Good Fats

Options
Hi all

Quick question!! I have been looking around for a few days now and different sites say different things so i thought i would ask here if that is ok ?

I am just after any good true sites on what is the rite fats to be eating on a low carb high fat mod protein diet? Resson i ask is because i eat a lot of bacon i love love love bacon but going to try mix it up with other fatty stuff but want to know what is the rite fats to eat. Thanks guys

Replies

• JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    - EVOO
    - Coconut oil
    - Peanut butter
    - butter
    - almonds, pecans, macadamia nuts
    - Fatty salmon

I usually take straight shots of evoo or drink black coffee with butter and coconut oil lol
  • Danvman1980
    Options
    - EVOO
    - Coconut oil
    - Peanut butter
    - butter
    - almonds, pecans, macadamia nuts
    - Fatty salmon

I usually take straight shots of evoo or drink black coffee with butter and coconut oil lol

Haha thanks for the reply dude. But that's a little extreme for me haha I have coconut oil I use butter. But I don't think that can make a meal hehe I do eat almonds. Not really into fish much. I live in Wales it's basically hills and grass.Farming is a way of life here I mean like proper farms everywhere you look there's sheep and cows in the fields. I get all my meat and eggs from my local butchers and I know for a fact all the meat is local and fresh from the slaughterhouse 2 miles away from me. Peanut butter? Really? I though that would be full of sugar?
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    For the peanut butter you want to look for natural or organic.
  • Danvman1980
    Options
    Really I will have to check that out because I love peanut butter hehe
  • Spicydeene
    Spicydeene Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Is cheese a good fat? I hope so cause I'm eating tons..
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Good info here (reddit FAQ):
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq#wiki_what_are_the_different_kinds_of_fats.3F
    What are the different kinds of fats?

All foods containing fat - even pure oils - contain a mixture of three kinds of fat:

saturated
    polyunsaturated, and
    monounsaturated.

Foods are often identified by their predominant fat; for example, olive oil as “monounsaturated” butter as “saturated” – but all real foods contain mixtures of the three.

All three types of fats are necessary and important to human health and should be incorporated into the diet in a balanced proportion. The question is, what ''is'' balanced.

Saturated fat, particularly in the absence of high carbohydrate intake, is not dangerous to human health — on the contrary, when balanced with mono and poly-unsaturated fats in a controlled carbohydrate dietary environment, saturated fat may actually have real and measurable benefits in a number of different arenas. Saturated fat is quickly oxidized to energy, once you are keto adapted. So you can enjoy plenty of butter and animal fat guilt free. Interestingly, coconut oil is something very different: it consists of Medium Chain Triglycerids (MCT) which cannot be stored by the body, it has to immediately oxidize it. That means when you eat coconut oil, your body will immediately produce ketones, even when you are not keto-adapted. Nevertheless this does not mean you are getting all the metabolic advantages that you would get when keto-adapted state.
    In addition, the benefits of monounsaturated fats (like olive oil) are well known and well documented.
    Fats high in polyunsaturated fats, like vegetable oils, usually contain a lot of omega-6, and very little omega-3. The ideal ratio between omega-6 to omega-3 is 2:1 to 1:1, and in general this ratio is often 20:1 or even worse. It is therefore important to avoid oils high in omega-6, like corn or soy. Vegetable oils that are rich in omega-3 contains it in the form of ALA which the body has to convert to DHA and EPA to be of any use. The conversion is highly inefficient, so in practice ALA omega-3 rich vegetable oils like flaxseed oil or canola are no good choice either. The best way to get omega-3 is through fatty fish like salmon, or with a DHA + EPA supplement.

As a general rule of thumb, avoid fats high in omega-6, and run like hell from highly processed fat(anything that says "hardened", or contains trans-fats) like margarine. Eat foods naturally high in fat like meat, fish, and nuts; use plenty of olive oil, butter. In fact 50% butter with 50% olive oil approximates quite closely the composition of body fat - meaning that this is the type of fat that the body can make best use off.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    This ^^^^^^
  • Spicydeene
    Options
    Thanks Kira - very good info!

Edit to add: I read (somewhere - I think it was in the Atkins New Revelation book I can't recall at the moment) that I should take an Omega 6 supplement and I have them around so I started to, but from reading this article, it appears I shouldn't.

???
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    You want Omega-3's in your diet .... very healthy, good for brain and good for heart. You want a ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 of about 2:1. Don't worry about that too much. Worry about good sources of Omega-3's ... best way to get that is to eat healthy fats. Here's the ideal sources

Free range eggs (best bet here is to buy local at your farmer's market, if you can)
    Grass fed, open range beef
    Wild salmon
    Grass fed butter and cream

I am fortunate enough to live in the Pacific Northwest, so wild salmon is easy to get and not too expensive. My wife and I keep our own chickens, so I know my eggs are free range, good natural feed plus lots of kitchen scraps (they love tomatoes, boiled eggs and steak best). I buy Organic Valley butter and we buy almost all of our beef from our local butcher, who sources his beef from Painted Hills Ranch in Eastern WA.

If you are eating those foods routinely, you will get lots of good Omega-3 oils/fats in your diet.
  • Spicydeene
    Options
    Hi Eric - thanks for clarification. You def have the Omega 3's from natural resources locked down!

I'm in the Mid-Atlantic and the Blue Crab has a nice balance of all three fats saturated (.20g), polyunsaturated (.60g) and
    monounsaturated (.20g) and ZERO CARBS. May not sound like alot of fat but what do you do with a nice hot chunk of crab meat - dip it in BUTTER!!

This will be the first time - in a long time - I will eat my melted butter with NO shame!
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I LOVE blue crab!!!! Every time I am in DC I eat crab every chance I get. Yep, dip it in butter! Man, a crab feed sounds like the perfect thing for tomorrow night!