STS question

Options
zanyzana
zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
Hi people in the know,

I've heard lots about STS from this group and I'm wondering if it's worth my while purchasing it. My knees and lower back are not very good. I had a disc out between L5/S1 in my early 20's, but it's been ok since then, just sore around TTOM. However, my knees are completely cactus, I struggle with going up and down stairs without pain, I can't squat or lunge or anything like that. They even hurt when I swim and kick my feet

Replies

• zanyzana
    Options
    Crap! I lost half my post.

I've been doing an upper body program I found on bodybuilding.com, but I don't think it's periodised. And to be honest, I don't really understand periodisation! It takes about 1/2 hour, which is pretty much my attention span for working out in my own. I have my own home gym with free weights, dumb bells, bench, some kettle bells and a cheap TRX over the door thing.

Should I try STS? Would it be adaptable to upper body only? Or is there something else that people know of? Can anybody suggest what I could try next? I'm happy to keep with this program for a few more weeks, but know I'll get bored then!

Thanks
    Annette
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I would still totally go for STS.
    You should be able to adapt certain exercises but I wouldn't skip the leg workouts all together.
    You may find that building strength in the supporting muscle, tendons and ligaments around your knees, actually helps with the knee pain.
    I have a friend who has knee problems, actually had one knee replacement and she will not squat at all. She does so deadlifts, lunges, step ups, all sorts of other leg work though.
    There are always alternatives for every exercise. You can adapt one that doesn't work for you or completely substitute it.
    For example I can't do hip thrusts because of my lower disc issues. I've tried different positions, lower weights, but it always feels awkward and I always get lower back pain afterwards. So I substitute with glute bridges. Works the same muscle groups so I'm good with that!
    STS is great because it takes the thinking out of the periodisation. It's just plug and play! Like having your own trainer.
    Sorry to throw another blog post at you! But this does explain periodisation nicely!
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/periodization-key-preventing-plateaus/
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • zanyzana
    Options
    Thanks. I really can't do the leg exercises - it causes so much pain and my x-rays show chronic deterioration of the joints (can't remember the right words for it). I'm hoping to have double knee replacement in a year when my health insurance waiting period is over. I'm not chronic enough to be a public patient, but I don't want to become that incapacitated when I'm only 50 now. Anyway, when the prices drop I'll purchase it and hope for the best.
  • empressichel
    Options
    zanyzana wrote: »
    Thanks. I really can't do the leg exercises - it causes so much pain and my x-rays show chronic deterioration of the joints (can't remember the right words for it). I'm hoping to have double knee replacement in a year when my health insurance waiting period is over. I'm not chronic enough to be a public patient, but I don't want to become that incapacitated when I'm only 50 now. Anyway, when the prices drop I'll purchase it and hope for the best.

Yikes! That's got to be hard to live with. I'm sure you won't regret getting STS anyway.
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator

• zanyzana
    Options
    Hi again, I have now downloaded STS (or some of it - it's enormous! My partner will kill me for using up most or all of our data allowance!!). Now I wonder if there's a best time to start to follow it?

I'm still trying to find TDEE, and have been eating 2600 for about 4 weeks. Evan though I'm seeing a slow climb on the scales, I've decided to keep at 2600 until Xmas (minimum) as I'm likely to increase my general activity over summer and in 3 weeks I start 5 weeks of vacation from work. I'm focusing on increasing the % of protein each day and that is slowly increasing.

Over the last few weeks, I've been doing upper body weight training sessions of roughly 30 minutes twice a week, and walking the dog about 4 times a week. It's been nothing strenuous, really. And I have to avoid the big lifts (squats, deadlifts) because of my knees. So when I start STS, I'll just skip these bits.

Do you think I should start this program now? I'm going away for at least 2 weeks over Xmas and camping for about 5 days before this, so maybe it's not a good time just yet. Is there an appropriate time to start during the whole metabolism reset process? Should I wait until I'm ready to cut (which will be MONTHS away, I think!!).

What would you advise, @empressichel ?

Also, hooray, I'm going to see a pilates teacher who has done wonders for a friend's knee problems. I hope she can help me too - I can't rebuild the damaged joint, but maybe she will help me to build up the muscles around the knees so I don't hurt so much at night time. Fingers crossed!!

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    STS is great when you are on a reset. Most of us who did it in the past, were on reset, or took a maintenance break and ate tdee.
    You can do the first Meso cycle now, and then take two weeks off for your vacation. You can work around the time off and schedule when you can. Or you can wait til you are ready in the new year. There is no right or wrong time to start:) My suggestion is definitely when you are at maintenance and not so much on a cut (especially meso 3):)

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • empressichel
    Options
    If you're happy with the workouts you've been doing recently why not wait until after your holiday?
    As you're starting Pilates at the minute, maybe let your body focus and adjust to that right now. We don't want to throw everything at you!
  • empressichel
    Options
    Shoot! It ate half my post.
  • empressichel
    Options
    I give up. My phone is whack.
    I'll be back!
  • zanyzana
    Options
    Haha! Phones drive me bonkers! I'm happy to hold off til I'm back in a bit more routine. Pilates will only be once a week now, i had a 1:1 to find my needs, then the class happened to be the next day, which was great to retain the movements! I'll just plod along with my regular program on Mon and Fri, walking Biscuit and irregular bike rides when the urge takes me! Half of me is all gung-ho rush rush rush, and the other is "just chill". Whatevs, the tortoise got there before the hare... I've never succeeded long-term with the hare approach, so I'm trying to feed Mr Tortose!
  • empressichel
    Options
    Sorry about that @zanyzana
    On my laptop now!
    I was just saying that when I did STS, I had a trip to Istanbul right at the start and was fretting over how I could work it in, could I find a gym etc etc when someone said to me, why not just wait?
    It is hard not to just rush in with everything, but I love how you are taking your time, implementing one change at a time, this is going to set you up for long term success.
    Oh, and I hear Mr Tortoise likes protein, lots of protein. B)
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and moderator