Gluten Free

Options
jyow01
jyow01 Posts: 123 Member
My daughter has been diagnosed with Gluten allergy since the summer. She has been away at college so only home on occasion. I think when she moves home it will be easier to prepare all of our meals gluten free to avoid cross contamination (this even makes her sick). Anyone have suggestions on how to get the rest of the family on board and recipes to share.

Replies

• mkeihle
    mkeihle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The easiest thing to do is to try and make some of the recipes your family already likes gluten free. There are really good gluten free all-purpose flour substitutes, baking mixes, and hodgson mill has a GF seasoned coating mix that is really good-my fiance loves his fried chicken and even he likes this gluten free version. A quick internet search can show you how to make most dishes gluten free and give you ideas for new recipes; you can also look up Paleo recipes as those are gluten free as well and there are a lot of books and online resources for paleo diets as well. Try not to make things too complicated; you have to make this fit into your life if it is going to work out for your family. For example, if people are having burgers or sandwiches they always worry about having gluten free bread for me, but honestly it is just as easy to have a lettuce wrap. I do recomend canyon bake house or against the grain though if you are looking for good gluten free bread though, a lot of them are terrible.

Another piece of advice is to double check the groceries you will be buying to make sure you are buying everything gluten free: sometime gluten can be in things you wouldn't expect, like spices or lunchmeat. The celiac foundation website can help with that: https://celiac.org/live-gluten-free/glutenfreediet/sources-of-gluten/