my chaps again! (Don't ask me about my fancy breeches and boots though...thank God for Ariat paddock boots!)
  • crimsongrey
    Now that her instructor has left for college, it's time to get her into a more serious hunter-jumper stable, and I will probably lesson with her; of course the trick is the juggling act with time (and a serious lack thereof). However, now that I have lost 25 lbs, I can at least get my butt back in my chaps again! (Don't ask me about my fancy breeches and boots though...thank God for Ariat paddock boots!)

Yes!!! When I used to teach, my specialty was getting parents off the rail and into the saddle. I even had a grandma who ended up being a consistent student of mine :) For those who rode when they were younger, they were always amazed at how quickly the muscle memory came back and they found that they appreciated the technical aspects of riding so much more. Plus, it gives the parents a great opportunity for bonding with their children over a shared interest. I really hope you get the chance to start lessons!

• cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Hi! I am currently a H/J rerider, I had taken about 8 years off and have been back at riding on and off for the last 4 years. I decided in the last 6 months I won't do anymore off times cause I love it so I am riding more. I ride my sister in laws horse once a week and sometimes some other horses here and there, with a lesson sprinkled in. I used to teach but wasn't able to sustain it and I do miss it. I love being at the barn. <3

That said, I am currently at least 15 pounds heavier than I need to be and it is seriously affecting my riding. I don't look as good in the saddle and my butt is getting too big for my saddle, it is one thing to buy new jeans for your bigger butt but totally different to get a new saddle because of it!

I tend to ride once a week so other workouts will be my go to. But I know it will all improve my riding.
  • snookb276
    snookb276 Posts: 121 Member
    Hi, I'm Kelly. I've been a horse enthusiast most of my life. Right now I have a 12 year old Arabian gelding and ride with dressage principles and hope to one day show. He's a blast to ride around the farm or take out on the trail. I started with a trainer but now just having fun building our relationship. I have my horses at home so riding is when the weather is willing this time of year. It's great to meet a group of gals who are of similar mind and interest.
  • crimsongrey
    So happy to meet everyone :)
  • crimsongrey
    New members, please introduce yourselves! If you're not comfortable posting on here, please send me a message. I made a huge mistake and approved everyone without reading their messages (thinking I could do it later) and now I don't know how to go back and read them :( I'm so sorry, b/c I know you took the time to type something out. I'd really like to know something about everyone! Oh, and anyone can add me :)
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Hello! I am currently trying to improve my fitness so I can be a better rider. I ride 2 horses at the moment, 1 I own and 1 I am conditioning for my trainer. Most weeks I have 2 lessons on my gelding then ride both Friday/Saturday/Sunday.
    I have a short term goal of having my guy consistent in 0.90m-1.0m jumpers and the borrowed boy will be marketed in Spring '17 in the Pre-Green Hunters.
    I started a countdown on December 1 to mark 100 days until my birthday, it will include my established riding habit, completing C25K/C210K by zenlabs and introducing the gym for weight training, and just generally trying to make better use of the 18 hours I am awake.... I work full time and have 2 almost grown young men.
    I look forward to motivation and accountability from fellow riders.... feel free to add me!
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Hello everyone! I am currently training my Haflinger for riding/lower level dressage. I like to take the older horses that have sat for a few years, in his case 4, and give them new purpose and a job :). My horse is high earning points man in 6 hitch showing. But when it comes to dressage...he is trying to learn that he actually has a back end to him. HA HA! He has come a long way to the spooking at everything and not knowing how to steer horse. To now working on his right lead canter ( always triggering back to wrong lead). I figured I have my poor pony sweating and working his tail off...that it was my turn to step up and give myself the same treatment. So that is why I am here, I have a good chunk to loose. My own weapon of choice is a Fitbit Charge 2 HRM. I LOVE IT!!! :) I am hoping to succeed in loosing a good amount of weight and making friends in the process.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    oh and my name is Heather and my horses name is Aladdin*** duh forgot that!!
  • Snowdenfarm
    Snowdenfarm Posts: 84 Member
    Hi all! I started riding 50 (yikes!) years ago. I worked for over ten years as barn help, rider, instructor and trainer, mainly hunters. Then I took 25 years off to have kids. I have been back riding for just over ten years now, backyard trail riding. Then last winter my dream horse fell in my lap and I started showing low level dressage -- just training level last year, first level this coming season. I call myself my horse's personal trainer. I feel I owe it to her to be in the best shape I can be if I am going to ask so much of her. I have lost the weight I wanted to lose and my seat is so much better as a result. But, I need to work hard to keep the weight off, and exercise to build up the muscle to be light and in balance when I ride.
  • crimsongrey
    Welcome @Snowdenfarm :smiley: Hope you enjoy our group!

• crimsongrey
    We've had several new members join in the past couple of days. Welcome! We'd love to hear from you!
  • aconybelle
    aconybelle Posts: 20 Member
    Hi! It's so great to see riders close to my age here. I'll be 50 in a few months. I've been riding since I was about 10, stopping in my late teens and picking it back up in my 30s. I started out in hunters, but when I got back into it I switched to eventing. I struggled to overcome balance and strength issues, not just from lack of riding, but also because of the change in my body. I was heavier and I just couldn't find my center. This led to insecurity in my seat and a lot of frustration.
    I switched to dressage after changing barns, and I really love it, but I miss jumping.
    I moved to a somewhat isolated area with a much different horse scene. Actually pretty nonexistent. The closest trainer is almost 2 hours away, and my riding has taken on a more "relaxed" pace, lol. So has my body.
    Definitely could use some motivation. I have plans to just get my older paint and myself fit enough for some hunter paces and low level dressage next year. Thanks for adding me to the group!
  • Adhdvogeltj3
    Adhdvogeltj3 Posts: 13 Member
    Hi everyone!
    So nice to join this group. I'm 27 and from the Netherlands. I've been riding since I was 6.
    About 10 years ago I started riding arabians and I have been hooked ever since. I absolutely LOVE the breed. My current ride is a 5 year old arabian gelding, which is a big change after 9 years of nothing but mares :D
    I've never owned a horse, I've always taken care of and ridden other peoples horses. In the Netherlands we call this "verzorgpaard". Verzorg -> to take care of; Paard -> horse.
    It's a pretty common practice around here for people ( mostly younger girls) to take care of other people's horses a few days of the week when you can't afford ( or don't have the time) for your own. Is there an english term for this?

I'm mostly a dressage rider, I like jumping, but my I haven't been able to ride horses that like it too for the past few years. I also love trail riding. The gelding I ride now is used for endurance by his owner ( he started this year and has all his points to proceed to the next level next year, we are very proud) and I train him in dressage. He does not always agree haha! But it's good for him, he's turning from a gangly little puppypony into a buff little ponpon. :D

I'm mostly trying to lose weight for myself, but I also think that it would make a nicer picture for any future shows if I lost some weight. I have my heart set on some very fancy leather riding boots that don't come in my current calf size. ;)