Low Carb diabetes intervention TV series on Dutch TV

Options
lodro
lodro Posts: 982 Member
It's a pity it isn't sub-titled in English. This show is called "Live to be a Hundred" and follows 6 people with advanced T2 diabetes. Most are in their late 50s or early 60s and all manage their T2 with huge dosages of insulin and assorted medication.

The intervention is essentially a diet to lessen their glycemic load: low carb with some fruit. And they get a program that focuses around self-care and awareness and most importantly: food buying and cooking skills.

We're now two weeks into the process (the show comes in weekly installments) and 3 participants have been able to ditch all medication, while 3 have been able to stop taking some of it, with their stats improving. All are losing weight. What is also fascinating to watch is that their phenotype changes so markedly, even after a week of being on the new food plan. There's a panel of cardiologists and dieticians commenting on the process and providing medical background information.

Most amazingly to me is that it is broadcast prime time on one of our 3 major national networks.

http://www.bvn.tv/programma/Hoe_word_ik_100

Really encouraging and a sign that the thinking about managing T2D and pre-diabetes/insulin resistance is changing. One fairly shocking moment was when one of the people taking part got told that his glucose was now so under control that he could stop using insulin. He said: "if it's so easy, why didn't my doctor tell me this? " Indeed, why?

Replies

• dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is fantastic!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It's very hard to wrap my mind around the big "why" , in other words:
    "Why isn't this way of eating and handling diabetes, obesity, etc plus other medical issues being shared with the larger community."
    Hopefully you're right and more ppl will learn the truth about flour, rice, pasta & sugar.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That's great! I do wish a similar show would be made here in the US.
    The closest thing was My Diet is Better Than Yours where Able James was one of the Diet coaches and his contestant did amazingly well and I think had to stop taking blood pressure meds by the end of the first week!
    They never mentioned keto though, which is what he was doing.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The closest thing was My Diet is Better Than Yours where Able James was one of the Diet coaches and his contestant did amazingly well and I think had to stop taking blood pressure meds by the end of the first week!

Abel James was on The Wild Diet which is "2/3 plant based, with half your plate in vegetables" per the site and the link to the series. This is keto? I might call it low carb. The diet does avoid white carbohydrates and no grains and includes good moderate fats.

ETA clarity re avoid and includes.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    It is great news that a show like this is prime time.

I watched a British show not long ago that simply made me sad and mad. Two people who had struggled for years with diabetes and obesity, both of whom where eating poorly with lots of donuts etc and beating themselves up over it. Then the NHS lined them up for gastric bypass because they were young enough to benefit. They went for it because it promised hope. The show ended with the message that gastric bypass surgery offered to all diabetics will be cheaper for the nation than dealing with the long term results of uncontrolled diabetes. That may be true but presenting it as the only viable option, just made me mad and sad.

It is good that some countries are showing alternatives to this scenario.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Abel James was on The Wild Diet which is "2/3 plant based, with half your plate in vegetables" per the site and the link to the series. This is keto? I might call it low carb. The diet does avoid white carbohydrates and no grains and includes good moderate fats.

ETA clarity re avoid and includes.

No but he had Kirt specifically eating at keto levels. The wild diet does support using keto when it seems to be necessary.
    He talked about that afterward on his podcast.
  • lodro
    Options
    It is great news that a show like this is prime time.

I watched a British show not long ago that simply made me sad and mad. Two people who had struggled for years with diabetes and obesity, both of whom where eating poorly with lots of donuts etc and beating themselves up over it. Then the NHS lined them up for gastric bypass because they were young enough to benefit. They went for it because it promised hope. The show ended with the message that gastric bypass surgery offered to all diabetics will be cheaper for the nation than dealing with the long term results of uncontrolled diabetes. That may be true but presenting it as the only viable option, just made me mad and sad.

It is good that some countries are showing alternatives to this scenario.

Yes, I think I saw that programme too. What this series demonstrates so well, is that changing the food pattern is a very viable and cost effective treatment option. It's also excellent that two cardiologists are on the panel
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be nice if such show would replace absurdities like Biggest Loser and other "eat less, move more" shows? I hate that I've missed out on some of the shows ya'all have mentioned. Can we start listing not only the title of the shows, but also where it was seen (what network/channel), whether it is currently available on Netflix or other streaming programs?
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone wants to believe the real reason why. It's a "tinfoil hat" theory but in reality doctors of today aren't taught much nutrition wise, they learn how to research and how to fill out prescriptions, the benefits and downfalls of each prescription and probably a ton of information about each company that wants these doctors to hand out or recommend their products. These pharmaceutical companies only profit if they keep the doctors pushing out metformin, insulin and etc so it's in their best interest to keep them on it as long as they can, and continue to blame the patients bad eating habits. Insulin makes you gain weight, you're literally fighting an uphill battle.

/tinfoil hat

I hope that show is dubbed in English and put up on pirate bay because lord knows it will never air in the US.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

I loved that show, the theories around colors affecting how you eat (using blue plates and only having purple sheets) was an interesting theory. The lady who made up taskersizing was nuts tho! Did it come back for another season?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »

I loved that show, the theories around colors affecting how you eat (using blue plates and only having purple sheets) was an interesting theory. The lady who made up taskersizing was nuts tho! Did it come back for another season?

Not that I've seen but it would be amazing! I would love to bulletproof or Primal blueprint or similar represented too.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sad but true.
  • lodro
    Options
    idocdlw wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be nice if such show would replace absurdities like Biggest Loser and other "eat less, move more" shows? I hate that I've missed out on some of the shows ya'all have mentioned. Can we start listing not only the title of the shows, but also where it was seen (what network/channel), whether it is currently available on Netflix or other streaming programs?

