Heartburn

Options
MKknits
MKknits Posts: 184 Member
So the last two days I've had heartburn awful. I've taken probiotics, with higher fat meals I'm using digestive enzymes..what else can I add. I'll take a heart burn pill when it gets really bad but I'd like to figure out how to make this stop without using meds all the time. It always seems to happen in the late afternoon/evening.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    When are you taking the enzymes related to the food? Before, during, after? Are you drinking water immediately prior to, with, or after your meals? Which enzyme did you get, again? If it doesn't have ox bile or some form of acid, you may need to pair it with an acid/bile component. Is there a consistent food among the trigger meals? If you've logged in your diary which meals it's happened with, let me know, and I'll do my best to troubleshoot.

Basically, I have to take a bite or two of food, then take my enzyme. Before food? Heck on wheels. During, OK. After? Misery of a different sort.

If you drink water, it dilutes your existing stomach acid, causing you to need more, and/or can make the stomach acid float to the top of your stomach and create heartburn at the flap.

Anything with peppermint can cause that flap not to close, just as an FYI (as well as conditions, etc., that can also do it).

If your enzyme doesn't have ox bile or an acid component in addition to the rest, I'd either add ACV (liquid, cut in water - or pill), switch to another enzyme, take two with a meal that triggers it, or consider adding a separate Betaine HCL pill. It is remotely possible that it is the enzyme causing the reaction if you don't need it, so you might try not taking it. If you still react, you can always take it later.

It might be that you have a sensitivity to a certain food or types of foods that has been hidden by previous carbicide.

Other possible things - combinations of certain foods. Compromised gallbladder unable to concentrate bile. Compromised liver, unable to create enough bile. Compromised metabolism - combo of those. Extended fasting - can cause constant bile trickle resulting in ... bathroom adventures and various stages of digestive upset.

Again, let me know if any of these hit the mark or if you have other questions. @MKknits
  • grafixfrh
    grafixfrh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Best to drink water about 20 minutes before a meal and 20-30 minutes after give the stomach acid time to digest food at full strength. Most people drink especially cold fluids while eating and it can cause digestive issues.Digestive enzymes are only needed when not able to digest fat or protein properly and that can only be determined through medical analysis. Keto on!!!
  • MKknits
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    When are you taking the enzymes related to the food? Before, during, after? Are you drinking water immediately prior to, with, or after your meals? Which enzyme did you get, again? If it doesn't have ox bile or some form of acid, you may need to pair it with an acid/bile component. Is there a consistent food among the trigger meals? If you've logged in your diary which meals it's happened with, let me know, and I'll do my best to troubleshoot.

Basically, I have to take a bite or two of food, then take my enzyme. Before food? Heck on wheels. During, OK. After? Misery of a different sort.

If you drink water, it dilutes your existing stomach acid, causing you to need more, and/or can make the stomach acid float to the top of your stomach and create heartburn at the flap.

Anything with peppermint can cause that flap not to close, just as an FYI (as well as conditions, etc., that can also do it).

If your enzyme doesn't have ox bile or an acid component in addition to the rest, I'd either add ACV (liquid, cut in water - or pill), switch to another enzyme, take two with a meal that triggers it, or consider adding a separate Betaine HCL pill. It is remotely possible that it is the enzyme causing the reaction if you don't need it, so you might try not taking it. If you still react, you can always take it later.

It might be that you have a sensitivity to a certain food or types of foods that has been hidden by previous carbicide.

Other possible things - combinations of certain foods. Compromised gallbladder unable to concentrate bile. Compromised liver, unable to create enough bile. Compromised metabolism - combo of those. Extended fasting - can cause constant bile trickle resulting in ... bathroom adventures and various stages of digestive upset.

Again, let me know if any of these hit the mark or if you have other questions. @MKknits

It's been the last 3 days, my diary is open to friends so you should be able to check it out. I track and weigh everything. Looking back I had sliced cucumbers around 3ish both days...maybe those aren't agreeing with me. I have a digestive enzyme I got from Rite Aid it doesn't have ox bile and it doesn't seem to trigger more heartburn. When I am done with this bottle I plan to get the NOW one with ox bile. I have some Braggs ACV here I'll dilute some in water and see if that helps.

The only other thing I'm thinking is that I could
    also be getting close to ovulation (I have obsessively tracked all of that for years because I refuse to take BC due to a family history of cancer so I know that is indeed what's going on). Think that is possible that as my hormones change it affects my stomach?

