Please introduce yourself!

Replies

• crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Hi everyone!
    So nice to join this group. I'm 27 and from the Netherlands. I've been riding since I was 6.
    About 10 years ago I started riding arabians and I have been hooked ever since. I absolutely LOVE the breed. My current ride is a 5 year old arabian gelding, which is a big change after 9 years of nothing but mares :D
    I've never owned a horse, I've always taken care of and ridden other peoples horses. In the Netherlands we call this "verzorgpaard". Verzorg -> to take care of; Paard -> horse.
    It's a pretty common practice around here for people ( mostly younger girls) to take care of other people's horses a few days of the week when you can't afford ( or don't have the time) for your own. Is there an english term for this?

I'm mostly a dressage rider, I like jumping, but my I haven't been able to ride horses that like it too for the past few years. I also love trail riding. The gelding I ride now is used for endurance by his owner ( he started this year and has all his points to proceed to the next level next year, we are very proud) and I train him in dressage. He does not always agree haha! But it's good for him, he's turning from a gangly little puppypony into a buff little ponpon. :D

I'm mostly trying to lose weight for myself, but I also think that it would make a nicer picture for any future shows if I lost some weight. I have my heart set on some very fancy leather riding boots that don't come in my current calf size. ;)

@Adhdvogeltj3 Welcome! So great to have you here :smile:
    I believe the English term for verzorgpaard is "horse crazed kid whose parents won't/can't buy them a pony of their own" lol! It's how I grew up and even did it as an adult when I got back into horses after a 15 year forced hiatus. I rode anything I could and didn't get my own horse until I was in my 30's. After getting my first horse, I became a working student, working for trainers doing anything and everything to get lessons and to ride other horses. At 45, I'll be heading to Aiken, South Carolina, US, in January to work for a trainer for 3 months in exchange for my housing, lessons, and the opportunity to ride other horses. It's an addiction :smile:
  • crimsongrey
    Hi! It's so great to see riders close to my age here. I'll be 50 in a few months. I've been riding since I was about 10, stopping in my late teens and picking it back up in my 30s. I started out in hunters, but when I got back into it I switched to eventing. I struggled to overcome balance and strength issues, not just from lack of riding, but also because of the change in my body. I was heavier and I just couldn't find my center. This led to insecurity in my seat and a lot of frustration.
    I switched to dressage after changing barns, and I really love it, but I miss jumping.
    I moved to a somewhat isolated area with a much different horse scene. Actually pretty nonexistent. The closest trainer is almost 2 hours away, and my riding has taken on a more "relaxed" pace, lol. So has my body.
    Definitely could use some motivation. I have plans to just get my older paint and myself fit enough for some hunter paces and low level dressage next year. Thanks for adding me to the group!

@moody_equestrian Welcome! I was a re-rider, too, started back in hunters then switching to eventing. I am addicted to eventing :smile:
    It's amazing how much even a little bit of weight or lack of fitness can change your riding. I definitely find myself doing weird things with my body over fences to compensate. It's getting better now that I'm riding more and getting more fit, but I'm not anywhere near where I need to be to feel my best in the saddle. We can do this though :smiley:
    And I definitely hear you on the nonexistent horse scene! It has been so frustrating and I have sacrificed a lot to get the training and experience that I've been desperate to get. My husband is a saint and has been supportive of me leaving home for months on end to do working student gigs. We stay here for his job so our compromise is that I get to leave to follow my dreams for a couple of months a year.
    Feel free to post any training questions you have in this group...it doesn't only have to be about fitness and diet!
  • crimsongrey
    Any other members care to introduce themselves?
    The more participation, the better! Honestly, I am surprised at how helpful this group has been for me. I am sincerely happy to hear how everyone is doing and I definitely find myself wanting to be accountable. For example, yesterday was hard for me and it took everything I had to get to the gym. The thing that got me to go was not that I have 5 weeks until I leave for Aiken, but that I committed it to you guys. I did not want to be a hypocrite! Even though we are a group of strangers, I still feel the camaraderie and support. Thanks for everyone's participation :blush:
  • aconybelle
    aconybelle Posts: 20 Member
    @crimsongrey I think it's amazing that you're going to work for a trainer. I hope you share some stories with us when you get there, so I can live vicariously through you, lol.
  • snookb276
    snookb276 Posts: 121 Member
    I'm inspired by hearing everyone's goals and how they plan to achieve them. I'm not able to ride much in the winter so it's great stay connected through a horse community.
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    I'm 45. I was lucky to have a father, grandmother, and great aunt who were all horseback riders so I grew up riding. My education was mostly informal trail rides. I stopped in my early 20s because adulting interfered. Tried going back in my 30s but, again, adulting. Now that my daughter is adulting on her own and I have a supportive SO instead of a jack@$$ husband I've been able to return to riding. I love dressage and trail riding. I'm fascinated by competitive trail and working equitation. I ride 4-6 days a week, 1-3 horses a day. I own a 20 year old non-pinto Paint who is mostly retired and a 7 year old OTTB who is slowly learning to be a dressage horse. My SO has a 17 year old sometimes-gaited pinto trail boss who I am insisting on training in dressage as well. I take lessons on a dressage schoolmaster a couple times a month so I can focus on ME instead of simply staying on my OTTB. I also teach horseback riding to children one day a week. I've got goals for showing but mostly, right now, I just want to enjoy the ponies.
  • snookb276
    @Here4Cookies Welcome. The stars have finally aligned for you and your horses! Hurray!
  • crimsongrey
    Welcome @Here4Cookies :smile: Thanks for joining. Several of us here are re-riders and understand the whole adulting thing. So happy you're back in the saddle and enjoying the ponies!
  • crimsongrey
    bump :smile:
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    I am a Florida girl, lucky to have my horses in my backyard. I grew up riding Morgan horses and showed saddle seat. In my 30's I met a very knowledgeable older lady that introduced me to dressage and everything I was missing when it came to communicating with my horse at the time.

