Splenda vs Stevia

Options
tyggerdev
tyggerdev Posts: 26 Member
I was just wondering what everyone's experience with either of these sweetners is on Keto. My dilemma is that I know that Stevia is a better choice because its glycemic index=0 whereas Splenda's glycemic index=varied. To me Stevia has a funny taste to it. Its not horrible, but Splenda definitely tastes better. I understand that using Splenda "here and there" every once in awhile isn't enough to rock the boat, but I'd like to know if anybody is using it as their main sweetener and what their experience has been while following Keto.

Replies

• 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm one who absolutely HATED the aftertaste from stevia. I'd only had powdered stevia, and stevia-sweetened protein powder. After learning about liquid (non-glycerine) stevia from LCHF boards, I've come to actually enjoy small amounts of stevia.

The brand I'm trying is "Sweet Drops" (original "clear" flavor). Works in coffee and in chia pudding and to sweeten cream cheese. I'm limiting sweet foods at this time to really give myself a chance to adapt to a new way of approaching food. But when I have used the liquid stevia, I've been pleased.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I take in a fair amount of both, as well as Ace K. Almost all of it comes from diet sodas, Torani syrups, and my protein powders. I've had no adverse effects either way, and I consume more of all three than almost anyone would say is okay.

Think 8-10 diet sodas, five to six protein powder servings, and god knows how much of the syrups, every day.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I agree with @40DayFit. I hated the powdered stevia but I enjoy the liquid, flavored stevia in my coffee and more.
  • tyggerdev
    Options
    Interesting that most of y'all prefer the liquid version of stevia over the powdered version. It's actually the liquid version in which I'm referring to the funny taste. I've noticed that when I use the powered version in a hot beverage it tastes just fine, It's when I throw it in something cold is when it tastes weird.

My sweet tolerance isn't actually very high. I add just enough to cut the bitter. Splenda has never caused me any gut issues, I'm just concerned about it causing random glycemic spikes. I probably over thinking it cause I don't even use that much at a time anyway. I just don't wanna bounce in and out of ketosis over something stupid like that.

I really wish stevia and splenda were more popular in soft drinks but they keep putting aspartame in it and it burns my throat. Perhaps time to start using my soda steam again. I found a flavor that uses both stevia and splenda... Interesting.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    tyggerdev wrote: »
    Interesting that most of y'all prefer the liquid version of stevia over the powdered version. It's actually the liquid version in which I'm referring to the funny taste. I've noticed that when I use the powered version in a hot beverage it tastes just fine, It's when I throw it in something cold is when it tastes weird.

My sweet tolerance isn't actually very high. I add just enough to cut the bitter. Splenda has never caused me any gut issues, I'm just concerned about it causing random glycemic spikes. I probably over thinking it cause I don't even use that much at a time anyway. I just don't wanna bounce in and out of ketosis over something stupid like that.

I really wish stevia and splenda were more popular in soft drinks but they keep putting aspartame in it and it burns my throat. Perhaps time to start using my soda steam again. I found a flavor that uses both stevia and splenda... Interesting.

The powdered stevia is cut with another sweetener. Some likely ones are, Maltodextrin, Erythritol, inulin fiber, or even cane sugar.
    Unless it's liquid, it's not just stevia. Even then it might not be.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I have powdered and liquid stevia. I prefer powdered in a hot drink, tea or coffee, but for fat bombs and other cooking uses, liquid is much better to me. I was never a heavy sugary taste kinda gal. The liquid just gives baked goods that sweet hint without an aftertaste on in my mouth. YMMV
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The liquid splenda aka sucralose doesn't have the maltodextrin (i.e., higher glycemic impact item) in it. If you do not have any side effects from it, you might benefit from switching to a liquid sucralose. Most of the time when you combine any two types of artificial or alternative sweeteners, you get a sweeter taste than the same amount of a single sweetener. With stevia, you have to build very slowly. Literally a drop at a time. Usually 3-4 drops is the same as 1-2 packets, and with any non-debittered stevia, too much of it will have a really disgusting aftertaste.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've never been a fan of Splenda, because it contains large amounts of maltodextrin ... which is basically just carbohydrate. I don't really like pure stevia either, I find it bitter.