It sounds odd but I feel like this WOE is giving me more clarity on what exactly bothers my stomach. I'm also working to move away from the OTC heartburn meds I used on occasion.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @MKknits - It could possibly be the cucumber, though I would think that might be kind of rare. Oops, I guess not: livestrong.com/article/471722-why-do-cucumbers-upset-my-digestion/ And they can aggravate gastritis. Who knew? Says to peel them (I think "English" cukes would have less of this issue, maybe) and ditch the ends.

RAW VEGGIES, period, bother LOTS of people.

Personally, I'd be thinking more about the oils used in your ranch, the "olive oil" mayo, and the sesame oil. Personally, sesame oil and I are not friends, but if you have an excess of soybean or other low quality oils, that can be a problem. MSG can be a problem, too.

So the heartburn seems to come in late afternoon? So, Sunday past, you didn't have any cucumbers. Did you have heartburn that day?

Particularly stressful part of classes in the afternoon? SO many triggers, but absolutely, when you remove certain triggers that "mask" symptoms, it's a lot easier to pinpoint the true causes.

Hormone changes definitely affect the stomach, if from nothing else than how they affect the entire endocrine system. Looks like the increased progesterone around ovulation can spike heartburn sensitivity, too, if you're sensitive. It can cause the stomach valve not to close all the way. Make sure to avoid peppermint, if you think it might be a factor.

Oh, and are you still having a soda in the afternoons??? That can definitely be a factor, too.

"FYI: Other common heartburn triggers include chocolate (sorry!), caffeine (yeah, that stinks, too, I know), alcohol (you can see this is not going to be your favorite list), peppermint, tomatoes, onions, garlic, citrus fruits and carbonated beverages."
  • MKknits
    Options
    I don't have a soda anymore but sometimes while I'm making supper or with supper I will have flavored seltzer. Most of the foods on that list I don't eat (other then caffeine in the morning).

I didn't eat the cucumber yesterday and no heartburn last night - I'm doing no cucumber today as well (couldn't anyway I only buy one a week and portion it out into 100g containers and my daughter ate the last one), we'll see if that helps.

Stress could definitely factor into it, my group of 7th graders this year are one of the most difficult group of kids due to behaviors that I've had in my 11 years of teaching. I swear I'm developing an eye twitch that just won't stop (and it isn't an electrolyte issue this was going on before I began keto).
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @MKknits - joking aside, I get the eye twitch when I'm low on nutrients, electrolytes, and/or sleep. I haven't had it in a bit. I hope you get some answers! And yay on the cucumber thing. If you don't do the "English" aka seedless ones, you might try them. Braum's usually has them pretty cheap. The skin is thinner and far less bitter. Just a thought, if you're in love with your cucumbers like I am. :) I just heavily salt them though, no ranch for me (blech - I love the seasoning mix or with sour cream as a dip, but I despise ranch dressing...always have).
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    This may have been mentioned before. If so then sorry. I recently bought the Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother in it). It helps with indigestion for me. Research it because you don't want to take it straight. I miss it with a small amount of tart cherry juice and water
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @DebSozo - I think it has been mentioned in other related threads. It had gotten to the point for me, personally that I was taking it with 3 meals a day, and my PCP became concerned about the risk to my dental health since I was a "dilute it just enough to chug it" person - and could not stand doing it more diluted with a straw, so she asked me to use the pills instead, but for acute distress, I do still have Braggs as a back up plan, but I'm using it more in my personal facial care at this point...
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    @MKknits & @KnitOrMiss I am assuming the "eye twitch" you refer to is more precisely "eyelid twitch". If so, the only medical association is stress. The stress can be physical (which could certainly include dietary issues), mental or emotional. Look at all possible triggers. Sorry I can't be of more help on the heartburn issue but I think KnitOrMiss has a lot of good suggestions to consider.
  • MKknits
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Oh no my eyelid twitch is most definitely stress related :) Usually it doesn't start until March - this group stresses me out so much it started in October! :o Well to be fair it could be the kids our it could be the craziness that is my life that brought it on so early. Last March my husband took a job 7 hours away in another state and only comes home on weekends. I'm here teaching full time still, parenting our 3 girls, and trying to sell our house - so it's a stress heavy year for sure. On weekends though it mostly goes away (unless I get mad) so I'm pretty sure it's mostly my students.