I have never jumped a horse. Not even by accident. I used to think that I would like do a hunter pace one day, now I don't know. A coworker died unexpectedly this year. His death had me re-evaluating my life and what I enjoy. I really just enjoy a quiet trail ride. My life is so hectic and busy between work, our family business and the gym. I don't have time for regular lessons, training or shows.

My riding horse is an 18 year old grade mare that prefers to walk. Even though I have seen her cantering around the pasture. I haven't had her long and I am hoping she will be the confidence builder that I need in my life.
  • crimsongrey
    bump :)
  • crimsongrey
    bumping again b/c we do have a few new members who will hopefully participate :)
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    @jcraig10 Welcome.... :)
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    I'm a 54 YO rider who used to do endurance go long or go fast! so I went for long :-) Loved it but am transitioning to a more gentler lifestyle. Last year I discovered Cowboy Dressage and Trail Obstacles. I love trail! Cowboy Dressage is good but I am not sure about competing in that particular activity. Dakota did good going in blind last year - he is pretty green cowboy broke just learning to use leg cues and lightness. He got 57 out of 100 and had no training. He subbed for Blue when Blue injured his hock 5 days before the event!! Grrr all that training down the tube! Oh well.

So I want to lose weight for a number of reasons. one being become a more balanced rider. another to keep my legs healthy. they are not so good Had aCL replaced last year and can just now mount from the ground if I want or need to!

Look forward to seeing what going on here. I'm in the Northwood challenge right now and focusing on Blues Rehab. He's the medicine hat in the picture with my heart horse George (RIP) nini1agpukkb.jpg
  • snookb276
    @losergood2011 Welcome. Thanks for sharing pictures of your boys. Cowboy dressage and trails sounds awesome. I'm planning on developing my gelding on the trails more this year in addition to arena work. I'll look forward to your posts.
  • tmcoyle
    tmcoyle Posts: 168 Member
    Welcome @losergood2011 beautiful horses. I have been asked by many friends to compete in the Ranch Versatility shows, but right now I have a lot of lesson students who show western pleasure open shows. Cowboy dressage sounds fun as I excel at horsemanship and equitation.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    New here. Hope this group is still active as riding and boy Thor are what motivate me. I only started riding at 40. Took lessons for three years but then had an accident. Lonnngg story short - they were going to remove my leg but after 3 years and 6 surgeries my leg stayed and I started my come back. Had no muscle and had gained over a hundred pounds. At 53 yearned to try riding again but was terrified. As luck wld have it the trainer I found accidentally was into endurance riding and by my 3rd lesson we were off doing my lesson on trail in the bush. I was terrified half the time but loved it. The horse, Phantom, was amazing and simply rolled his eyes and kept on trottin'. I had no balance, no strength, no seat. But I kept going back. Bought an Arabian/QH, Dolly. Sweet mare but sooo spooky. Rode her on 15-25 mile rides for two years but got tired of flying thru the air when she spooked and completely turned in mid air. My hubby took on Dolly and they are a much better match. Purchased my Polish Arabian Thor. My first ride he spooked at a big round bale/mountain lion and as I started to go I said NO and hung onto his main and stayed in the saddle ... kinda. Took Thor and I almost a year to bond but he is my best buddy now and I love and trust that horse to the hilt. At 58, I have lost about 70 lbs but still have a ways to go. Our first ride is April 30th so really have to get back to work. Hubby and I r just heading out for a muddy ride. Snowed heavy the last two days but today is sunny and plus 8 degrees centigrade.
  • snookb276
    @SharonAnderegg Welcome! You're story is very inspirational. I admire your spirit and tenacity.
  • tmcoyle
    tmcoyle Posts: 168 Member
    @SharonAnderegg a truly inspirational story. The love of horses does this to us.