My go-to is erythritol. It tastes great (imho) and it doesn't affect my blood glucose whatsoever; whereas Splenda affects my BG tremendously, especially the 'for baking' kind.
  • tyggerdev
    Options
    I've never considered using erythritol because I didn't know that you can buy it in its pure form. Although I just found some on Amazon for 7.99/lbs. I'm going to get some and try it out in my tea. I love my tea!

One thing I find interesting about Splenda is a lot of web sources actually claim that "Splenda is not suitable for diabetics", however right on the bag of Splenda is states "Suitable for people with diabetes" and claims to be 0 calories per tsp (0.5g).

My dilemma is that it states that its main ingredient is Maltodextrin and we all know that Maltodextrin is an artificial byproduct from most corn and is "pure carbohydrate". So carbohydrates are typically 4 calories per gram which means each tsp would be 2 calories. This product is allowed to claim 0 calories because its serving size is ridiculously low (not an accident I'm sure) and its calories per serving is less than 5. This is very deceiving. Perhaps they should display a services size of 1 cup (considering this product is being advertised for baking) as well so people can actually get an idea what they're consuming instead of making choices based on this trickery.

On a comical side, its states that it has less than 1g of carbohydrate per serving..... Well no kidding, the serving side is half gram.. DUH!! What genius'.

Plain sugar is 15 calories per tsp (4g). So Splenda's only benefit really is that its significantly fluffier and lighter in weight than sugar which makes its nutrition label more appealing.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @tyggerdev - remember, too, that the liquid stevia doesn't have the maltodextrin in it. That is a powdering agent. While sucralose in any form is potentially** gut harming, at least the liquid doesn't have the carb whammy.
  • tyggerdev
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I found some sweetener at Walmart that is erythritol and stevia and it's amazing!!

Goodbye Splenda! You've been replaced. ;)

It's astonishing how many "low calorie" sweeteners contain maltodextrin. So misleading!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note about a thread on artificial sweeteners. The study referenced includes the 4 main ones which includes Splenda.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10478806/new-study-on-artificial-sweeteners-affecting-glucose-tolerance#latest

It may have negative longer term effects on your glucose tolerance. As far as stevia is concerned, I think it is too new and not yet popular enough to have had the same level of scrutiny. So far I have not seen anything indicating negative effects, though.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @cstehansen - About half of the stevia out there is completely natural, too. Some is chemically made, so you have to be picky about your sources. If you've the natural kind, there should be far less issue, I would think, than a chemical. Same with Monkfruit...etc.
  • tyggerdev
    Options
    The brand I got is "Pyure" and it claims that it's all natural. I think I'm gonna stick with this one.

I've noticed some less expensive "stevia" products say it contains "Rebiana (Stevia Leaf Extract)", while the "organic/natural" ones say "Stevia Leaf Extract natural" or "Reb-A". I'm thinking Rebiana is the processed chemical that becomes less than natural during the process and probably isn't as good as the all natural ones.

I've also noticed that the "organic/natural" ones are using Erythritol as a bulking agent instead of maltodextrin. I think I'm OK with this.

The ones with maltodextrin are just ridiculous.
  • robeylori
    robeylori Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Rebiana, that is also known as Reb-A, is the purified extract responsible for imparting stevia's sweet taste. The only natural or unprocessed form is the leaf itself.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    tyggerdev wrote: »
    I found some sweetener at Walmart that is erythritol and stevia and it's amazing!!

Goodbye Splenda! You've been replaced. ;)

It's astonishing how many "low calorie" sweeteners contain maltodextrin. So misleading!

Yeah that stuff is basically just Walmart brand Truvia, but I remember that it has a third ingredient that made me go for the Truvia. Can't remember what it was now though.
  • KPMURRAY2
    KPMURRAY2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Is Truvia ok?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    KPMURRAY2 wrote: »
    Is Truvia ok?

I used it in my coffee for a while, but since getting my Torani SF syrups, I've pretty much abandoned it. It actually overpowers the syrups in a terrible way, no matter how little I try to use.