Big Pharma just will not give up...

Options

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Drugs aren't cure-alls, but not everyone can un*kitten* themselves through effort and willpower alone.

Statins, for all their evils and fall from Heroes to Goats, exert an anti-inflammatory effect. Considering Alzheimer's, CVD, and God knows what other life-wreckers are associated with inflammation, ya might want to check the bathwater for probiotics before you pitch it.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    The brainwashing is real. A 30 something year old nurse told me she was on it because she didn't want to have a heart attack. How many 30 year olds need to be worried about having a heart attack? Blows my mind.

Ask John Ritter and Billy Mays. ;)

They were both 50 something?

Billy Mays was also on cocaine, not judging him but it wouldn't help his situation either.

I just do not see a reason for anyone to be on statin drugs when we know most peoples issue is with nutrition. Now if they decide to throw nutrition out the window and refuse to change their diet, I suppose that's another story, but step one should be to try addressing food habits first.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    The brainwashing is real. A 30 something year old nurse told me she was on it because she didn't want to have a heart attack. How many 30 year olds need to be worried about having a heart attack? Blows my mind.

Ask John Ritter and Billy Mays. ;)

They were both 50 something?

Billy Mays was also on cocaine, not judging him but it wouldn't help his situation either.

I just do not see a reason for anyone to be on statin drugs when we know most peoples issue is with nutrition. Now if they decide to throw nutrition out the window and refuse to change their diet, I suppose that's another story, but step one should be to try addressing food habits first.

I do agree with you - try the old medicine first!

But even Dr. Bernstein, a Big Pharma skeptic, does recommend Glucophage if diet isn't sufficient to get BG down to non-diabetic levels, and statins in limited circumstances (CVD risk).

I don't want to be the guy St. Peter tells, "We would have met later if you'd taken statins."
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    They think they are the Genie, and all they have to do is fold their arms and blink and the world should just fall in their lap. That's not reality. (And they wouldn't even get that reference...sigh.) Clearly I need to beat that into their heads more. It's the Lazy-pocalypse, and it's here. :confounded:

I did get the reference. Either you are as old as me, or you watch(ed) a lot of reruns.

Speaking of "Lazy-pocalypse" you should watch Idiocracy if you have never seen that movie. It was made several years ago but (unfortunately) has been more prophetic than 1984 was.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    They think they are the Genie, and all they have to do is fold their arms and blink and the world should just fall in their lap. That's not reality. (And they wouldn't even get that reference...sigh.) Clearly I need to beat that into their heads more. It's the Lazy-pocalypse, and it's here. :confounded:

I did get the reference. Either you are as old as me, or you watch(ed) a lot of reruns.

Speaking of "Lazy-pocalypse" you should watch Idiocracy if you have never seen that movie. It was made several years ago but (unfortunately) has been more prophetic than 1984 was.

I'll have to watch Idiocracy.
    I'm about 9 years younger than you. But my parents were in their mid-30s when they had me so I was exposed to a lot more of the so-called "older" stuff.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

Here's the link to a wiki page on the movie Idiocracy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy

It is available to rent for $2.99 from Amazon, VUDU, Google Play & probably other places that don't show up on my streaming device. Don't waste your $2.99...wait until you can see it for free. If you see it offered free, definitely watch. I saw this movie about a year ago...it was free on one of the streaming sites. I agree that it is prophetic (or maybe just a true to time dramatization of how dumbed-down our society has become).
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    So when every kid who acts like a kid is on some sort of ADD medication and everyone over 40 is on statins and every women over 60 is on some sort of osteoporosis drug: Hot dang, we'll all be superhumans!!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    So when every kid who acts like a kid is on some sort of ADD medication and everyone over 40 is on statins and every women over 60 is on some sort of osteoporosis drug: Hot dang, we'll all be superhumans!!

Well, we're definitely on the path to being supersized humans, if that counts.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Hmm. I'm not sher I like that direkshun for hulth car....

idiocracy305.jpg
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Hmm. I'm not sher I like that direkshun for hulth car....

idiocracy305.jpg

Yup...that sums up the movie...don't know where you found the graphics, but I have only one thing to say bout that...."AWESOME" !!
  • RalfLott
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Haha. And better stay away from recreational rectal insertion of objects without handles.... or you'll wind up here.

2976733183_5cccf5b8ee.jpg

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    All the way through Idiocracy, I kept starting to laugh until I realized how close we had become to living in that world and then I wanted to cry and/or throw up. It came out in 2006 and by the time I watched it in 2014, too much of it had come true given it was supposed to be looking 500 years in the future.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Oh big evil pharma which develops and supports research and new treatments and donates tons of money to patient programs. Yup get rid of them and let's just let everyone die
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Nutrition policy didn't change that much once it was assigned to the ADA.

4fccf906-bd9e-43d2-968f-524c8d181f82
  • RalfLott
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Fortunately, the keto-adapted flora of the future got what they needed.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.M5da39623ccf3f92742800ee9670bb419o0%26pid%3D15.1&f=1
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    And we seem to be overlooking the fact that a simple change in diet can lower the risk of a whole suite of chronic diseases and mortality more than any drug or combination of chemicals they are pushing.

When the ADA starts recommending limiting your carbs then we'll start seeing a downward trend in chronic diseases all across the board. Who's going to get rich from that advice though?

Ay. A sick population is a profitable population.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    And we seem to be overlooking the fact that a simple change in diet can lower the risk of a whole suite of chronic diseases and mortality more than any drug or combination of chemicals they are pushing.

When the ADA starts recommending limiting your carbs then we'll start seeing a downward trend in chronic diseases all across the board. Who's going to get rich from that advice though?

And they still keep overlooking the fact lower cholesterol was actually not associated with longer life. Quite the opposite in fact.
    They're still so hung up on the idea that cholesterol absolutely must be low. There's no actual reason for that.