It's interesting that they do get to move more, but it's built into their daily lives (start biking to work, take up yoga and tai chi). This is very far removed from shows like The Biggest Losers.
  • lodro
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I don't think anyone wants to believe the real reason why. It's a "tinfoil hat" theory but in reality doctors of today aren't taught much nutrition wise, they learn how to research and how to fill out prescriptions, the benefits and downfalls of each prescription and probably a ton of information about each company that wants these doctors to hand out or recommend their products. These pharmaceutical companies only profit if they keep the doctors pushing out metformin, insulin and etc so it's in their best interest to keep them on it as long as they can, and continue to blame the patients bad eating habits. Insulin makes you gain weight, you're literally fighting an uphill battle.

/tinfoil hat

I hope that show is dubbed in English and put up on pirate bay because lord knows it will never air in the US.

Not to stand up for the laziness of doctors or the profit motive of the pharma companies, but the public is also to blame. You have to admit when you look around at our instant gratification society, the majority just want a pill to make it all better. They may like watching others do extraordinary things, but personally, they don't want to put in the effort to do it themselves.

I find that highly insulting, and untrue in this case. In the first episode they have extensive interviews with the participants, and a medical check up. All are worried about their health, that they see failing before their eyes. All want to do something about this and feel they have to act and take matters in hand, but they don't know how. And all struggle with their carbohydrate intake, which they feel powerless about. And all are simply amazed that a relatively minor lifestyle change has such profound effects. Thing is, no one told them or demonstrated with them that this is at all possible. And I totally agree about one of the possible reasons why management with insulin is so popular: it seems to offer the patient "choice". Yet it also derives from the same misunderstanding: people don't want to put in an effort. This show demonstrates that changing towards health isn't that much of an effort at all. But then, we already know that.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »

/tinfoil hat

Not to stand up for the laziness of doctors or the profit motive of the pharma companies, but the public is also to blame. You have to admit when you look around at our instant gratification society, the majority just want a pill to make it all better. They may like watching others do extraordinary things, but personally, they don't want to put in the effort to do it themselves.

I find that highly insulting, and untrue in this case. In the first episode they have extensive interviews with the participants, and a medical check up. All are worried about their health, that they see failing before their eyes. All want to do something about this and feel they have to act and take matters in hand, but they don't know how. And all struggle with their carbohydrate intake, which they feel powerless about. And all are simply amazed that a relatively minor lifestyle change has such profound effects. Thing is, no one told them or demonstrated with them that this is at all possible. And I totally agree about one of the possible reasons why management with insulin is so popular: it seems to offer the patient "choice". Yet it also derives from the same misunderstanding: people don't want to put in an effort. This show demonstrates that changing towards health isn't that much of an effort at all. But then, we already know that.

I apologize for not being clear in what I was saying. What I was saying is 9 out of 10 people I know with diabetes or other diseases will take a pill or shot over lifestyle change. Think about how over prescribed antibiotics are because people ask for them when it is really just a cold that requires rest and proper hydration. I was not commenting about those on any of these shows as anyone going on a show like this clearly has the motivation to do what they believe is best.

It is like people at work who look at me and say I'm "lucky" because i must have a good metabolism so I can eat my pork rind crusted pork chop and not get fat while they are eating their carbage and keep gaining weight. Actually putting in the effort to stick to any plan is beyond their motivation level. But when some celebrity claims some supplement helped them lose weight without dieting, they are all over it because it is a quick fix.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    There is very little choice at the market for keto eating. Keeping to the perimeter does work, with a few forays into the cleaning products aisle. Still, for those who are getting the bad information, 90% of the "foods" at the market are sugar-sweetened and carb laden.

ETA: I went off my insulin without consulting my doctor (not recommended) because it wasn't lowering my BG and it was making me swell up like a ballon! Since doing that and eating LCHF, my BG has dropped close to 100 points and improving steadily. Doc is impressed with my commitment to "avoid needles"! lol
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Keto way of eating is just unheard of by most my age. Most all diseases stem long term inflammation levels so eating non inflammatory diets just seems logical to me now.
  • lodro
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    There is very little choice at the market for keto eating. Keeping to the perimeter does work, with a few forays into the cleaning products aisle. Still, for those who are getting the bad information, 90% of the "foods" at the market are sugar-sweetened and carb laden.

ETA: I went off my insulin without consulting my doctor (not recommended) because it wasn't lowering my BG and it was making me swell up like a ballon! Since doing that and eating LCHF, my BG has dropped close to 100 points and improving steadily. Doc is impressed with my commitment to "avoid needles"! lol

I always think it's so bizarre that if I'm on a train, say, and I want a quick snack at the station at the end of the day and go into one of those small coffee/snack stores on the platform, there's literally nothing I could eat. It's all carbs, even the "healthy" choices (sweetened yoghurt with granola)
  • lodro
    Options
    lodro wrote: »

/tinfoil hat

I apologize for not being clear in what I was saying. What I was saying is 9 out of 10 people I know with diabetes or other diseases will take a pill or shot over lifestyle change. Think about how over prescribed antibiotics are because people ask for them when it is really just a cold that requires rest and proper hydration. I was not commenting about those on any of these shows as anyone going on a show like this clearly has the motivation to do what they believe is best.

It is like people at work who look at me and say I'm "lucky" because i must have a good metabolism so I can eat my pork rind crusted pork chop and not get fat while they are eating their carbage and keep gaining weight. Actually putting in the effort to stick to any plan is beyond their motivation level. But when some celebrity claims some supplement helped them lose weight without dieting, they are all over it because it is a quick fix.

No apologies necessary. What I found sad about the show is that all participants blame themselves. They mainly think there's something wrong with their level of discipline and willpower. Even with medication (which they hate, as a phenomenon in their lives) Yet they feel they are powerless.